5 5
JerryBaumchen

Abortion Commentary

10 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Wendy,

How about we make it a little personal?

Do you think the world is better off because you are here?

I have often felt that the world is not really better because I'm here.

Jerry Baumchen

Exactly. I try to improve things I see, but I’m not unique there. I’m certainly not earth-shaking or earth-saving

Wendy P. 

Hi folks,

Looks poor for Biden:   since the ruling, (Biden’s) visibility as part of the response has been limited

Abortion-rights supporters vent their frustration at Biden and Democrats : NPR

One more nail in the 'I will not run again,' coffin.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  It was probably about 1967 when LBJ realized he would not be a shoe-in for the '68 election.

26 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Wendy,

Jerry Baumchen

The world owes us nothing. And the world needs no people at all. We each need who we need individually.

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Wendy,

Jerry Baumchen

Such modesty!

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Wendy,

Jerry Baumchen

Really? If you truly feel that way you'll need to take a number and stand in line.

12 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Wendy,

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Jerry,

I like to think I make the world a little bit better place for those around me.

My job is one that was considered 'essential' during the shut downs.

But that's true of millions of others, too.

And when compared against the damage I do to the environment and the resources I consume, I don't think I bring a "net positive" to the earth.

And, back to the original topic, I've heard since last week that places that restrict abortion have higher rates of infanticide than places that have good access to safe abortions. You know, the kid's going to die, it's just a matter of when.
However, I can't find good data on that.

Just that infant mortality (all causes) is higher in places without good access to abortion services. Particularly among younger mothers.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7312072/

13 hours ago, wmw999 said:

I heard the Missouri polítician who drove their bill explain it. At least some of the children of rapists (the ones she spoke to) feel their life is worth living. Remember that women who gave birth sometimes need to justify to themselves why it was right in retrospect, and it’s  pretty clear that she only really heard one set of respondents  

People who cannot conceive of a world without them are, I think, more likely to be anti-abortion. Because the lives we have now are destiny, or something like that.

Wendy P. 

So where do you draw the line?

54 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Without Roe I would have...

I hope that all the states so eager to ban abortion will be every bit as vigorous about compelling the fathers to bear their share of the costs of caring for the kids they generate.  No getting out of it by declaring bankruptcy either.  

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

Terrible decision.  Without Roe I would have a 47 year old child who was the product of an affair.

I have a good friend who was all set to become an engineer; it’s completely in his nature. But he got a girl pregnant, and gave up on college, became a machinist, and paid child support (along with being an involved father). He doesn’t really have any regrets — except for the pregnancy in the first place. Of course he wonders where he’d be and what he’s be doing if there had been an abortion (or better birth control than most high school students manage)

Wendy P. 

6 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Hi Jerry,

I like to think I make the world a little bit better place for those around me.

My job is one that was considered 'essential' during the shut downs.

But that's true of millions of others, too.

And when compared against the damage I do to the environment and the resources I consume, I don't think I bring a "net positive" to the earth.

And, back to the original topic, I've heard since last week that places that restrict abortion have higher rates of infanticide than places that have good access to safe abortions. You know, the kid's going to die, it's just a matter of when.
However, I can't find good data on that.

Just that infant mortality (all causes) is higher in places without good access to abortion services. Particularly among younger mothers.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7312072/

Few people like to talk about it, but during previous centuries, mid-wives ocassionally suffocated infants at birth, especially if the infant was pre-mature, under-weight, deformed, etc.. That practice was not discussed in polite company.

5 hours ago, airdvr said:

Terrible decision.  Without Roe I would have a 47 year old child who was the product of an affair.

I’m curious if you think that any of the conservative votes you’ve made helped to fertilize the tree that bore this fruit.

3 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I’m curious if you think that any of the conservative votes you’ve made helped to fertilize the tree that bore this fruit.

Well let's see.  I'd lay it at the feet of RBG.  Not sure why she hung on to that seat for so long.

As far as voting conservative; I'm a product of my belief system and my upbringing.  I won't apologize for that.

12 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Well let's see.  I'd lay it at the feet of RBG.  Not sure why she hung on to that seat for so long.

You can lay one perjuring, conservative, Justice at her feet. 

13 minutes ago, airdvr said:

As far as voting conservative; I'm a product of my belief system and my upbringing.  I won't apologize for that.

Any member of any group, including the Taliban, the KKK, or the worshipers of the Hindu God Hanuman could say the same. The bottom line is that conservative voters gave us what we have today and it didn't happen overnight or at one local, state or federal election. 

• Like 3

(edited)
36 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

I'll say that many skydives would be incomplete without you.

Hi Phil,

I think there was more than one that the other guys/gals probably wished I had not been born.  ¬¬

C'est la vie,

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  If you were not jumping in the 60's & missed out on the days of combat RW, your skydiving career has a void in it.

;P

Edited by JerryBaumchen

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

You can lay one perjuring, conservative, Justice at her feet. 

Any member of any group, including the Taliban, the KKK, or the worshipers of the Hindu God Hanuman could say the same. The bottom line is that conservative voters gave us what we have today and it didn't happen overnight or at one local, state or federal election. 

You left out Hitler.

I'm seeing everyone losing their minds over Roe.  A terrible decision but not the end of the world.  Abortions are still available.  Many other forms of contraception are available. RU-486 is basically an abortion in pill form.

I look for congress to pass something to counter losing Roe.

17 minutes ago, airdvr said:

You left out Hitler.

I'm seeing everyone losing their minds over Roe.  A terrible decision but not the end of the world.  Abortions are still available.  Many other forms of contraception are available. RU-486 is basically an abortion in pill form.

Well, that right to privacy and decision-making might not be important to you. The right to bear arms isn't that important to me. Get it?

What would your reaction be to a re-reading of the Second, to include the mandate for enrollment in a formal militia?

Wendy P.

• Like 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, airdvr said:

You left out Hitler.

Classic conservative so what-ism: it's not you and the affected parties will sort it out somehow. Are you that out of touch so as not to realize, or just plain know, that conservatives are trying to make the two pills or travel to safe haven states illegal? Do you not realize that many soon to be mothers can't afford to travel? What about US soldiers, who happen to be among the 15% who are female, assigned to bases in states where abortion is illegal now and who have commanders who refuse to help?

This: "As far as voting conservative; I'm a product of my belief system and my upbringing.  I won't apologize for that." is nothing short of a complete denial of responsibility for your politics. That was the point, not Hitler. 

So what if you won't apologize for the votes your upbringing forced you to make, but were probably far from against your will, instead maybe be thankful that a lot of liberals were able to shake off the yoke of their conservative upbringing and make it possible for you to not have a 47 year old illegitimate kid. The world around you isn't the world you think it is. That's a fact.

Edited by JoeWeber
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

I'm seeing everyone losing their minds over Roe.  A terrible decision but not the end of the world.  Abortions are still available.

And if the Supreme Court said that gun ownership was a collective but not an individual right (which is a reasonable intepretation) you could still get guns in some states.  Other weapons would be available.  You could still hunt in many places, and no one needs to hunt anyway.  It would be no big deal.

But the right wing would lose their f&cking minds, and the resulting riot would make Jan 6th look like a kid's party.

• Like 2