dropzonematt

Tandem jumps

Question

How many required tandem jumps did you have to go through? My local dropzone told me I am required to complete at least 3... Do you think it would be possibly to talk them into only requiring me to do 2 so I can proceed to get my A-License slightly quicker and save 200 bucks? I've only done 1 so far!

2 answers to this question

8 hours ago, dropzonematt said:

How many required tandem jumps did you have to go through? My local dropzone told me I am required to complete at least 3... Do you think it would be possibly to talk them into only requiring me to do 2 so I can proceed to get my A-License slightly quicker and save 200 bucks? I've only done 1 so far!

Different DZs have different training programs. You seem to be from a part of the world with many options. It is unlikely that the DZ you are at will modify it's program for you. 

To the OP: stop questioning local procedures and just go with the local program. You do not know hat you do not know. That first jump is a huge sensory over-load that you will only understand after you have been through it.

I have worked as a pilot, rigger, TI, S/L jump-master, IAD instructor, accompanied freefall instructor, etc. at a variety of DZs running a variety of student progression programs.

I am glad that most DZs now insist on a tandem first. Tandem speeds up ground school while reducing uncertainty and the numbers of students wandering off to land in the forest. Even if it only means that I have to extract a single student from a tree, that is enough.

Tandem gets the student past that HUGE sensory overload.

Tandems number 2 and number 3 teach the basics of altitude awareness, stable body position and opening the main parachute at a reasonable altitude.

After 3 tandems, the training value of tandems diminishes dramatically.

The ideal training program starts with a tandem or three followed by a few minutes in a wind tunnel, then 3 to 5 S/L or IAD jumps. Once the student has demonstrated that he/she can steer a parachute to a safe landing, we take them up with freefall instructors to teach the basics of accompanied freefall. After they achieve SOLO status, students need another dozen-ish jumps with coaches to complete their packing, spotting, etc. skills needed for an A License. an steer him/herself to a safe landing field, then we start teaching freefall skills. 

Do not try to rush the learning process. too much rushing will create errors and require you to repeat a level.