1 1
brenthutch

Progressives Panic at Twitter

Recommended Posts

Conservatives: "HA!  Musk OWNED THE LIBS!  Now things will not be banned just because some lefty doesn't like them!  Free speech!  Suck it, libs!"

News story: "Elon Musk has personally cancelled a 'super rude' customer’s Tesla Model X order after he complained about a launch event for the car in an open letter."

Conservatives: "wait . . . what?  Uh - like - he's not going to do that any more, is he?  Wait . .  can we get a do-over?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Twitter stock as well as Tesla stock have been on a slide since the agreement was announced.

Twitter is currently trading at $48.32 while the agreed deal is for $54.20 per share. That to me says there are a lot of people who doubt this deal will close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
12 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Twitter stock as well as Tesla stock have been on a slide since the agreement was announced.

Twitter is currently trading at $48.32 while the agreed deal is for $54.20 per share. That to me says there are a lot of people who doubt this deal will close.

After  bullshit Musk has announced before, why would anyone believe what he says? And don't forget the annual "fully-autonomous Autopilot coming next year" announcement he makes every year.

 

 

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 09.46.34.png

Edited by ryoder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ryoder said:

After  bullshit Musk has announced before, why would anyone believe what he says? And don't forget the annual "fully-autonomous Autopilot coming next year" announcement he makes every year.

 

 

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 09.46.34.png

Elon lost allot of money by not doing that. I was wrong about him when he launched the car company. Wrong about him when he launched SpaceX. For sure he is a lose cannon. Even a crackpot conservative. But I still admire what he's achieved.

He will have to climb a big mountain to get the returns on twitter that he does on his other projects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

Elon lost allot of money by not doing that. I was wrong about him when he launched the car company.

He did not launch Tesla; He bought it.

The company was incorporated as Tesla Motors, Inc. on July 1, 2003, by Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning.[12] Eberhard and Tarpenning served as CEO and CFO, respectively.[13] Eberhard said he wanted to build "a car manufacturer that is also a technology company", with its core technologies as "the battery, the computer software, and the proprietary motor".[14]

Ian Wright was Tesla's third employee, joining a few months later.[12] In February 2004, the company raised $7.5 million in series A funding, including $6.5 million from Elon Musk, who had received $100 million from the sale of his interest in PayPal two years earlier. Musk became the chairman of the board of directors and the largest shareholder of Tesla.[15][16][13] J. B. Straubel joined Tesla in May 2004 as chief technical officer.[17]

A lawsuit settlement agreed to by Eberhard and Tesla in September 2009 allows all five – Eberhard, Tarpenning, Wright, Musk, and Straubel – to call themselves co-founders.[18]

Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla,_Inc.#Founding_(2003–2004)

Edited by ryoder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jakee said:

In what way do you believe that has happened?

Presumably because some talking head at Fox said it happened....in what way do you believe he posts his own thoughts rather than regurgitating far-right talking points?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jakee said:

In what way do you believe that has happened?

Some folks have suggested that Twitter has dialed back their algorithms that favored the left at the expense of those on the right before Musk comes in and open sources them. (I think even Twitter was caught off guard by the magnitude of the shift)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
59 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Some folks have suggested that Twitter has dialed back their algorithms that favored the left at the expense of those on the right before Musk comes in and open sources them. (I think even Twitter was caught off guard by the magnitude of the shift)

And how exactly is that connected to the article you just posted, which explains in a very obvious and hard to misunderstand way that liberal accounts are losing followers because of a campaign among liberals to leave Twitter in protest against the takeover?

I don’t really understand how you missed that bit. Again, it was really extremely obvious in the article that, again, you posted.

 

BTW, the Twitter algorithm favours liberals? When did you become a full on tin foiler?

Edited by jakee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jakee said:

And how exactly is that connected to the article you just posted, which explains in a very obvious and hard to misunderstand way that liberal accounts are losing followers because of a campaign among liberals to leave Twitter in protest against the takeover?

I don’t really understand how you missed that bit. Again, it was really extremely obvious in the article that, again, you posted.

BTW, the Twitter algorithm favours liberals?

It reminds me of the kerfuffle about not teaching CRT in public schools.

”we don’t teach CRT in public schools”…..”How dare you ban the teaching of CRT in public schools”

Now its.

”Twitter doesn’t favor the left over the right”….”OMG Musk is going to give conservatives an equal voice”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
34 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

It reminds me of the kerfuffle about not teaching CRT in public schools.

”we don’t teach CRT in public schools”…..”How dare you ban the teaching of CRT in public schools”

It must be reassuring to be so naive. CRT isn't taught in schools. Conservatives are banning a whole bunch of other stuff under the cover of the outrage they have generated over their fake defiitions of CRT.

Quote

Now its.

”Twitter doesn’t favor the left over the right”….”OMG Musk is going to give conservatives an equal voice”

Or to put it another way, now it isn't that either.

 

I notice you can't contest that once again you didn't even read your own source and have no clue what you're talking about.

Edited by jakee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
1 hour ago, jakee said:

It must be reassuring to be so naive. CRT isn't taught in schools. Conservatives are banning a whole bunch of other stuff under the cover of the outrage they have generated over their fake defiitions of CRT.

Or to put it another way, now it isn't that either.

 

Then why are the lefties abandoning Twitter?

Three hundred thousand folks decided to quit following Obama in just a day or so.¬¬

Something is happening.  Before, calling a biological man a man could get a time out.  Now it looks like Twitter has called off it’s war on science.

Edited by brenthutch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mistercwood said:

All of the actual studies that have been done on the topic have confirmed that Twitter amplifies conservative voices over progressive ones. The idea that conservatives are "censored" on the platform has always been a fiction.

Then why would the folks at Twitter bristle at the notion of their algorithms be made public.  (It’s worth noting 98%+ of Twitter employees donated to the Ds and are nearly all Silicon Valley lefties)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mistercwood said:

All of the actual studies that have been done on the topic have confirmed that Twitter amplifies conservative voices over progressive ones. The idea that conservatives are "censored" on the platform has always been a fiction.

It will be interesting to see the conservative tears if and when Musk "removes the bias" and stops amplifying conservative voices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
12 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Then why are the lefties abandoning Twitter?

Why are you asking me instead of reading the article you posted?

12 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Three hundred thousand folks decided to quit following Obama in just a day or so.¬¬

Something is happening.  Before, calling a biological man a man could get a time out.  

So in your mind hundreds of thousands of people were only following Obama because the Twitter algorithm which cracks down on anti-transgender speech had tricked them into doing so?

And this is a thing which makes sense to you in some way?

12 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Now it looks like Twitter has called off it’s war on science.

What evidence is there that Twitter’s moderation policy has changed?

Edited by jakee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Then why would the folks at Twitter bristle at the notion of their algorithms be made public.  (It’s worth noting 98%+ of Twitter employees donated to the Ds and are nearly all Silicon Valley lefties)

For the exact same reason banks and other credit providers won't tell you precisely how you didn't meet their lending criteria, if your application is unsuccessful - it prevents people from learning what the actual criteria are and gaming the system.

It's what makes Musk's statement that he wants to make the algorithm open-source AND also combat bots/spam absolutely and completely laughable, the two actions are in direct conflict with each other. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

1 1