5 5
JerryBaumchen

Abortion Commentary

5 hours ago, billvon said:

Then the rapist was arrested.  This put Yost in a very difficult situation, since he would have to prosecute a man for a crime he said did not happen. 

Luckily for the GOP the child's rapist is an undocumented immigrant. You know, Mexico is not sending their best people.

15 hours ago, GeorgiaDon said:

Well that's interesting.  Can we just "redefine" our way out of this mess?

Any termination in the first trimester (or before "quickening for the history buffs) is not an abortion.

Any termination necessary to protect the health of the "pregnant person" is not an abortion.

Any termination of a pregnancy that results from rape (I include incest under rape) is not an abortion.

etc etc etc

Well, considering the 'prohibitionists' redifined 'baby' to suit their needs...

14 hours ago, ryoder said:

Sad state of afffairs when a doctor must send a cease and desist notice to a state attorney general:

Attorney for doctor who performed 10-year-old's abortion sends cease-and-desist to AG Todd Rokita

That doctor is too bright to waste her time arguing with lawyers.

This reminds me of the surgeon who repaired my knee. He only provided me with a copy of his simple, straight-forward surgical report but refused to engage in conversation with the lawyers hovering around my lawsuit. The surgeon - rightly - believed that arguing with lawyers was worse than a waste of his time. The surgeon's time was far mroe valuable knee-deep in my knee.

More than a thousand rape victims, under 15 alone, a year seek abortions in the US. "In 2017, the last year for which data was available, the institute concluded there were 4,460 pregnancies among girls under 15, with about 44 percent ending in abortion. In Ohio alone, 52 girls under 15 received an abortion in 2020 — an average of one every week, according to the state Department of Health."

So in Texas a woman was forced to carry her dead fetus for two weeks before anyone was willing to remove it.  After all, anyone can sue any doctor for an abortion, even if the fetus is dead.

She survived - fortunately.  She is now wisely moving to a freer state.

Looks like we may see something of a migration of women from Texas to states with more freedom.  After all, even women who are trying to have kids may be injured or killed by the new Texas laws.

https://www.wibw.com/2022/07/18/woman-says-texas-abortion-law-prevented-her-getting-timely-miscarriage-care/

8 minutes ago, billvon said:

So in Texas a woman was forced to carry her dead fetus for two weeks before anyone was willing to remove it.  After all, anyone can sue any doctor for an abortion, even if the fetus is dead.

She survived - fortunately.  She is now wisely moving to a freer state.

Looks like we may see something of a migration of women from Texas to states with more freedom.  After all, even women who are trying to have kids may be injured or killed by the new Texas laws.

https://www.wibw.com/2022/07/18/woman-says-texas-abortion-law-prevented-her-getting-timely-miscarriage-care/

Just terrible and these stories are starting to pop up more and more. It's the dark ages again for women and girls in America. 

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Hi Ken,

We've become a real shit-show, haven't we?

Jerry Baumchen

4 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

Jerry Baumchen

Yes we have. We are living in a changed world now. Nonsense hopes that we can reverse these things and the changes are short term are wrong headed. The purveyors of autocracy and theocracy are in control. People of all ages should plan accordingly.

21 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Nonsense hopes that we can reverse these things and the changes are short term are wrong headed.

Watch the midterms and even more carefully watch the results at the state level in the most wrong wing states. Then you will know if it is time to flee or if there is hope.

15 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Watch the midterms and even more carefully watch the results at the state level in the most wrong wing states. Then you will know if it is time to flee or if there is hope.

The time to plan a bolt hole was years ago; panicked fleeing isn't my style. I have a good thing in Oregon and have great staff everywhere; we expect it to continue on. At 68 I am past the age of fertility, and probably fertilizing, so I have that going for me. All of my frustrations are for others who are affected, not us personally. All of my family are here in Oregon and I doubt the important freedoms will change here. But those things aren't on my mind. On my mind is how wether we want to or not. or like it or not, we are aligning ourselves separately, not unlike Ron and his cohorts, into like thinking groups. That's the anthesis of a homogenous society and from what I see that's where we are headed. That's a bummer.

Excellent!!!

Indiana AG’s comments endangered abortion provider, complaint says

The newly filed complaint against Indiana’s top prosecutor is expected to trigger a probe by the state’s Supreme Court Disciplinary Commission after Rokita, a Republican, claimed last week on Fox News that physician Caitlin Bernard had a “history of failing to report” abortions in child-abuse cases and rapidly launched an investigation into her licensure.

13 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

Jerry Baumchen

Not just the US, it is everywhere really.

I am convinced that the free flow of information in its current state is absolutely detrimental to society as a whole. Most of us are simply not smart enough to deal with it.

No, I don't know what the solution is. But I do think the result will be events that will lead to being forced to reduce your sphere of information. When only what happens immediately around you becomes important.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Some people are simply lost in time:  concludes that if you are pro-choice, you aren’t Catholic.

Portland Archbishop Goes on The Offensive on Abortion (wweek.com)

One has to wonder how many Catholics use birth control methods & still consider themselves Catholics.

Jerry Baumchen

Large numbers.

Since 1960, the majority of women in Quebec are on some form of birth control on a regular basis.

The majority of people living in Quebec are still nominally Catholic, but only attend church during major high holidays, marials and burials.

1 hour ago, riggerrob said:

Large numbers.

Since 1960, the majority of women in Quebec are on some form of birth control on a regular basis.

The majority of people living in Quebec are still nominally Catholic, but only attend church during major high holidays, marials and burials.

Really the same for all religions. Majority of followers are not devout and pick and choose which parts of the religion they wish to follow.

• Like 1