1 1
JoeWeber

Alito strikes

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

No, I do not.  What we really need is some GOP senator's granddaughter to get knocked up by her long-gone boyfriend.  Preferably, by a boyfriend of a different race.

What will that accomplish?  He will have her flown to a state or country where abortion is legal, have it done there and then ensure that no one ever finds out.  If someone by chance does find out, he will explain that she was a special case.  She's not one of those women who enjoys abortions and uses them like birth control; she's just an innocent who made a mistake, and no one should hold that against her.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

While I might not be around, it will be interesting to see what those anti-Roe folks think when their tax dollars go towards supporting those unwanted children.

They will say "why should my tax dollars go towards irresponsible women and their rug rats?  If they wanted kids let them support them.  Their problem, not mine."

5 hours ago, kallend said:

And these are the people who otherwise want less government intrusion in our lives.

Yes, they want 'smaller government'.

They ALSO claim that Jesus is their Lord and Savior, that by "accepting Jesus" they are "Saved".

And then they proceed to basically shit all over every single one of the teachings of Christ.

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Doesn't every conservative SC justice nominee get quizzed on Roe v Wade? Didn't they all answer that its the recognized precedent of the land? That they all respect such president that's quoted in so many decisions? That they would not be out to overturn it?

Isn't that testimony given under oath?

Isn't lying under oath perjury?

Isn't that a crime?

• Like 1

Hi folks,

At the beginning of every year, I sit down & write out checks to those organizations that I believe in.  Two of them are:

NARAL Pro-Choice America

1156 15th St., NW

Washington, DC  20005

Pro-Choice Oregon

P. O. Box 40472

Portland, OR  97240

I would hope that anyone who disagrees with Alito & his elk, would do the same.  Just find out what organization within your state for the local donation.

It will not turn back the tide, but it will help.

Jerry Baumchen

Well, we get VERY regular solicitations from Planned Parenthood; once you start giving, they think you’ll forget when you’re due to give again, and hope you’ll do it every time they send you something  

Wendy P. 

What I find interesting is how badly the right screwed up with this one.  They were clearly eager to cancel Roe v Wade, and Alito couldn't wait to get the decision written.  It is also very likely that the decision was distributed to close republican supporters to garner support - but that they didn't want it revealed until right after the midterm election, so the anger of the voters over the decision would not have any effect.

Now they are in a bind.  This is evident from their rhetoric.  They are furious with whoever leaked it, and are demanding investigations, punishments and concessions from the left.  One GOPer said it was "an attempt to intimidate the justices" and "an assault on the Supreme Court."  They must "use every investigative tool necessary" to find the leaker.  They claim the left is using "scorched-earth tactics" - "this is just so outrageous."  Democrats "are going to burn [the Supreme Court] down."

What is completely missing, of course, is a single republican saying "well, shouldn't we find out if the leak is real?"  They all know it's real because it had already been leaked to them, and they were planning their election strategies around that.  So the image of them demanding to hold someone accountable for the leak - a leak they eagerly consumed - is pretty funny.

So what to do now?  They will follow their usual strategy of "fuck you" to the democrats, and will blame them for everything they can think of.  But this time all the furor and hate Marjorie Taylor Greene will not be able to mask the underlying truth that the conservatives on the Supreme Court are about to take away a right that most women in the US want very much to protect.  And the right has no defense against that truth.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, billvon said:

They will say "why should my tax dollars go towards irresponsible women and their rug rats?  If they wanted kids let them support them.  Their problem, not mine."

That's exactly the case. What a sad, sorry, state of affairs we are in.

I guess as I'm not a fertile female I shouldn't care. It's not my woke problem, bad laws that harm innocents are common to the point of banality as anyone aware will tell you, and I wasn't planning on travel to a Florida abortion clinic anytime soon so my travel plans are intact. The only real problem is they don't use Tesla batteries to perform abortions or we could gloat over that, too.

9 minutes ago, billvon said:

What I find interesting is how badly the right screwed up with this one.  They were clearly eager to cancel Roe v Wade, and Alito couldn't wait to get the decision written.  It is also very likely that the decision was distributed to close republican supporters to garner support - but that they didn't want it revealed until right after the midterm election, so the anger of the voters over the decision would not have any effect.

Now they are in a bind.  This is evident from their rhetoric.  They are furious with whoever leaked it, and are demanding investigations, punishments and concessions from the left.  One GOPer said it was "an attempt to intimidate the justices" and "an assault on the Supreme Court."  They must "use every investigative tool necessary" to find the leaker.  They claim the left is using "scorched-earth tactics" - "this is just so outrageous."  Democrats "are going to burn [the Supreme Court] down."

What is completely missing, of course, is a single republican saying "well, shouldn't we find out if the leak is real?"  They all know it's real because it had already been leaked to them, and they were planning their election strategies around that.  So the image of them demanding to hold someone accountable for the leak - a leak they eagerly consumed - is pretty funny.

So what to do now?  They will follow their usual strategy of "fuck you" to the democrats, and will blame them for everything they can think of.  But this time all the furor and hate Marjorie Taylor Greene will not be able to mask the underlying truth that the conservatives on the Supreme Court are about to take away a right that most women in the US want very much to protect.  And the right has no defense against that truth.

So it's Roberts who wants to do every thing possible to find the leaker. He's shocked, shocked to find out there is a leaker in the house. 

I heard an analysis on NPR of who the leaker might be. They said probably not a liberal justice, because if it were political it would have been closer to the election; there’s enough time to wane now. Probably not Alito or Thomas, they love bomb-throwing. Their thought was that Roberts respects the institution too much, but hat one of the less rigidly partisan of the new ones might just have because it went too far.

But the thought of all those Republicans getting advance notice had t occurred to me, and maybe not to the analyst. I’d put money on one of them having spread it just to their closes confidants.

Wendy P. 

Just now, wmw999 said:

I’d put money on one of them having spread it just to their closes confidants.

Yep.  "Hey Marjorie - this is TOP SECRET so don't show anyone else!  No one!  But I knew you'd want to see it.  Now be sure to shred it when you are done!  Don't leave it sitting around like you did with those Jan 6th plans."

26 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I heard an analysis on NPR of who the leaker might be. They said probably not a liberal justice, because if it were political it would have been closer to the election; there’s enough time to wane now. Probably not Alito or Thomas, they love bomb-throwing. Their thought was that Roberts respects the institution too much, but hat one of the less rigidly partisan of the new ones might just have because it went too far.

But the thought of all those Republicans getting advance notice had t occurred to me, and maybe not to the analyst. I’d put money on one of them having spread it just to their closes confidants.

Wendy P. 

Timing could suggest it was done to shore up support from the justices themselves to secure a majority. It also ensures that the outrage has likely passed by mid-terms.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Well, we get VERY regular solicitations from Planned Parenthood; once you start giving, they think you’ll forget when you’re due to give again, and hope you’ll do it every time they send you something  

Wendy P. 

Hi Wendy,

Yup.  But, do not throw out the baby with the bath water.

Jerry Baumchen

51 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

So it's Roberts who wants to do every thing possible to find the leaker. He's shocked, shocked to find out there is a leaker in the house. 

Hi Joe,

Just another GOP 'Hey, look over here.'

You will notice he only is going after the messenger.

Jerry Baumchen

10 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Wendy,

Yup.  But, do not throw out the baby with the bath water.

Jerry Baumchen

For now, let's do. Every effort must be towards financing the messaging effort. However, if the Democrats don't come out of the box with knives and serious commitment then we're done. Spend your donations on wine instead.

Susan Collins has apparently said that this ruling, if accurate, is completely inconsistent with what the prospective justices said both in their confirmation hearings, and in meetings in her chambers.

Well, doggone it, who'd'a thunk they'd lie about it?

We live in interesting times. I kind of see the current war in Ukraine (few holds barred, brutality encouraged to put terror into their hearts so they'll be compliant underlings) as an illustration for how some people would like it to be -- knowing exactly who's in charge (them), and who's under (identifiably others), and that there is extra privilege attached to it.

Wendy P.

12 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Timing could suggest it was done to shore up support from the justices themselves to secure a majority. It also ensures that the outrage has likely passed by mid-terms.

The actual decision will be out later in the year.

Much closer to the mid-terms.

If this is what the actual decision will be, the outrage will be increased.

"Let me be clear, no matter what atrocious opinion the Supreme Court rolls out this summer in regards to Roe v. Wade, abortion is safe and legal in Illinois."

"For a party that says they're all about individual freedom, [Republicans] are hellbent on taking away freedoms from so many women, And remember, if they come after Roe, they'll come after everything."

"Gay marriage is next. Then other protections for minority and marginalized communities."

J.B. Pritzker, Governor of Illinois.

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Susan Collins has apparently said that this ruling, if accurate, is completely inconsistent with what the prospective justices said both in their confirmation hearings, and in meetings in her chambers.

Well, doggone it, who'd'a thunk they'd lie about it?

Susan Collins Shocked That Brett Kavanaugh Would Ever Lie to a Woman

14 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Wendy P. 

Like nearly everyone else they used professional fundraising organizations who get a percentage cut of the money raised. They do what works best for them.

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The actual decision will be out later in the year.

Much closer to the mid-terms.

If this is what the actual decision will be, the outrage will be increased.

I’m surprised by the number of Americans who don’t know the schedule that the Supreme Court uses to release decisions. They begin to come out in early June and will be finished before the end of June. There is a season to these things

• Like 1