jumplongisland

Cloud regs in different countries

None here in Japan. You'll get holds for many other reasons, though.

[remainder of comment deleted in case lawyers really do read DZ.com]

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

jumplongisland

Just curious, are there any countries that do not have any regulations pertaining to clouds and jumpers? Or at least minimal regulation? Where can i go where cloud holds don't exist?

Western Australia clouds aren't normally an issue;)

Australia has cloud regulations. If the dropzone has a cloud manual and meets a specific set of criteria (distance from water etc) then you can jump through cloud. Extra safety layers come into effect, such as radio contact etc and the cloud must be above break off height.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

the best place for cloud jumping is in Australia in the summer months (octoberish-marchish). It has to be at a fun jumper DZ a bit inland, most DZs near the beach only do tandems and don't get frequent cloud cover anyways.

The only time there will be a cloud hold is if there is a sheet of cloud at 3000'-5000' as that creates a danger no matter what precautions you take since that is the height everyone on the load opens at. Otherwise there are special rules in place the DZ follows that allows them to run loads through clouds. In fact it would be impossible to run a business if you couldn't jump through clouds since there's always big puffies to fall through : )

jumplongisland

Just curious, are there any countries that do not have any regulations pertaining to clouds and jumpers? Or at least minimal regulation? Where can i go where cloud holds don't exist?

Why would you want to?

You've obviously never been under canopy in thick clouds, knowing there are a dozen other people flying about you who you can't see until the last second.

If you're lucky, they're heads up and will be in deep brakes and trying to hold to a small patch of sky. If you're unlucky there'll be a dickhead who thinks going full bore spirals is the best solution... At that point you're relying on big-sky theory to save your arse.

Flying in clouds is not only scary, it's also dumb. In a big way.

Yep Australia has cloud regs. I've lost lots of days in the past month I would have liked to be able to jump, thanks to clouds in the wrong place. Bit frustrating. Not that I'd want to be jumping in them anyway, I like a nice clear blue sky with awesome visibility. Hard to avoid what you can't see up there.

I assumed it was because it's always cloudy where he lives, not because he wants to jump through them. Kind of like how the intersection of jumpable nice days and days the DZ are open can get somewhat dicey 'round these parts in the winter and early spring. Then Mother Nature starts mocking you with gorgeous 70 degree Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Because she's a bitch! *throws a fish at Mother Nature*
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

Now I'm curious to know if Skydive Arizona has ever had a cloud hold heh heh. Some places with the cloud regulations just never actually get clouds.

Sure. The one and only time I've ridden a plane back down (without planning to) was when clouds rolled in for about an hour at SDAZ. It's not often, but they do get clouds and (horrors!) rain from time to time. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

FlyingRhenquest

Now I'm curious to know if Skydive Arizona has ever had a cloud hold heh heh. Some places with the cloud regulations just never actually get clouds.

first time I was there when they called the weather hold, I ran in the hangar to smear myself with sunblock [:/]
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

yoink

I don't think anyone thinks it's a good idea to fly canopy in the cloud. He means free falling in cloud, which is awesome and not dumb.

Def if the cloud base is 5000' or less it's not a good idea to jump.

chemist

I don't think anyone thinks it's a good idea to fly canopy in the cloud. He means free falling in cloud, which is awesome and not dumb.

What country are you in?

Flying in a cloud is not that awesome or smart, especially in large groups and dense clouds where you can't see other people. Luckily for skydivers usually we can tell which way is up and keep the canopy straight and level unlike many pilots. Imagine a group of 10 people blow into a cloud and loose track of each other. Hoping that nobody deploys, you can still hit aircraft, each other or depending on the thickness of the clouds/location some adverse weather (hail/rain) or even them going so low that you don't have time to activate your canopy and land safely with clear vision of your surrounding airspace.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

JohnMitchell

Flying a canopy in clouds can be hairy, yes, but freefalling thru them can be done safely.

My understanding from the initial post (which may well be wrong) was that the OP was looking for a way to jump in conditions which would otherwise cause a weather hold.

To my mind, that's fairly solid overcast with no visibility from exit to the LZ, or many thousands of feet of dense nimbostratus or cumulus. I still think that in either of those conditions it's best to stay on the ground. Weather holds are a part of skydiving...

The smaller, dispersed and puffy cumulus cloud days? Sure! No problem. Jump through them all you want (although not if they're at breakoff / deployment altitude).

We've all been frustrated at weather holds, but they exist for a reason. The smart solution is to either take a trip where they're rarely an issue (Eloy, Perris etc) or to wait it out. Not to find somewhere that lets you jump in those conditions...

Besides, jumping through rain HURTS! Those raindrops have pointy ends you know? :ph34r:

yoink

The smaller, dispersed and puffy cumulus cloud days? Sure! No problem. Jump through them all you want (although not if they're at breakoff / deployment altitude).

That's where you are very wrong. Reread cloud clearance requirements. 500' below (no, your jump plane can not legally skim the bases as they let you out) and 2000' laterally. That's about 4/10th's of a statute mile. You are not allowed to "just miss them" or especially JUMP through them legally. The FAA has some very stiff ($K) fines for people doing that.

I know what happens in the real world, yes, but don't be saying it's fine to do. It can lead to the other kinds of fines.

Plus I've seen operations under FAA scrutiny have to halt operations on some of the nicest days, because of a thin scattered layer at 6000', one that could be safely, but not LEGALLY, jumped thru. I think that's a big problem and a real waste of regulation.

And you're right about those pointy raindrops. They really DO hurt... :S:D