CaptnCrunch

new Tool for GoPro Camera - Altitude in the footage

Hey, I just wanted to post something about an add-on for the GoPro Camera. I am lucky enough to know the inventors of the Alti-Force Sensor Pack and had a pre-release unit to play around with. I think this is the perfect tool for all Instructors/Coaches and skydivers. It will display subtitles on your Video showing Altitude and even G-Forces. I think this is an easy to use and affordable tool for Instructors, especially for debriefing students. Here is a link to the Website and a link to a Video that shows it - they seem to have a great Product - Designed in the US and definitely something you can use to train Students or just illustrate the Altitude at any moment on a Jump.

I think the pricing is very reasonable, check it out at:
http://www.altiforce.net/

Here is the Video for the Altiforce
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=686824438095479&theater

( i am not the manufacturer or seller, i know the guys who did this and just support their Idea)

I'm not much of a gadgets and gizmos guy, but this thing seems quite useful in certain applications.

It would be great for AFF I's to have accurate altitude feedback for students, and as a load organizer I would love having altitude data to better debrief groups.

I guess it would also be pretty cool to see just how hard we get hammered once in a while. My neuro doc would love it!
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I'll be grounded.....If anyone sees my opening altitude.

Damn, I'll probably scare myself.

I do like the G-Force though, would love to see what it does on a Banger opening, or even on a spinning mal.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

I should be the guy on those "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" memes :)

So, of course, I already ordered it at the instance I came first across an advertisement :)

Classic: Told a friend of mine about it the next day and could't even remember the companys name :)

Anyway, as it's already shipped it should be here (Germany) during the next week, and in the air on the first April weekend, and I'll post an instant review about it.

If anyone has jumped one of these things please post some info on it. I am looking to use it for general skydiving activities and for canopy altitudes. I am curious how accurate it is and it it uses gps or barometric pressure. I am using a gopro hero 3 black. Shipping time? Customer support? Things like this as it seems like a fairly new company.

The website has some info on it. Shipping is USPS Priority, so just a couple days. It is barometric altitude. GPS would just drain the battery while waiting for someone to push the record button. Or if GPS was off until record, it wouldn't lock on and give altitude at the very beginning of video.

zimmerk9

If anyone has jumped one of these things please post some info on it. I am looking to use it for general skydiving activities and for canopy altitudes. I am curious how accurate it is and it it uses gps or barometric pressure. I am using a gopro hero 3 black. Shipping time? Customer support? Things like this as it seems like a fairly new company.

Looking at one of the videos on the page, it seems it has problems with inaccuracis on the altitude.
probably it's because of the GoPro casecreating a burble where the back door lets the air in.

But really?
This thing only creates subtitle files, so how does it differ from the FlySight?
Sure you have to match the video and FlySight data, but it's not that hard.
FS can also give you more data than this thing.
I don't really see the point

Hellis

***If anyone has jumped one of these things please post some info on it. I am looking to use it for general skydiving activities and for canopy altitudes. I am curious how accurate it is and it it uses gps or barometric pressure. I am using a gopro hero 3 black. Shipping time? Customer support? Things like this as it seems like a fairly new company.

Looking at one of the videos on the page, it seems it has problems with inaccuracis on the altitude.
probably it's because of the GoPro casecreating a burble where the back door lets the air in.

But really?
This thing only creates subtitle files, so how does it differ from the FlySight?
Sure you have to match the video and FlySight data, but it's not that hard.
FS can also give you more data than this thing.
I don't really see the point

They wrote, that the height is displayed in realtime with no processing to make it "stable" but i think there will be an update for it.
And yes, its barometric.

Compared to flighsight i think about some differences:

No additional mount
No additional gear to check and maintain
Cheaper (99 Dollars)
Less afterwork to merge data and video.
Dead simple :)

Sure a FS has many other great things to offer and is a great tool (gimmick) to.

The one thing I really miss with the AltiForce would be displayed speed, but I hope for future changes :)

For mem it's mostly some new gimmick to test and play with :)

But right now I'm still waiting for shipping.

FrE3minD

They wrote, that the height is displayed in realtime with no processing to make it "stable" but i think there will be an update for it.
And yes, its barometric.

Compared to flighsight i think about some differences:

No additional mount
No additional gear to check and maintain
Cheaper (99 Dollars)
Less afterwork to merge data and video.
Dead simple :)

Sure a FS has many other great things to offer and is a great tool (gimmick) to.

The one thing I really miss with the AltiForce would be displayed speed, but I hope for future changes :)

For mem it's mostly some new gimmick to test and play with :)

But right now I'm still waiting for shipping.

Still, it's $99 for data you can get from your digital altimeter or dytter (depending on which you have).
Also, with the fantastic batterytimes the GoPro have, I bet it will last two jumps ;)

actually i used it and could not see a difference in the time Battery life is concerning - the Altitudes were (for my limited Bellystuff) right on Spot, if you check the Video i did - i hold my N3 as often as possible into the pictutre as possible and it was always withing 50 Feet +/-
i think the "Burble" when you track maybe influencing the accuracy a bit - but maybe someone with a broader knowledge of that can comment.

The NICE thing is that if you are at a DZ with a TV thats plays directly from the GoPro - you have INSTANT real Time Subtitles - from the Camera - no need to match / sync it.

With the Configuration Tool, you decide what you want to display - so you can do Feet / Meter or both , GForce , XYZ etc.
And the Price is actually 74 USD for something that has been
designed by skydivers from the US - i think the price is remarkable if you think how much R&D has to be done to support all the different GoPro Modells

Played with this gizmo all last week at work. Altitude is very spot on, can be a little off/delayed on initial exit, tracking, and docking on student (basically any kind of burble scenario) but the delay and difference is not far from what my Neptune does for the same scenario. We even put this in an altimeter test chamber and recorded the footage while in the chamber which was dead on with both my Neptune and galaxy.

Since it saves data as a .SRT file, it will only play on VLC or KM player on your laptop or direct to a TV and will not show up on Windows media player, GoPro App, or the LCD backpack. The only way to play on your phone would be to stick the micro SD card directly in so it (VLC) can find the .SRT file. The DZ offset feature is awesome, as well as the temp and g force readouts, would like to see a mph reading too though.

In all, very neat product for $70 if you ask me. Gives a form of altitude awareness while watching the video footage without having to pause right when an altimeter shows up in frame to verify altitude.

the .srt file is a closed captioning file type. it can be added to vegas editors and i would assume other video editors as well.

here is link for those interested in adding the .srt file Altiforce creates to vegas pro time line

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/add_closed_captions_to_your_video_project

if flysite, turned on and Altiforce got together???

edit: moved and added words to say something completely different

If you upload it to youtube you can upload the srt and it will be visible on the video.
Or depending on how much you can do with the gopro software, is it possible to use "green screen" with it?
If yes you can use that method. But I won't explain it in detail until I know if it's even possible