Tuna-Salad

What whuffo questions annoy you the most?

"Why the helmet?" and shorty thereafter "it's not going to help if the parachute doesn't open, right?"
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Di0

"Why the helmet?" and shorty thereafter "it's not going to help if the parachute doesn't open, right?"

I show 'em the paint marks on the top of the helmet and remark that once you get out of the plane, the helmet's wearing YOU for protection. Plus that way I don't have to stick a gopro to my forehead.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

stayhigh

Sounds like none of you chucked a drogue for a living.

The most annoying question is, "where is my goggles?"

Not, "Do I get a helmet too?"

I don't chuck a drogue, but I hang out with people who do!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Andy9o8

*** The most annoying question is, "where is my goggles?"

Tell me about it! Failure to use an appropriate plurative would annoy me, too.
Really, nobody tries anymore.

True. [:/]

:D

Where are my pants?
Where are my glasses?...
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

****** The most annoying question is, "where is my goggles?"

Tell me about it! Failure to use an appropriate plurative would annoy me, too.
Really, nobody tries anymore.

True. [:/]Could have been worse. " I axed you where is my googles at?" [:/] "And that big watch."

:D

Where are my pants?
Where are my glasses?...
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I only wear one goggle on my face.

I don't know how you guys come up with the justification of what is correct.

Yes, pants, glasses, all that are used so common that it is what it is. But what about the goggle?

you say nife, I say knife. I actually use the k, in front of the nife.
You say nob, I say knob.

I'm so fucked if I have to learn French. They mispronounce shit all the time.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

stayhigh

I only wear one goggle on my face.

I don't know how you guys come up with the justification of what is correct.

Yes, pants, glasses, all that are used so common that it is what it is. But what about the goggle?

you say nife, I say knife. I actually use the k, in front of the nife.

Well "goggles" is a noun describing a type of eyewear. "goggle" is a verb describing an action. You don't wear a goggle. You wear goggles.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

Fuck yeah!!!!

Finally someone with the legit answer. I looked up the webster and "goggle" is a verb.

No one has ever came up with the legit answer yet, all they came up with was pants and glasses theory, or it is just how it is...

Thx brah,,, I will say goggles from now on.

What about knife and nife issue?
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

stayhigh

Fuck yeah!!!!

Finally someone with the legit answer. I looked up the webster and "goggle" is a verb.

No one has ever came up with the legit answer yet, all they came up with was pants and glasses theory, or it is just how it is...

Thx brah,,, I will say goggles from now on.

What about knife and nife issue?

Well a knife is a cutting instrument. The silent k is a remnant of old english in which the letter was not silent and depending on context was pronounced in different ways. "nife" is the theoretical chemical composition of the earth's core which is thought to be primarily composed of Nickel (Ni) and Iron (Fe)
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

The most annoying come from new jumpers who ask questions and then don't listen to the answer, or who post to a forum or facebook "I need help with ______ but I'm not going to search for the answer or ask my instructors, just tell me what I want to hear".

Whuffos are fine, questions boil down to:
nothing is like flight
you don't know what you will like until you try it
try new things - whatever things you want to try.

jclalor

How high does the opening chute pull you up?

Best answer I ever heard (by a serious smartass):

"It depends on how hard you pull the ripcord. Once I pulled it as hard as I could and almost made it back up to the plane."

And the questioner almost believed him.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

***How high does the opening chute pull you up?

Best answer I ever heard (by a serious smartass):

"It depends on how hard you pull the ripcord. Once I pulled it as hard as I could and almost made it back up to the plane."

And the questioner almost believed him.

I knew a few guys who did annual demo into some lakeside area in SouthEastern MI. One of them told me there were usually quite a few Amish that would come to the demo, and that the questions he got from them were generally *much* more intelligent than the usual whuffo questions!:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I knew a few guys who did annual demo into some lakeside area in SouthEastern MI. One of them told me there were usually quite a few Amish that would come to the demo, and that the questions he got from them were generally *much* more intelligent than the usual whuffo questions!:D

Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

Not that the Amish are more intelligent than the "English" (as they call us).

But more that they've never been exposed to all the stuff that's shown on TV and in movies, so they don't have any of the preconceived misconceptions that so many people have.

And I've noticed that someone who approaches a subject from total ignorance often asks better questions because they are aware that they know nothing and are more observant.
Unlike the "I've seen it in a movie" or "my uncle's cousin's brother used to do it" types who refuse to acknowledge that what they "know" is wrong.

Applies to lots of subjects, not just jumping.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

jclalor

I also enjoy the look on faces when I explained that a 14 year old highschool girl packed my parachute all weekend. Wuffos's all seem to think that there's some skydiver code, that only the person packing the rig can jump it.

Well, the FARs state that (along with a rigger or a person under supervision), so it's not all that surprising.

I think it's funny that they seem to think it's incredibly involved and intricate. When they see a quick "Shake, flake, flop, flatten, fold & stuff", they ask if I'm sure it will open.

I usually say:

It's a modern ram-air canopy, it wants to open.

I'm going to toss it out into a 120mph airstream. It wouldn't stay neat for long.

I have a reserve. That was packed with extreme care and painstaking detail by an FAA certified rigger. I'm confident that it will open properly if needed.

Guru312

The only thing which annoys me more than whuffo questions is a group of skydivers highjacking a thread to argue semantics and grammar.

Pfft. That's like saying a herd of fish. Skydivers don't come in groups, they come in formations.