5 5
JerryBaumchen

Abortion Commentary

6 hours ago, airdvr said:

Well let's see.  I'd lay it at the feet of RBG.  Not sure why she hung on to that seat for so long.

As far as voting conservative; I'm a product of my belief system and my upbringing.  I won't apologize for that.

You say that - but shouldn’t taking responsibility for the consequences of your own actions be one of those beliefs? 

“Well sure I’ve spent my whole life voting for people who wanted to do exactly what they just did but it’s not my fault! That one old lady over there shouldn’t have let me get away with it!”

5 hours ago, airdvr said:

I'm seeing everyone losing their minds over Roe.  A terrible decision but not the end of the world.  Abortions are still available.  Many other forms of contraception are available. RU-486 is basically an abortion in pill form.

I look for congress to pass something to counter losing Roe.

Could there be a stupider or more callous right wing talking pint doing the rounds? Abortions are not available for millions of people now. If a pill is as good as an abortion why do abortions as a medical procedure still exist? Why would someone want that if just taking a pill was basically the same. Probably because it really isn’t. The big one though, a pill won’t help someone who turns up at the hospital with a life threatening condition from a pregnancy gone wrong. Neither will the theoretical ability to travel to another state.  Those women will just die, and so will their fetuses. To me, and maybe to you, that’s a tragedy. To the Supreme Court you voted for, they’re just roadkill. They’ll keep ploughing ahead with their theocratic agenda.

And Congress, again what have your lifelong votes done to help create a congress that would do that? When you have to keep looking at the Dems to be the grownups in the room to stop the people you voted for from being able to do what they always said they wanted to do - does that not make you want to stop and think for a second?

6 hours ago, olofscience said:

No raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood.

I get that you all want to blame the Republicans for all of the ills of the country.   Trump appointed conservative judges... a lot of them.  Barry appointed more but had 8 years.  Since legislation from the bench is the order of the day we need to fix the situation.

By 2042 most of the conservative old white men will be dead.  Problem solved.

I am startled by the stance taken by apparently literate people regarding abortion, the SC being but a subset.  It goes to support my observation that religion is but mental malware which exploits a vulnerability amongst neurotypicals.

One approach that might work is to avoid abortions altogether, but to be able do induce birth at any stage of pregnancy.  If the fetus is viable, every measure should be taken to keep it alive.  If it is but a zygote, good luck with that.

"Gosh, I'm completely opposed to abortion, but figure that the Good Lord will take care of the Baby if it is His will!"

It turns out that someone else has a t shirt like mine, saying "THANK GOD FOR ABORTION."   However, it does not say on the back "PRENATAL, POSTNATAL, WHATEVER..."

BSBD,

Winsor

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

I get that you all want to blame the Republicans for all of the ills of the country.   Trump appointed conservative judges... a lot of them.  Barry appointed more but had 8 years.  Since legislation from the bench is the order of the day we need to fix the situation.

No, but in the case of (for example) judges, yes, Obama appointed more — but if you’ll recall there was a lot of blocking — no matter who, as long as Obama wanted to appoint them, they were blocked. And since it’s possible to find something negative to say about every person in the world (for instance: they lied under oath in their confirmation hearing), anyone looking for a reason to think that was OK found one. Just look at the discussion here over the shameful Merrick Garland affair, and then the complete turnabout when it was time to appoint Barrett.

Truly, in these days of weaponizing politics and the rules, the ends seem to justify whatever means. I think that goes directly against the rule of law — there is intent, and not just wording, in laws.

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

Barry. Even now you can't bring yourself to write President Obama or just Obama. Transparency is a difficult thing to see, it seems. There is no similarity. Republicans fought Obama every step of the way and gave Trump every unqualified, lying, hack (think the mask judge) he nominated all to achieve a judicial end not societal justice. Republicans aren't to blame for all of the ills of the country, that's just a deflection on your part. But we are blaming them for the wholesale destruction of individual rights, the misguided concentration of immeasurable wealth in the hands of a few while kids in barrios can't afford food for school lunch much less eye operations, for stupidly and carelessly steering our nation towards a theocratic autocracy and away from a democracy that from inception was fragile and always relied on the trust and fidelity of honest brokers. That we are claiming.

• Like 4

(edited)
12 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

" ... conservatives are trying to make the two pills or travel to safe haven states illegal? Do you not realize that many soon to be mothers can't afford to travel? What about US soldiers, who happen to be among the 15% who are female, assigned to bases in states where abortion is illegal now and who have commanders who refuse to help? ..."

Valid point.

CBC Radio just interviewed a Detroit-based doctor who arranges something like 6,000 abortions per year, but she worries about how the latest SCOTUS decision will affect her poorest patients.

OTOH she a single bridge away from Windsor, Ontario, a large city blessed with first-rate, Canadian hospitals, but she fears that sending an extra 6,000 patients per year will overwhelm Canadian hospitals.

She also worries that her poorer patients will struggle to gas their cars, find some one to mind their small children, missing a day's work (at an unstable, minimum-wage job), etc.

A conservative military base commander can crush that sort of inter-state medical travel, forcing a single, female private soldier to give birth to the results of a drunken fling. Base commanders need to seriously consider the 20-year costs of a single mother raising and infant.

Perhaps military medical officers need to be held to a different standard. Patient confidentiality should be paramount, with referrals to other clinics for non-disclosed treatment. Perhaps send the female private on a one-week course at a base in another state??????

This reminds me of a tale from my military service. I was a young, single, Protestant, liberal, private (E5) with lofty sexual ambitions. My ambitions often exceeded the interests of young women that I met. But I still carried a condom on the off chance that I might meet a young woman as horny as me. Sick bay provided me with free condoms because free condoms were cheaper than the medicines needed to cure syphilis, etc. This was before herpes, AIDS, etc.

OTOH, one of my French-Canadian co-workers was married with 2 or 3 children, conservative and Catholic. He and his wife agreed that they were struggling to feed their current family and could not afford any more children on a Master Corporal's salary. BUT he also knew that if he asked the medical officer for condoms, birth-control pills, etc. that the medical officer would share his request with the base Catholic padre and his request would soon result in an embarrassing "confession" with the Catholic padre. So he asked me to provide him with condoms. .......

Edited by riggerrob
add a sentence

22 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

Valid point.

CBC Radio just interviewed a Detroit-based doctor who arranges something like 6,000 abortions per year, but she worries about how the latest SCOTUS decision will affect her poorest patients.

OTOH she a single bridge away from Windsor, Ontario, a large city blessed with first-rate, Canadian hospitals, but she fears that sending an extra 6,000 patients per year will overwhelm Canadian hospitals.

She also worries that her poorer patients will struggle to gas their cars, find some one to mind their small children, missing a day's work (at an unstable, minimum-wage job), etc.

A conservative military base commander can crush that sort of inter-state medical travel, forcing a single, female private soldier to give birth to the results of a drunken fling. Base commanders need to seriously consider the 20-year costs of a single mother raising and infant.

Perhaps military medical officers need to be held to a different standard. Patient confidentiality should be paramount, with referrals to other clinics for non-disclosed treatment. Perhaps send the female private on a one-week course at a base in another state??????

This reminds me of a tale from my military service. I was a young, single, Protestant, liberal, private (E5) with lofty sexual ambitions. My ambitions often exceeded the interests of young women that I met. But I still carried a condom on the off chance that I might meet a young woman as horny as me. Sick bay provided me with free condoms because free condoms were cheaper than the medicines needed to cure syphilis, etc. This was before herpes, AIDS, etc.

OTOH, one of my French-Canadian co-workers was married with 2 or 3 children, conservative and Catholic. He and his wife agreed that they were struggling to feed their current family and could not afford any more children on a Master Corporal's salary. BUT he also knew that if he asked the medical officer for condoms, birth-control pills, etc. that the medical officer would share his request with the base Catholic padre and his request would soon result in an embarrassing "confession" with the Catholic padre. So he asked me to provide him with condoms. .......

I just love the image of some guy asking if you had a condom.

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

I get that you all want to blame the Republicans for all of the ills of the country.   

We’re blaming Republicans for what they did.

It makes a hell of a lot more sense than you blaming one dead liberal for what the Republicans just did.

• Like 1

The blame also lies with the (Corporate) democrats. Let's not forget that they did have a way of slowing down and/or blocking the confirmation of Barrett. They could have started another impeachment of Trump which would have superseded the nomination process. They could have attempted to increase the court size. They could have gotten rid of the filibuster and codified Row or something similar 2 years ago. But instead they chose (and continue) to do nothing. Thoughts and prayers, everyone.

I saw it on-line where someone said history is going to look back at this time and say WTF when a decision like this went down during the first time we had a woman democrat vice president and when asked what the administration would do about this, her answer was, "What can we do?"

I will go one further than Jerry Baumchen and say it is time to clean house of  both the Rs and Ds. They are both responsible for this decision.

7 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

The blame also lies with the (Corporate) democrats. Let's not forget that they did have a way of slowing down and/or blocking the confirmation of Barrett. They could have started another impeachment of Trump which would have superseded the nomination process. They could have attempted to increase the court size. They could have gotten rid of the filibuster and codified Row or something similar 2 years ago. But instead they chose (and continue) to do nothing. Thoughts and prayers, everyone.

Mate, how clueless are you? There is ONE Democrat senator who made it clear he would not support any of those measures under any circumstances, and that’s it. When you have a majority of zero and one guy doesn’t want to use it then you don’t have a majority and you can’t do anything. And again, blaming the Democrats for what the Republicans did is simply nonsense, it’s just a ploy by Republican voters to absolve themselves of their own guilt.

11 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

I saw it on-line where someone said history is going to look back at this time and say WTF when a decision like this went down during the first time we had a woman democrat vice president and when asked what the administration would do about this, her answer was, "What can we do?"

What can they do? 

4 hours ago, airdvr said:

I get that you all want to blame the Republicans for all of the ills of the country.

No, here I am blaming republicans for this particular ill.

From now on in many states a 14 year old girl can be raped - and she won't be able to get an abortion unless her family can afford to take her to a freer state.  And yes, I blame republicans for that.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

The blame also lies with the (Corporate) democrats. Let's not forget that they did have a way of slowing down and/or blocking the confirmation of Barrett. They could have started another impeachment of Trump which would have superseded the nomination process. They could have attempted to increase the court size. They could have gotten rid of the filibuster and codified Row or something similar 2 years ago. But instead they chose (and continue) to do nothing.

You have two parties here.

One has been working nonstop to take away women's rights.

A second has been working to protect them.  They have succeeded for over 50 years - and they just suffered a defeat.

So you think that makes them the same.

OK then.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, airdvr said:

As far as voting conservative; I'm a product of my belief system and my upbringing.  I won't apologize for that.

I think this is less true of Liberals. I mentioned previously on these pages, most recently with BillEisele I believe, that many people who believe they are the sole authors of their worldview are really just products of their neighborhood barbecue's and fishing trips. To your credit, at least you make the admission.

• Like 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, CygnusX-1 said:

I will go one further than Jerry Baumchen and say it is time to clean house of  both the Rs and Ds. They are both responsible for this decision.

Hi X-1 [ my bad ],

The better thing IMO is simply to get rid of all political parties.  One should have to run as the person they are & what they stand for.

Remember, Trump once made an attempt at the POTUS nomination as a D.

Jerry Baumchen

Edited by JerryBaumchen
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, airdvr said:

Abortions are still available. 

Republicans are trying to make it illegal for women to travel to get an abortion.  If they succeed, then abortions will NOT be available for women.  In fact, they could be arrested and jailed for even trying - as could anyone who helps them.

So if you have a friend who's a woman, who was raped and now needs an abortion - if you help her travel to another state to get that abortion, you could end up in jail.

Many other forms of contraception are available.

Republicans are working to end avaiability of contraceptives as well.  Thomas has stated that he thinks that decisions like Griswold should be revisited.  Griswold was the decision that guaranteed married couples the right to get contraception.

Right now they are just attacking women's rights.  But if you think they will stop there - you haven't been paying attention.

Just now, airdvr said:

Never happen.  A fine example of how the media works over the left as well as the right.

The point is that they are trying. I'm not sure how you can believe it can never happen given what is happening now. Maybe dig your head out from under the sand.