1 1
JoeWeber

Putin blinks

24 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

From your quoted story "It will deliver $550 billion of new federal investments in America’s infrastructure over five years," that would be $110 billion per year in new spending.

"the cost of the nation’s gun violence epidemic. Our federal, state, and local governments are spending a combined average of $34.8 million each day to deal with the aftermath of gun violence across the country. The total annual bill for taxpayers, survivors, families, employers, and communities is $280 billion."

So the increase in spending is 39% of the annual cost of gun violence.

"At Beijing’s behest, local governments have drawn up lists of thousands of “major projects,” which they’re being put under intense pressure to see through. Planned investment this year amounts to at least 14.8 trillion yuan ($2.3 trillion), according to a Bloomberg analysis. That’s more than double the new spending in the infrastructure package the U.S. Congress approved last year, which totals $1.1 trillion spread over five years."

So China is outspending the US by a factor of 10. But at least the US will have hardened schools and Ar-15s.

(edited)
9 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

From your quoted story "It will deliver $550 billion of new federal investments in America’s infrastructure over five years," that would be $110 billion per year in new spending.

"the cost of the nation’s gun violence epidemic. Our federal, state, and local governments are spending a combined average of $34.8 million each day to deal with the aftermath of gun violence across the country. The total annual bill for taxpayers, survivors, families, employers, and communities is $280 billion."

So the increase in spending is 39% of the annual cost of gun violence.

"At Beijing’s behest, local governments have drawn up lists of thousands of “major projects,” which they’re being put under intense pressure to see through. Planned investment this year amounts to at least 14.8 trillion yuan ($2.3 trillion), according to a Bloomberg analysis. That’s more than double the new spending in the infrastructure package the U.S. Congress approved last year, which totals $1.1 trillion spread over five years."

So China is outspending the US by a factor of 10. But at least the US will have hardened schools and Ar-15s.

I'll bet that $34.8 million a day to deal with the aftermath is a pittance compared to how much we waste arming and preparing good guys who seem unable to prevent school massacres or even stop one that's underway. As a nation we spend $300 Million a day on our Police.  China spends only twice that on their entire defense budget. 40% of the Ulvade City budget goes to their cops. The average Texas homeowner, in a state with the 7th highest property taxes in America, pays $3400 per year. Think about having paid that for 20 or 30 years after you've been pepper sprayed, put to the ground, and handcuffed by those cops for trying to go unarmed into the school to stop a maniac from killing your kids while those same cops, armed to the teeth and with kevlar protective gear were too afraid to help.

We need police. We need to pay them right, treat them right and give them the respect the job deserves; it is hard, dangerous work done right and they need to know that we know that truth.  What's wrong is that we sell the job as a paramilitary assignment and, consequently, too many heroes in their own minds, like the Ulvade cops, join up. Too many are like gang bikers: they love to push around the weak and avoid the strong. If we need to pay up to get the right people then let's pay up. But it should be obvious to all now that just throwing military gear at applicants to get them to join is a failed plan. 

A Police Captain friend, smart guy and exactly the kind of guy you want, once told me that when you go out on a serious call you never know what arms you'll be up against which is why they need to be prepared with serious weapons. Okay, that makes sense. But where do we stop before we start saying easier access to guns and more guns for everyone is the real problem?

We are devolving here in America. The Second Amendment as amended by Scalia will be tossed into histories trash can some day. The sooner the better, I say.

Edited by JoeWeber
Thread drift but blame Phil
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I'll bet that $34.8 million a day to deal with the aftermath is a pittance ....

We are devolving here in America. The Second Amendment as amended by Scalia will be tossed into histories trash can some day. The sooner the better, I say.

"The U.S. will transfer long-range rocket systems to Ukraine to aid the country’s fight against Russia in the Donbas region, officials told multiple outlets. 

Ukrainian officials have been asking the U.S. to send the Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS) or the High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS), CNN first reported, citing U.S. officials.

The weapons would be a significant improvement from Ukraine’s current artillery — an MLRS is able to fire hundreds of kilometers away and HIMARS is able to fire the same type of ammunition as an MLRS."  Good thing because Putin is now allowing anyone with a pulse to sign contracts and fight for the Motherland...Er the yachts of the oligarchs.

Then there are the damn Russian realtors getting into the fight! Certainly not like the realtors in the US.  "Natalia Abiyeva is a real-estate agent specializing in rental apartments in the city of Nizhny Novgorod, east of Moscow. But lately, she has been learning a lot about battlefield medicine....Since the start of the war, she said, she has raised more than $60,000 to buy food, clothes and equipment for Russian soldiers serving in Ukraine." Damn realtors.

Now back to the thread drift. IMO the reason for the delay in getting the gunman. Is the hierarchical nature of police forces. The chief of the Uvalde Consolidated School District Police Department, Pete Arradondo.The guy who held action back for 40 minutes. Was overruled/had is orders ignored and other officer took direct action. Why his resignation hasn't been demanded by now, who knows.

Its like Russian troops when their generals get killed. Or danger is near. They start running around in circles. But instead of heading for the donut shop like Uvalde cops. They disable their tanks, drop their guns and head for the Russian border.

4 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

"The U.S. will transfer long-range rocket systems to Ukraine to aid the country’s fight against Russia in the Donbas region, officials told multiple outlets. 

Ukrainian officials have been asking the U.S. to send the Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS) or the High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS), CNN first reported, citing U.S. officials.

The weapons would be a significant improvement from Ukraine’s current artillery — an MLRS is able to fire hundreds of kilometers away and HIMARS is able to fire the same type of ammunition as an MLRS."  Good thing because Putin is now allowing anyone with a pulse to sign contracts and fight for the Motherland...Er the yachts of the oligarchs.

Then there are the damn Russian realtors getting into the fight! Certainly not like the realtors in the US.  "Natalia Abiyeva is a real-estate agent specializing in rental apartments in the city of Nizhny Novgorod, east of Moscow. But lately, she has been learning a lot about battlefield medicine....Since the start of the war, she said, she has raised more than $60,000 to buy food, clothes and equipment for Russian soldiers serving in Ukraine." Damn realtors.

Now back to the thread drift. IMO the reason for the delay in getting the gunman. Is the hierarchical nature of police forces. The chief of the Uvalde Consolidated School District Police Department, Pete Arradondo.The guy who held action back for 40 minutes. Was overruled/had is orders ignored and other officer took direct action. Why his resignation hasn't been demanded by now, who knows.

Its like Russian troops when their generals get killed. Or danger is near. They start running around in circles. But instead of heading for the donut shop like Uvalde cops. They disable their tanks, drop their guns and head for the Russian border.

I think some our earlier MLS systems are maintenance dramas, as in sometimes not able to move before the counter battery fire arrives. I'm probably wrong. Hopefully that's sorted out.

42 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I think some our earlier MLS systems are maintenance dramas, as in sometimes not able to move before the counter battery fire arrives. I'm probably wrong. Hopefully that's sorted out.

There are a couple good videos out from news services on Ukrainian artillery batteries in operation. Russian counter battery radars were somewhat non existent. One company using m777 were hitting targets spotted by drones within 1-2 shots. They must have been in a quiet area because they were only firing 10 rounds a day.

Another were using two  2S1 Gvozdika systems hidden in a pine forest. They were equally as good. They had been in the same location for a couple weeks. Drive out 3-4 shots over about five minutes. Then back into concealment from drones. They were equally as good shots. Two- three rounds and scratch one tank. Targets sighted and rounds spotted by drones. No Russian A/C, no counter battery fire at all. But incoming in the general area. The commanders had lots of experience. Fighting Russians and separatists continuously since 2014. Other than no open fires, pretty soft for a war.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

There are a couple good videos out from news services on Ukrainian artillery batteries in operation. Russian counter battery radars were somewhat non existent. One company using m777 were hitting targets spotted by drones within 1-2 shots. They must have been in a quiet area because they were only firing 10 rounds a day.

Another were using two  2S1 Gvozdika systems hidden in a pine forest. They were equally as good. They had been in the same location for a couple weeks. Drive out 3-4 shots over about five minutes. Then back into concealment from drones. They were equally as good shots. Two- three rounds and scratch one tank. Targets sighted and rounds spotted by drones. No Russian A/C, no counter battery fire at all. But incoming in the general area. The commanders had lots of experience. Fighting Russians and separatists continuously since 2014. Other than no open fires, pretty soft for a war.

For sure those M777's are an advantage, not that I'd have one myself. So, hey, I have a present for you. UPS sucks here. Do you have a GPS address?

Edited by JoeWeber

7 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

For sure those M777's are an advantage, not that I'd have one myself. So, hey, I have a present for you. UPS sucks here. Do you have a GPS address?

Countries are sending Excalibur GPS shells. But the shooting I referenced was old fashioned shooting. I have ballistic software on a PDA for shooting out to 26-2800 yards. For target shooting with a .300 WM.It calculates the geographic location, Coriolis Effect,wind, etc. One artilleryman had a phone and one used a laptop. The Canadian m777 systems have  LINAPS Artillery Pointing System  which were supplied to Ukraine. The US has a different system. But not all of the US systems sent has computer aided calculators.

Two months ago there were video's of Ukrainian artillery shooting at Russians in a shelterbelt between two wheat fields. There must have been twenty firing because at that time Ukraine didn't use MRSI. The dispersion of impacts was up to 200 meters from the shelterbelt. In the last month Ukrainians were walking artillery up and down the sherterbelts(20 yards wide). With rounds striking no more than 20 yards outside it. With most right in the 20 yard wide target.