1 1
JoeWeber

Alito strikes

9 hours ago, GeorgiaDon said:

When female skydivers are arrested and charged with child endangerment for skydiving while pregnant, will that be enough to get male skydivers concerned about the issue?  Once a fetus is legally recognized as a person, all sorts of activities with even a small element of risk will potentially become felonies.  Women will be held hostage by their biological status as incubators.

We had a DZO once who would not let a pregnant woman make her own decision about when to stop jumping. 

19 hours ago, tkhayes said:

the religious right's numbers are decreasing every year, and they see it.  They are like a wild animal backed into a corner..... it is hard to guess what bullshit they will try to pull as they desperately try to hang onto power..... Contraception is next.  The leak of the draft states that there is no liberty nor privacy in the constitution and is using that as the basis for overturning Roe v Wade.   sadly they still have a lot of power but until the nones, the atheists and agnostics stand up and speak out against the religious running the country, well, the religious will continue to run the country.  We still have dozens and dozens of congress, Senators, and governors that believe the world is 6000 years old.  That alone is a problem.

#ShariaLaw

14 hours ago, GeorgiaDon said:

When female skydivers are arrested and charged with child endangerment for skydiving while pregnant, will that be enough to get male skydivers concerned about the issue?  Once a fetus is legally recognized as a person, all sorts of activities with even a small element of risk will potentially become felonies.  Women will be held hostage by their biological status as incubators.

Hi Don,

Re:  Once a fetus is legally recognized as a person

Some states have laws that if you kill a pregnant person, you are guilty of two murders.  I have always disagreed with this.  IMO it is the slippery slope to the quote.

Jerry Baumchen

(edited)

I have the distinct misfortune of having the FOX News station on the TV screens closest to my desk (CNN is across the room).  I'm watching all the criticism of the demonstrators at Alito's house (and other justices' homes), and the DOJ for not addressing these demonstrations.  I do most certainly object to demonstrations crossing the line of civility -- from blocking the street to threatening or encouraging violence.  My opinion is that the excessive behavior takes away from the legitimacy of the message (I encourage the demonstrations in a peaceful, respectful manner).  However, where was the outcry from the FOX crowd for the past several decades as "demonstrators" harassed people as they sought healthcare (abortion providers), all the way to threatening, encouraging and perpetrating violence against the lawful conduct of healthcare?

Yes, I know the answer -- this is just me shining a spotlight on the hypocrisy.   [/rant]

Edited by TriGirl
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, TriGirl said:

I have the distinct misfortune of having the FOX News station on the TV screens closest to my desk (CNN is across the room).  I'm watching all the criticism of the demonstrators at Alito's house (and other justices' homes), and the DOJ for not addressing these demonstrations.  I do most certainly object to demonstrations crossing the line of civility -- from blocking the street to threatening or encouraging violence.  My opinion is that the excessive behavior takes away from the legitimacy of the message (I encourage the demonstrations in a peaceful, respectful manner).  However, where was the outcry from the FOX crowd for the past several decades as "demonstrators" harassed people as they sought healthcare (abortion providers), all the way to threatening, encouraging and perpetrating violence against the lawful conduct of healthcare?

Yes, I know the answer -- this is just me shining a spotlight on the hypocrisy.   [/rant]

Hi Girl,

Re:   I do most certainly object to demonstrations crossing the line of civility -- from blocking the street to threatening or encouraging violence.

Today, I'm with you.  Tomorrow, who knows.  You have to break eggs to make an omelet.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ryoder said:

The right wing doesn't have any problem with the concept of Sharia Law; They are just jealous that it is based on the Quran instead of the Bible.

Looking at their practice I absolutely agree with you.  But when they're called on it they cry "religious persecution!" I like to say it out loud as often as possible. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 4:37 PM, billvon said:

They are furious with whoever leaked it, and are demanding investigations, punishments and concessions from the left.  One GOPer said it was "an attempt to intimidate the justices" and "an assault on the Supreme Court." 

Seems reasonable to me that the first actor to call for an inquiry into the leak could well have been someone who really needed to take a leak: Roberts. Now that everyones panties are sufficient wadded over the draft he can change his vote to the majority and reassign the case for opinion to one of Trumps 3 Stooges knowing that they'd be on the historical hot seat and knowing that a more extreme opinion is unlikely.