Tuna-Salad

What whuffo questions annoy you the most?

The only thing that annoys me is that everyone thinks it's so easy to do, but it's like the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. "Don't you just fall? What's so hard about that?" [:/]

I was going to say the exact opposite. The people I come across seem to think its some mythical thing to be a skydiver and so unbelievably difficult to accomplish. When I tell them that anyone can do it and there are people who are 80+ years old who I have jumped with they start to realize that's its not such a big deal. You are just falling, lets not make it out to be harder than it is.

Im not saying its easy to be a skygod at freeflying, winguits, etc... but any idiot with minimal coordination could become a pretty decent freefaller with just 10-20 minutes of tunnel time and then probably pass all their aff levels first try. Whether they kill themselves under canopy is a different story...

Yeah I'll most likely answer any of the questions if they ask, but that doesn't necessarily mean I like to. As long as they don't get started asking about BASE and getting all into the conversation I can deal with it. However, if I hear "Did you see that Nitro Circus where Travis Pastrana chugs a red bull and jumps out without a parachute?" again I may snap.

Sure it's easy to fall, but stress management is also in play.. you cannot die in the tunnel.. (you can, but it would be pretty hard)
My hardest part of AFF was remembering what the hell to do with the loud wind and shit in my pants on the way down...

I try to describe skydiving like this to whuffos
(for those of you who play call of duty or know what a flashbang is)

I say: "it's like having the swat team throw a flashbang at you but you still have to react and make the right choice"

By that I mean, sensory overload while keeping a cool head and being able to make decisions...
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

Im not saying its easy to be a skygod at freeflying, winguits, etc... but any idiot with minimal coordination could become a pretty decent freefaller with just 10-20 minutes of tunnel time and then probably pass all their aff levels first try. Whether they kill themselves under canopy is a different story...

Word. the basic stable freefall position probably takes about 5 min, not 20. Most people seem to think the difficulty is 'packing your own chute'.

then the classic "I wish I could do that". or "It's too expensive to start". they say this as they lay down $150 for one night worth of drinking, smoking, and partying and then take off work the next day to sleep it off. If you wanted to, you would. get up off your drunk lazy ass and go do it. NO sympathy.

I think we've all busted bullshitters before. There's some decent older threads that discuss that very topic. Sometimes I let it slide and act all amazed at their exploits, other times I bust their balls in front of everyone. It just depends. >:(

I hate it when people don't understand why you would do it more than once a weekend. They say something like "isn't that rush enough to last you?" That's when I want to just give up explaining things.

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

None of them annoy me, actually it's quite fun to decently inform them on how things really are so they know better and even would want to go and try do it themselves...
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

None. They don't know so they ask questions - that's how they got the name.

What is terribly annoying is the 100 jump wonder who is asking about setting up a company to do advertising to get anyone and everyone to the dz so he/she can make free jumps until they get ratings so they can give back to the sport. This person is also the one with pictures of them skydiving all over their office/cube/cardboard box who never stops telling you stories about how extreme and cool they are.

What's it feel like when ya 'got back up' when the 'chute opens? :ph34r:

I tell them it is a rush. Then wait for a second and say we have to be very careful we don't open them inside or we could be injured.B|:ph34r:

I was giving a talk in a High School once and told 'em that.

"...never wanna open it in the house, you'll go right through the roof!" :D

Got Video?? :PB|
Arizona only has two seasons, Hot and HOTTER!

None of those questions bother me. I've been jumping for 30 years, and have learned to expect the basic questions, and now I appreciate them as an opportunity to start a conversation and then drive it in the direction I want to go. If a whuffo asks a question, I view it as an opportunity to provide an education and win a new friend/supporter.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Excuse me.. are those mosquito bites or is that where ur tits are supposed to be?

I dare you to ask them this "did you have a double mastectomy?" :ph34r:

Yes, I know I'm going to hell. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good plane?

I have never heard someone say this apart from skydivers?! Do people actually ever ask it?

Absolutely.

Absofuckinglutely...;)

Only been doing this 5 minutes and been asked this beaut a bunch of times already...i've got a vid on my phone of our Porter still near vertical coming in to land, so show them this and say "because I don't wanna come down in this..." *

and the "shoot back up.." is a v close second.

*actually I really REALLY do, but I'm sure you get my drift:D

I say: "it's like having the swat team throw a flashbang at you but you still have to react and make the right choice"

By that I mean, sensory overload while keeping a cool head and being able to make decisions...

I'm just curious, and maybe this is one of the annoying questions some of you have experienced, but is it really that bad in freefall? Call me out for lack of experience if you'd like, but I don't see where you're coming from with this.

One thing I'm very tired of explaining is the idea that being higher is somehow worse. I've had to say plenty of times that the more altitude you have, the more time you have to do things, the safer you generally are. Nobody has ever been like "13,500? That's low." It's often been "13,500? Isn't it dangerous to be so high?" to which I reply, a facepalm...

And then I steer the guy in the right direction in that subject area of jumping.
Dropzones are terrible places for inspiration. What does one think when one looks up for a sign only to see a bunch of people falling?

I'm just curious, and maybe this is one of the annoying questions some of you have experienced, but is it really that bad in freefall?

"...have SWAT flashbang your bedroom at three AM and demand you solve maths equations..." was a pretty good analogy of my level 1 AFF.

Overload had gone by level 3 though:)

I gave up trying to answer these questions... and the ever present.. "I wouldn't do that unless the plane was crashing"

The perfectly good airplanes has to be my pet peeve..

The one that kills me is: If I have sex with you will you take me skydiving, come on, im not just some piece of meat here.:ph34r::D
I Am Sofa King We Todd Did!!

The only thing that annoys me is that everyone thinks it's so easy to do, but it's like the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. "Don't you just fall? What's so hard about that?"

OMFG, this!

On top of that, when people ask how many jumps I've do and I say 180... they go "Wow, doesn't it get boring, wouldn't you get just sick of falling?".

Whuffos just don't understand.

I take the same approach as you for a slightly different topic.

I'm a frenchman who moved to norway 4 years. So Every. Single. Person. i meet ask me "Why Norway?". I could tell them to fuck off or use my well prepared answer to answer nicely and move the conversation forward.

The "Why skydive" and similar questions also require a basic preformatted answer. And then move on. It is obviously the first time ever that person met someone who skydives and has the right to ask IMO.

First timers questions are always fine by my book. The repeaters / harrassers on the other hand...