0
brenthutch

EV Bus fire

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Imagine being on this bus if it was crowded and had a wheelchair or two onboard and the electric doors didn’t work because the battery that powered them was busy burning you to death.  

Imagine being ignorant enough to think electric vehicles only have one battery...

Only May 2 and we have a candidate for stupidest post of the month...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
19 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Imagine being ignorant enough to think electric vehicles only have one battery...

Only May 2 and we have a candidate for stupidest post of the month...

“In the images, we can see a small explosion occur on the roof of the bus, where the batteries are located, followed by huge flames that spread to the entire body, at breakneck speed.”

It is only May 2nd, and while your post is misinformed it’s not all that stupid.  The month is young, give yourself some time.

Edited by brenthutch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

“In the images, we can see a small explosion occur on the roof of the bus, where the batteries are located, followed by huge flames that spread to the entire body, at breakneck speed.”

Yep, that sentence definitely had enough detail differentiating between the traction and auxiliary batteries, battery cells vs packs, and that sentence also basically stated that there was a single point of failure, and that of course all of this got through the safety regulators because they're all raging lefties.

That's what you read, right?

All because they used "batteries" rather than "battery".

I think at this point I'm just substituting for a therapist :rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/05/01/electric-bus-catches-fire-after-battery-explosion/

Imagine being on this bus if it was crowded and had a wheelchair or two onboard and the electric doors didn’t work because the battery that powered them was busy burning you to death.  

Do normal buses have electrical systems that are somehow immune to flames?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kallend said:

Good job gas and diesel powered buses never catch fire:

Years ago, I was actually on a (diesel) bus that caught fire. I was on the top level. We evacuated to another bus, and from there I took this photo:

IMG_0155_small.JPG.6a62f34f44757d4ee06168f38b1b1fec.JPG

 

Brent really, really wants us to be scared of electric buses and cars.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Years ago, I was actually on a (diesel) bus that caught fire. I was on the top level. We evacuated to another bus, and from there I took this photo:

IMG_0155_small.JPG.6a62f34f44757d4ee06168f38b1b1fec.JPG

 

Brent really, really wants us to be scared of electric buses and cars.

 

He wants to troll you.

 

It's a violation of forum rules but no-one cares.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jakee said:

Do normal buses have electrical systems that are somehow immune to flames?

Yet the French grounded their E Busses and not their diesel fleet.

BTW did you see how quickly the E-bus fire spread?  Five seconds from smoke to conflagration.  Olof’s experience shows how much safer diesel busses are. He had time to get off of the burning bus (second level no less) get on another bus, pull out his phone and take a picture of a fire that was still largely confined to the engine compartment.  Thanks Olof!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

45 dead in gas bus fire:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bulgaria-bus-accident-fire-children-young-people-deaths-survivors/

10 dead in gas bus fire:

https://nypost.com/2022/04/13/10-killed-in-gruesome-tourist-bus-crash-in-egypt/

Gas causes 52 deaths in burning bus:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/18/kazakhstan-bus-fire-kills-people-uzbekistan

Gas bus incinerates all 26 people on board; fire leaves only "charred skeletons":

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/19/tourist-bus-fire-taiwan-deaths

Conclusion here seems clear.  If you want to survive, make sure the bus you are taking doesn't use fossil fuels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Olof’s experience shows how much safer diesel busses are.

:rofl: How many people have died in diesel bus fires? Hundreds.

At least 45 people - including 12 children - have been killed after a bus caught fire on a highway in western Bulgaria

Two children among 35 dead in Chinese tour bus fire

26 dead in tour bus blaze

 

EV buses? Zero.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Yet the French grounded their E Busses and not their diesel fleet.

Vehicles get recalled on a regular basis for safety issues that are identified.

It isn't a flaw of electric vehicles, it is a design feature of vehicle production.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Yet the French grounded their E Busses and not their diesel fleet.

"Navistar Inc. is recalling more than 50,000 trucks and buses because an electric fuel heater in a Cummins' medium-duty diesel engine used in school buses, trucks and emergency vehicles could overheat, causing plastic in the fuel heater to melt and potentially catch fire."

https://www.yahoo.com/video/cummins-melting-fuel-heater-leads-162242817.html#:~:text=Navistar Inc. is recalling more,melt and potentially catch fire.

"Navistar is recalling 15,500 school buses over a fire risk."

https://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/26/15-500-navistar-school-busses-recalled-over-fire-possibility/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAN6ZFAPZBcGKpeElfxMVbc5OWWRYCrIBUTRpjIxR8p9wwNENsZEQUYcRdNx4KyO9OkTwwBfh-nnkenLCgv_ceJpTif60HYcXiRXOD_RISFI14sYVblpwySlbs6kOiM5IqdgyQMtev9h6CBCg9WFEG_7HLND3qbAC8pvU6A51zDFq

"Blue Bird school buses included in three separate recalls involving serious fire hazards, seat collapse, & steering loss defects that may endanger children."

https://www.schmidtandclark.com/blue-bird-school-bus-recall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, billvon said:

45 dead in gas bus fire:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bulgaria-bus-accident-fire-children-young-people-deaths-survivors/

10 dead in gas bus fire:

https://nypost.com/2022/04/13/10-killed-in-gruesome-tourist-bus-crash-in-egypt/

Gas causes 52 deaths in burning bus:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/18/kazakhstan-bus-fire-kills-people-uzbekistan

Gas bus incinerates all 26 people on board; fire leaves only "charred skeletons":

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/19/tourist-bus-fire-taiwan-deaths

Conclusion here seems clear.  If you want to survive, make sure the bus you are taking doesn't use fossil fuels.

Every example you cited involved a crash.  The E-bus exploded all by itself, no crash required.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Every example you cited involved a crash.  The E-bus exploded all by itself, no crash required.  

Yep.  Gas buses crash and catch fire.  Or they catch fire and crash.  Or they just catch on fire.  If you want to survive a bus ride, again the conclusion is clear - avoid fossil fuel buses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
9 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Every example you cited involved a crash.  The E-bus exploded all by itself, no crash required.  

The crashes could have happened after the fire. The articles themselves say so.

(EDIT: of course brent didn't read all the articles - he could barely read titles - in fact most of the articles showed fires BEFORE crashes, or no crashes at all.)

The bus I was in burned all by itself, no crash required.

Edited by olofscience

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, olofscience said:

Years ago, I was actually on a (diesel) bus that caught fire. I was on the top level. We evacuated to another bus, and from there I took this photo:

IMG_0155_small.JPG.6a62f34f44757d4ee06168f38b1b1fec.JPG

 

Brent really, really wants us to be scared of electric buses and cars.

 

Seriously? Was this your first attempt at a selfie?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, olofscience said:

The bus I was in burned all by itself, no crash required.

Thank goodness you were in a diesel.  Had you been in an E-Bus, you would have been a goner, and Speaker’s Corner would not be nearly as entertaining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

Odd that you're so fearful of an EV bus fire, yet you're almost orgasmic over the dumpster fire Trump had going in the White House. 

Are you kidding?  He LOVES bus EV fires.  It gives him something to feel happy about.  His only regret was that no one was killed - because then he could make a better slam out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GeorgiaDon said:

Odd that you're so fearful of an EV bus fire, yet you're almost orgasmic over the dumpster fire Trump had going in the White House. 

I don’t ride buses. I brought this to everyone’s attention as a public service.  
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

I don’t ride buses. I brought this to everyone’s attention as a public service.  

Wow, what would vehicle safety engineers ever do without brent? Have you added "vehicle safety expert" to your CV (which presumably already includes "NOAA press release re-interpreter")? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

In other news, here's a puppy with a bigger contribution to public service than that:

 

Edited by olofscience

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

0