3 3
billbooth

Bill Booth

Hi there. Bill Booth here. I'm finally getting around to writing an autobiography, and could use some help. If any of my former employees, customers, or friends have any stories or photographs they would like to share from the period 1970 -1985, I would love to hear or see them. This was a very important period in the development of our sport, and I want to get the facts right. Thanks. My email is: [email protected]

• Like 5

Bill,

I was literally in diapers, a newborn actually, in 1970. This photo is from the wrong timeframe - it's 2014 during one of Tom's examiner courses. But feel free to use if it's helpful at all. And thanks again for all you've done for our sport. I'm truly grateful for my time in Deland learning from the masters. Can't wait for the book. 

Louis 

IMG_0860.JPG

• Like 2

I haven't figured it out completely. There actually needs to be two books...one for my family, and one for jumpers. Right now I'm just writing down everything I can remember, mostly in order. I'm up to the invention of the hand deployed pilot chute. Trouble is, a lot of this stuff happened over 50 years. There were also no cell phones, so I don't have nearly enough photos to back up the stories. So I do hope other people can add some memories, insight, and photos.

• Like 3

I like the story that Moe Viletto told about building ~ 70 counterfeit wonderhogs and having you inspect his personal rig with a white harness at a Nationals.

So the story goes, you said when seeing the white harness, "those assholes in Production, always building custom sh1t for their friends, no wonder we can't deliver fast enough".

True?

PS, love your stories told on Skydive Radio about trips to the Poles.

Be well.

Craig

• Like 2

(edited)

That reminds me about trying to sell a Vector II for a friend, maybe 20 years back, that had had a few owners over the years. When I checked the size code listed on the rig, it just didn't exist in the manual. And when I checked the serial number, it said "BOBBY".  Hmm.   I got the impression it was a rig that some trusted production line guy was allowed to assemble for himself.

Edited by pchapman
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, pchapman said:

That reminds me about trying to sell a Vector II for a friend, maybe 20 years back, that had had a few owners over the years. When I checked the size code listed on the rig, it just didn't exist in the manual. And when I checked the serial number, it said "BOBBY".  Hmm.   I got the impression it was a rig that some trusted production line guy was allowed to assemble for himself.

Hi Peter,

Back in the 70's, RWS could not keep up with the production demands.  So, they entered into an agreement with Guardian Parachute ( subsidiary of FXC Corp ) to build rigs for them.  Three employees of Guardian stayed late at nite & built bogus rigs; these rigs were never entered into the production documents.  They then sold the rigs out of their cars at various dz's in SoCal.  When Guardian found out, all three were fired immediately.

This was told to me back in 1978 by Chuck Embury, one of the three.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 5

On 5/9/2022 at 5:13 PM, billbooth said:

Hi there. Bill Booth here. I'm finally getting around to writing an autobiography, and could use some help. If any of my former employees, customers, or friends have any stories or photographs they would like to share from the period 1970 -1985, I would love to hear or see them. This was a very important period in the development of our sport, and I want to get the facts right. Thanks. My email is: [email protected]

I'm with you buddy. I've had a hell of a life I also can't recall. I do have a Bill Booth story but you weren't there so it doesn't count.

• Like 1