6 6
JerryBaumchen

Abortion Commentary

38 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

Then you use political persuasion/pressure to "change their mind". Not specifically in this case, but said senator is highly corrupt. Threaten to use that against them, and if they don't fall in-line with the rest of the democrats, FOLLOW THROUGH. Just don't talk behind closed doors then do nothing.

Not going to work. Rule #1 of coercion is don't bluff. Right now, that's all they have. 

On 6/29/2022 at 8:51 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi 2005,

If I were not here, would you notice?

Jerry Baumchen

You can't be serious.  You can't define your worth by whether or not some random guy in a completely different part of the country notices your existence or not.  

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

Perhaps he should finally buy that boat he's always wanted and fish for compliments elsewhere. . .

I’m not at all sure he is. In all honesty, the world would be infinitesimally different without any single one of us in it. And since we’d never existed, no one would know.

Consider that even when an important public person dies, our individual lives continue, and after awhile we quit noticing the difference. When an important person to us (parent, spouse, child as examples) dies, life is altered for a small circle. We’re each dots on a speck  

Wendy P. 

2 hours ago, Coreece said:

Perhaps he should finally buy that boat he's always wanted and fish for compliments elsewhere. . .

Are we reading the same thread? I'm pretty sure the answer he was looking for was "no".

On 7/1/2022 at 5:52 AM, wolfriverjoe said:

" ... Where protests against abortion bans or voter suppression or that sort of thing start turning violent, groups like the Proud Boys jump in and start attacking their 'enemies', and then general chaos ensues. "

Proud Boys, Antifa, etc. don't really care about the issues, politics, religion, ethics, morals, etc. they just enjoy a good riot, vandalism, arson, looting, breaking other people's stuff, etc.

• Like 2

(edited)
2 hours ago, headoverheels said:

Ten year old has to go across state lines to get abortion services.  If Republicans get control, one might need to have a passport.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/2022/07/01/ohio-girl-10-among-patients-going-indiana-abortion/7788415001/

She went to Indiana??? Having been born & raised there, (it was a mistake I rectified after graduating college), I'm surprised it was legal.

Edited by ryoder

Let's not forget that Republicans voted against expanding the Child Tax Credit, against increased funding for baby formula, and against paid family and medical leave.

Claiming to be pro-family is pure hypocrisy.  It's just about control.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ryoder said:

She went to Indiana??? Having been born & raised there, (it was a mistake I rectified after graduating college), I'm surprised it was legal.

They just weren't ready to ban it quickly enough. It's a sad state of affairs when the availability of important medical care for this small child was not a result of the Indiana legislature being more moral than Ohio's, but because they are less competent.

6 minutes ago, kallend said:

Let's not forget that Republicans voted against expanding the Child Tax Credit, against increased funding for baby formula, and against paid family and medical leave.

It's important for kids to be alive, not for them to have a good life. Things like adequate nutrition are mere luxuries that the government has no business being involved with.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wmw999 said:

In all honesty, the world would be infinitesimally different without any single one of us in it. And since we’d never existed, no one would know.

Exactly, we don't know.  There is no way humanly possible to quantify anyone's net positive or negative (butterfly) effect they have on the rest of the world.  Perhaps after we die there will be some type of public ledger or printout.

23 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Consider that even when an important public person dies, our individual lives continue, and after awhile we quit noticing the difference. When an important person to us (parent, spouse, child as examples) dies, life is altered for a small circle.

They may quit noticing, but that's just how our brains are rigged so we can move on.  Doesn't mean that the effects of that on the rest of the world and those around us have ceased.

Jerry said that he felt that the world is not really better because he's here.  I contend that for most people there is no way to know that.

Someone simply asked him 'why' he felt that way.  My comment was just a vain attempt in goading him to actually answer the question . . .at least without another question. 

In the end, all we can really do is focus our attention inward and try to become the best version of ourselves as possible, and if we can do that then maybe the world becomes a better place.

22 hours ago, jakee said:

Are we reading the same thread? I'm pretty sure the answer he was looking for was "no".

Fine, but what's the point?  I've always felt that the pro-choice movement (as well as the spirit of humanity/freedom) was more effective and better served by distancing itself from pro-abortion type arguments.  There were even liberals/progressives here saying that they're both pro-choice AND anti-abortion.  Not in the angry, protesting baby killer way, but in the sense that they promoted choice and prevention to avoid abortion rather than advocating for it.  That probably in itself had the most profound effect in how I then viewed the pro-choice movement.

10 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Fine, but what's the point?  I've always felt that the pro-choice movement (as well as the spirit of humanity/freedom) was more effective and better served by distancing itself from pro-abortion type arguments.  

Does that even matter? Support for a full ban on abortion is at less than 20% in the US. Support for widely available abortion is over 60%. When it comes to arguing the case, the pro-choice movement has won. They have made their case to the American people and they have comprehensively succeeded in convincing them. 

This isn’t a discussion about abortion anymore. This is just another discussion about the myriad anti-democratic manipulations and abuses of political procedure perpetrated by the Republican Party in order to force their radical ideology onto a populace that does not want it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jakee said:

This isn’t a discussion about abortion anymore. This is just another discussion about the myriad anti-democratic manipulations and abuses of political procedure perpetrated by the Republican Party in order to force their radical ideology onto a populace that does not want it.

The Supreme Court of Canada said it very well in the 1988 case R. v. Morgentaler.

“Forcing a woman, by threat of criminal sanction, to carry a foetus to term unless she meets certain criteria unrelated to her own priorities and aspirations, is a profound interference with a woman’s body and thus an infringement of security of the person.”

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, kallend said:

The Supreme Court of Canada said it very well in the 1988 case R. v. Morgentaler.

“Forcing a woman, by threat of criminal sanction, to carry a foetus to term unless she meets certain criteria unrelated to her own priorities and aspirations, is a profound interference with a woman’s body and thus an infringement of security of the person.”

Just goes to show that no one should be judged by how they dress.

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 10.18.28 AM.png

• Like 1

(edited)
7 hours ago, kallend said:

Hi John,

Just like all religions.

Jerry Baumchen

ETA:  Joycelin Elders said, 'The Republicans love the fetus & hate the child.'  IMO she was 100% correct.

Joycelyn Elders - Wikipedia

Edited by JerryBaumchen
  • Like 1