1 1
JoeWeber

Alito strikes

33 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Justice Alito has drafted a full throated rebuke of Roe. Cheer on conservatives.

Biden - and all the democratic senators and representatives up for election this cycle - thank Alito from the bottoms of their hearts.  With only 27% of Americans supporting its overturn, democrats will have a potent new meme to use to show what can happen when you let conservatives have their way.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, billvon said:

Biden - and all the democratic senators and representatives up for election this cycle - thank Alito from the bottoms of their hearts.  With only 27% of Americans supporting its overturn, democrats will have a potent new meme to use to show what can happen when you let conservatives have their way.

Let's just hope the Democrats find some spine and learn how to dominate the news cycle and that translates into votes. 

• Like 3

(edited)

Alito has stated recently that it is an issue that needs to be legislated. Okay -- we need to have a massive overhaul of the US Congress so that the proposed legislation to codify the essence of Roe gets voted on and passed.  Federal law would supersede any of these horrible state restrictions, and we could stop having this nonsense discussion.

Edited to add:  and when I say "overhaul," I mean everyone get out and vote for congressional candidates who would support bodily autonomy.

Edited by TriGirl
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, TriGirl said:

Alito has stated recently that it is an issue that needs to be legislated. Okay -- we need to have a massive overhaul of the US Congress so that the proposed legislation to codify the essence of Roe gets voted on and passed.  Federal law would supersede any of these horrible state restrictions, and we could stop having this nonsense discussion.

It should be legislated, but I also agree with with the late RBG that abortion should be protected under equal protection rights under the constitution.

In plain language, the conservatives think the  authority to decide whether to continue a pregnancy must be removed from the victim of rape or incest (even if a minor) who will have to bear the child, and that authority given to an uninvolved majority free to impose its moral choices on her.

And these are the people who otherwise want less government intrusion in our lives.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kallend said:

And these are the people who otherwise want less government intrusion in our lives.

They only want less government when they think that they are on the wrong side of the intersection between government and the general public.

Less government when it inconveniences them, more government when it impacts others; it doesn't matter that they are experiencing minor inconveniences, while they cheer on the government seriously impacting the lives of others. 

The building inspector and quasi government HOA are a bunch of assholes to these people, so is the IRS, and ATF.

But they would celebrate more police, more prisons, and apparently now a vagina swat team.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Justice Alito has drafted a full throated rebuke of Roe. Cheer on conservatives.

Hi Joe,

Re:  a full throated rebuke

That one caught me by surprise.  While it is still not a done deal, I did expect some re-interpretation of Roe.

Maybe more states should do this:  Connecticut looks to expand abortion rights in response to restrictions : NPR

And, with modern medicine, there is still the Morning After pill.

While it is not much, there is hope on the horizon.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  This is why I do not vote for anyone associated with the GOP.

People should not assume this will stop with abortion.  The conservative movement has long been hostile to the notion of privacy, and to the notion of federal power.  Alito and Thomas have both engaged in a "game" of telegraphing their next target when writing dissents, and so they guide conservative activists about where to direct their legal challenges.  The court can only act when a case is brought before them.  We can expect attacks on same sex marriage and other cases related to LGBTQ rights, possibly interracial marriage, and contraception.  Just as concerning in a way, we can expect the court to be quite hostile towards the environment, laws regulating businesses, consumer protections, etc.

I was taught that the Constitution functions to limit the power of the federal government.  It is not a list of the people's rights.  However this court seems to take the opposite view; if a right is not explicitly in the Constitution it doesn't exist.  It's terrifying how many rights and freedoms are potentially on the chopping block with this court.

9 minutes ago, billvon said:

Until that is banned.  You really they will stop with this ruling?

Banned? Of course not, they're reasonable people! They'll just ask for a doctor's referral, internal physical examination to confirm unprotected sex took place and then there's the one week waiting  time to make sure it's really what you want.

2 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

I was taught that the Constitution functions to limit the power of the federal government.  It is not a list of the people's rights.  However this court seems to take the opposite view; if a right is not explicitly in the Constitution it doesn't exist.  It's terrifying how many rights and freedoms are potentially on the chopping block with this court.

And then all the right wing voters will point at the Dems and say "This is all your fault, why didn't you bastards stop us?"

The clock is winding backwards, America 1791 is just around the corner. Where is Ron, because the Faustian bargain his ilk made with trump paid off.

Mitch McConnell has called the heroic act of disclosing this document. An attack on judicial independence."By every indication, this was yet another escalation in the radical left’s ongoing campaign to bully and intimidate federal judges and substitute mob rule for the rule of law," McConnell said.

2 hours ago, billvon said:

Until that is banned.  You really they will stop with this ruling?

Hi Bill,

No, I do not.  What we really need is some GOP senator's granddaughter to get knocked up by her long-gone boyfriend.  Preferably, by a boyfriend of a different race.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

Mob rule?  Like the Jan 6 attack on Congress that "Law and Order Mitch" doesn't even consider to be worth investigating?  Just a bunch of over-enthusiastic tourists I suppose.  But a head's-up regarding a giant step backwards to the 1950s, that's "mob rule"?  What mob?  Anyone report a mob sacking the Supreme Court?  Funny that all the MSM missed that.

32 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

Mob rule?  Like the Jan 6 attack on Congress that "Law and Order Mitch" doesn't even consider to be worth investigating?  Just a bunch of over-enthusiastic tourists I suppose.  But a head's-up regarding a giant step backwards to the 1950s, that's "mob rule"?  What mob?  Anyone report a mob sacking the Supreme Court?  Funny that all the MSM missed that.

Jerry, you better skip this post lest your eyes burn.

Doesn't every conservative SC justice nominee get quizzed on Roe v Wade? Didn't they all answer that its the recognized precedent of the land? That they all respect such president that's quoted in so many decisions? That they would not be out to overturn it?

Now the court has the unprecedented gall to call for an investigation. To determine who breached the "trust" of the court. Of the institution.

Oh well. Conservatives can sure pick the ones that will lie during confirmations. Then repay whats expected of them once unimpeachable.

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Bill,

No, I do not.  What we really need is some GOP senator's granddaughter to get knocked up by her long-gone boyfriend.  Preferably, by a boyfriend of a different race.

Jerry Baumchen

Money buys a foreign abortion, with very tightly shut lips. The real crime in America is not to have enough money to flout whatever law you find inconvenient.

Wendy P.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Jerry, you better skip this post lest your eyes burn.

Doesn't every conservative SC justice nominee get quizzed on Roe v Wade? Didn't they all answer that its the recognized precedent of the land? That they all respect such president that's quoted in so many decisions? That they would not be out to overturn it?

Now the court has the unprecedented gall to call for an investigation. To determine who breached the "trust" of the court. Of the institution.

Oh well. Conservatives can sure pick the ones that will lie during confirmations. Then repay whats expected of them once unimpeachable.

Hi Phil,

As Lyle Cameron once wrote in his SKYDIVER magazine:  'At this point I am simply numb.'

Jerry Baumchen

7 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Money buys a foreign abortion, with very tightly shut lips. The real crime in America is not to have enough money to flout whatever law you find inconvenient.

Wendy P.

In stead of COVID tests women will have to supply a pregnancy test prior to travelling.

4 hours ago, kallend said:

In plain language, the conservatives think the  authority to decide whether to continue a pregnancy must be removed from the victim of rape or incest (even if a minor) who will have to bear the child, and that authority given to an uninvolved majority free to impose its moral choices on her.

Hi John,

While I might not be around, it will be interesting to see what those anti-Roe folks think when their tax dollars go towards supporting those unwanted children.

Jerry Baumchen

46 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

I do not understand why anyone paying attention would be even the least little bit surprised about a ruling overturning this basic right. The three justices chosen by Trump were vetted by the Federalist Society and chosen specifically for their eagerness to do so, and two of the older ones were already known to feel the same way. That adds up to five. The only wild card is how far the Chief Justice will go in his dissent.