2 2
fabian91

Hard openings on different canopys

Hey there,

in 2020 I jumped jfx 109. I got consistent soft openings until I replaced my PC with a new one (original PC and Bridle from Paratec, some buddys from my DZ are jumping exactly the same). Since the replacement I got some really hard openings. I tried different packing techniques and my openings became better but not like before.

I buyed a Velo 96 and my openings were perfectly soft. Not a single hard opening, endless snivel (ok, sometimes things got a little wild) but always soft. Unfortunatly the lines had no much life left, so I replaced the lineset (500 Vectran). With the new lineset I got painful openings on hop&pop jumps. I tried one at terminal and got to the hospital. Checked the lines, checked everything, nobody found something wrong with the canopy or the lineset.

Ok fuck it, new canopy. Got a comp velo 90 (500 Vectran). Tried it last weekend at hop&pop-jumps: Perfect openings - nice. Tried one at terminal: BOOM. Ok, repack - as soft as possible - BOOM. Can't turn my head without pain now.

I spent hours to think about it. Can the pilot chute cause these slamming openings? Maybe line dumps (the new lines on the 96er got easier out of the stow-rubbers as the old ones?), but I always double-stow.

Some ideas? My neck has no much space left for experiments..

Thank you in advance

• Like 1

What kind of deployment bag? Could be a number of issues... With "way too large" of a pilot chute you can get a nice hard kick at line stretch but the parachute should open reasonably well after the initial kick, unless the pc is causing slider rebound. Another thing here if you are consistently head low upon deployment, it leads to more of a whip on opening combined with you having to rotate further and potentially unloading the lines for a split second which can (not likely) but can cause hard openings. Try rotating up so you have less rotation before sitting up in the harness. We need more info...

Hi Alex,

it's a normal DeploymentBag. It has 4 closing-grommets and all of my lines are double-stowed with rubber bands.

No, I do not open head low. At hop&pop-jumps I rather open a bit head-up.

Look at my video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Rhbv-iARE

First 2 Jumps: terminal opening with my old lineset

Next 2 Jumps: Hop&Pop-Jumps with new lineset

Last jump: terminal opening with new lineset

But lineset is fine and with the new velo I am experiencing the same hard openings.

How much are you loading the canopies? I had one high performance canopy who would often slam me if I went light. And super soft with an additional 4kg weight belt. 

not saying it is what happens to you, but could be some food for thought. 

My 2 cents...

There is no snivel anymore. Your PC is probably the cause.

I would compare both PC sizes, apex retracting lines lengths and fabric porosity. Maybe there are differences, this parameters creates too much drag compare to the old one.

I understand that some have exactly the same configuration, but openings are about physics and Art ;) 

I would also ask the manufacturers (PC and parachutes) for advices and use only manufacturers parts.

Good luck and be safe.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 6:15 AM, fabian91 said:

They're been loaded from 2.4 to 2.6 so I don't would call it "Light weighted" :-D

That’s probably within the loading range of the canopies. So probably not a WL problem. 

how tight is the canopy in the Dbag ? If it is loose it could let the slider get off the slider stops. (Just throwing ideas)

On 5/16/2022 at 2:48 PM, DougH said:

Why do you need the large PC in the first place? Now that you found the variable, eliminate it!

It's not that large. It' the standard size of the manufacturer. I guess 26". But way larger than the PCs of other manufacturers. I replaced the old one because it was worn out.