5 5
JerryBaumchen

Abortion Commentary

Hi folks,

While the very recent SCOTUS decision was not a surprise ( due to the previous 'leaked' memo ), I hope that every voter who is opposed to this decision will choose to vote against every GOP candidate on their ballot.

It will be IMO the first step in our taking back this country.

I ask of you:  No exceptions, no GOP votes.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

While the very recent SCOTUS decision was not a surprise ( due to the previous 'leaked' memo ), I hope that every voter who is opposed to this decision will choose to vote against every GOP candidate on their ballot.

It will be IMO the first step in our taking back this country.

I ask of you:  No exceptions, no GOP votes.

Jerry Baumchen

I've voted mostly R for my entire adult life. 

I had never voted D for a major (national) candidate...

Until the last election.

I have absolutely no plans on voting R again. EVER.

Dogcatcher? Nope.
Garbage commissioner? Nope (not that we have that one locally).

16 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

A slip of the tongue my ass:  historic victory for white life

She knew exactly what she was saying, look at who is behind her & supporting her.

Rep. Mary Miller tells a crowd the end of Roe is a 'victory for white life.' : NPR

Jerry Baumchen

You are both right. Its a slip of the tongue because its a dog whistle that everyone heard. Many repulsivecans don't want their real motivations to be exposed.

If all those hard-core, right-winged, white-privilege, replacement-conspiracy, voters put their ass where their sass is, they would ban all forms of birth control for white women, but provide all forms of birth-control to blacks, latinos, asians, gays, etc. FOR FREE.

How many decades before those arch-conservatives figure out that the average white family can only afford to educate two - maybe three - children all the way through college.

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

As an old 'rock & roller', I have absolutely no clue who the young ladies are, or any idea what material they have out.

But Joe's absolutely correct.

That was AWESOME

Other than I think I saw one of them modeling shoes on a Dolce and Gabbana sign, and even that is fuzzy, I had no idea who they were. So, me too.

35 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Other than I think I saw one of them modeling shoes on a Dolce and Gabbana sign, and even that is fuzzy, I had no idea who they were. So, me too.

Hi Joe & Joe,

You can now officially consider yourselves Old Guys.

Welcome to the club.

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, riggerrob said:

Lily Allan has been an outspoken feminist for many years. She also delvers most fo her songs with a sense of humor.

One of the sharpest lyricists around for sure. Wouldn’t want to get on her bad side! 

11 minutes ago, ryoder said:

More like a weeklong music festival where the artists happened to be when the news broke:

I think he means in general. By the sound of it if Clarence Thomas gets his way then places like Hungary will be able to preach to the USA about freedom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe & Joe,

You can now officially consider yourselves Old Guys.

Welcome to the club.

Jerry Baumchen

Oh, I've considered myself an 'old guy' for some time.

A number of years ago, I ended up with a cold at SDC Summerfest. 
So I sat around a lot.
Fortunately, the 'crusty old guys' had a tent set up, and spent a lot of time sitting around swapping stories.
I was both proud and a bit sad that I fit right in, and even had a couple good stories to share too.

One of them told me that 'crusty old guy' is a compliment in skydiving. 

It means that you've hung around long enough (and survived) to earn the title.

My 20th sky birthday is coming up in August.

• Like 2

CNN — 6/28

Most Americans disapprove of the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe vs. Wade, according to a CBS News/YouGov poll conducted Friday and Saturday in the immediate wake of the ruling.

A 59% majority of US adults disapprove, with 41% approving. About half (52%) call the decision a step backward for America, with 31% calling it a step forward and 17% saying it’s neither.

Among women, two-thirds (67%) disapprove of the ruling, with just 33% approving. A 56% majority of women say that the decision will make the lives of most American women worse.

A 58% majority of Americans say they’d favor a federal law making abortion legal nationwide, while 42% would oppose this. And 64% say they’d like abortion in their states to be legal in most or all cases.

Most Americans now say they believe it’s at least somewhat likely that the Supreme Court will eventually end or limit same-sex marriage (57%) and access to birth control and contraception (55%). Only 33% say they have a great deal or quite a lot of confidence in the Supreme Court, with 23% saying they have just some confidence and 44% that they have very little confidence in the Supreme Court.

On 6/26/2022 at 11:12 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

A slip of the tongue my ass:  historic victory for white life

She knew exactly what she was saying, look at who is behind her & supporting her.

Rep. Mary Miller tells a crowd the end of Roe is a 'victory for white life.' : NPR

Jerry Baumchen

Issues/things like this embarrass me to be a white person, let alone a straight white male in his forties.

Happens rather a lot lately.

I simply don't see how forcing a rape victim to go through 9 months of pregnancy, totally disrupt her life, and then be forced to give birth to her rapist's child can be considered anything but cruel, unusual, and a total and complete  violation of her rights.

Maybe someone can explain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kallend said:

I simply don't see how forcing a rape victim to go through 9 months of pregnancy, totally disrupt her life, and then be forced to give birth to her rapist's child can be considered anything but cruel, unusual, and a total and complete  violation of her rights.

Maybe someone can explain.

I heard the Missouri polítician who drove their bill explain it. At least some of the children of rapists (the ones she spoke to) feel their life is worth living. Remember that women who gave birth sometimes need to justify to themselves why it was right in retrospect, and it’s  pretty clear that she only really heard one set of respondents  

People who cannot conceive of a world without them are, I think, more likely to be anti-abortion. Because the lives we have now are destiny, or something like that.

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I heard the Missouri polítician who drove their bill explain it. At least some of the children of rapists (the ones she spoke to) feel their life is worth living. Remember that women who gave birth sometimes need to justify to themselves why it was right in retrospect, and it’s  pretty clear that she only really heard one set of respondents  

People who cannot conceive of a world without them are, I think, more likely to be anti-abortion. Because the lives we have now are destiny, or something like that.

Wendy P. 

Hi Wendy,

How about we make it a little personal?

Do you think the world is better off because you are here?

I have often felt that the world is not really better because I'm here.

Jerry Baumchen