LionsGrip

Wisdom for new jumpers

NWFlyer - That's what I thought. Good to hear there are different jump levels going. I would like to go and check it out even if I couldn't jump that weekend, but good to know that A licenses are welcome.

countzero - One thing I wondered during my tandem is how the canopy still had lift when we started spinning. The instructor told my to pull the right cord all the way and we started something like a flat spin. I know it was to get down faster, but I kept thinking the the canopy would collapse. (sorry if I'm not using the terminology)

Monkycndo - princess-pop? what is that wine coolers?

Sansuit - I come across that BS all the time. I don't let it phase me. By the way I think I'm a natural at this that has a better feel for it then you do:)

Never been a beer drinker. Prefer stuff like Mike's hard lemonade or a cider.

Or a mixed tropical drink with an umbrella garnish.

Come on up to LP. Lots of tradition to experience. Singing, naked rock, jello wrestling, Cunning Linguists, fire tower, poker tournament, topless Tuesday & wobbly Wednesday, and Almost sober loads.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

There are 3 items I would suggest. I still follow these pretty seriously and plan to follow them through-out my skydiving career.

1. Relax and enjoy the process.

2. Take safety seriously and listen to your instructors with diligence.

3. Stay Modest. Modesty accelerates learning and keeps you safe. Even when you are licensed, take this into account.

4. Have fun. Remember, we all skydive because its a lot of fun. If you follow the first three items, it should help give you a clear mind.

Good luck! There is no other feeling like being a student. It's still very nostalgic for me. You will grow as an individual in ways you can't even imagine. The visuals and the feelings you get will stick with you every day. It's a great community and a great sport. Hope to see you in the sky!
Klaasic

Canopy flight and landing is WAY more important than freefall skill.

Death or serious injury in freefall above deployment altitude is rare. Death or serious injury under a perfectly good canopy is all too common.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

The best advice I would give myself 900 jumps ago is that you are never as good as you think you are. I certainly wasn't, but it has taken me a long time to realise that. When you are on top of your game at 300 jumps, you propbably aren't. Be humble and listen to what the experienced guys have to say.

Repetitive practice on the ground makes for good skydives in the air. Make sure your ground performances are smooth, deliberate and complete. Practice the routines until they are effortless.

Spend your quiet time in the airplane breathing calmly and visualizing the skydive over and over again. Visualize it going perfectly. Don't distract yourself with doubts and what-ifs on the plane ride.

When you exit, ARCH, take a deep breath and smile. Then launch into all the tasks of the skydive. With a good exit and arch, everything else tends to fall into place perfectly.

As you continue on in the sport, review and practice your emergency procedures. Even just running thru them in your head a few minutes a day can be a big help. Find an instructor (during a slow time at the DZ) to check that you're doing them correctly.

Everything that everyone above said about the canopy flying is correct. Become a good canopy pilot.

I'm proud to say I've got over 40 years of jumping in and I'm still in one piece with no added metal. I wish you the same great experiences in this sport that I've enjoyed. B|

JohnMitchell

***Take any advice from DZ.com with a giant block of salt

:D:D Yes, after a while your BS detector will let you separate the wheat from the chaff.

John,

After a few months on this forum, I had picked out about 4 or 5 people that I normally paid close attention to. You are one of them.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

dthames

After a few months on this forum, I had picked out about 4 or 5 people that I normally paid close attention to. You are one of them.

Aw, thanks for the kind words. :)
I love this sport.
I love the people in it.
I hate seeing them get hurt.
It keeps me motivated. :)

BobxMarley - "it's a great community and a great sport" I've only being talking with everyone for a short time and everyone has been extremely helpful and kind. I'm sure that even if I don't do a lot of jumping I'll still have a blast being a part of the community.

Glideangle - Some of the worst videos I have seen happened after they pulled the cord.

Willi91 - Yes sir. I think when you do anything long enough you lose the fear of it and in turn your become a bit arrogant. That's why every year before riding season I spend sometime watching bike crashes. I find, at least for me, that it puts a little fear back. Just enough to keep me humble:)

John - Good stuff. I have to tell you that the advice about the plane ride up will be the hardest for me. For some reason that is the most nerve racking for me. I'll definitely try to remember everything you said and get in the habit of doing these. Thanks John.

Johnny- Will do buddy:) I'm always weary of the internet. That's why I was hoping to get advice from a bunch of people. Usually when you do that you can see pattern emerge, just like here:) All great stuff, but the important stuff is be repeated and that's what I need to drill it into my head.

If you don't think you're ready for a jump then you're not. Remember it's your money and your jump so make sure you're confident on the ground before you go up. There may be times when you feel you are being rushed, make your instructors slow down. They are being paid to provide a service. Make sure you get your monies worth.