1 1
brenthutch

Earth Day

Global estimates suggest that naturally occurring oil seeps account for some 47% of the oil released into the ocean environment; on average, 160,000 tons of petroleum leak into waters surrounding North America each year.

Unexplained uncontextualized beachings can be a morbid sight,so in true morbid fashion, I'll  pitch in.

A true believer made the ultimate sacrifice for our cause, a senseless suicide some say, a needless release of greenhouse gas emissions.I'll spare us all the visuals.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/23/politics/supreme-court-man-dies-fire/index.html

Reminds me of the El Paso Walmart shooter, let's see how the faithful spin the little fire on the steps of the Supreme Court.

1 hour ago, richravizza said:

Global estimates suggest that naturally occurring oil seeps account for some 47% of the oil released into the ocean environment; on average, 160,000 tons of petroleum leak into waters surrounding North America each year.

So humans have more than doubled the natural seepage.  Seems like a good thing to avoid.

Bill, like oil and water you and I.

I was hoping you'd comment on the mass psychosis that drove one to such despair of the future, so bleak that  such a sacrifice is required, and if you think those failed albeit dire predictions of climate crisis might have something to do with the human tragedy?

I'll leave agreeing with you that any man made leakage is undesirable,even if it were possible to reduce it by 100%. My point, Phills risk to the environment will never be eliminated.

Well, Joe B  is optimistic he can save a bit more of the earth with a climate friendly military fleet , considering all those recharge stations on the battlefield and the time that can be afforded to stop and use them. Or perhaps hydrogen?  Large tanks of it on a battlefield? Sounds splendid. Maybe the mid-air refuelling of other aircraft will soon be an electric cable dropped from a KC135 Tesla big battery...   'cause climate change is a graver concern than an enemy at the gate. ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, metalslug said:

Well, Joe B  is optimistic he can save a bit more of the earth with a climate friendly military fleet , considering all those recharge stations on the battlefield and the time that can be afforded to stop and use them. Or perhaps hydrogen? 

Or perhaps these:

https://newatlas.com/military/us-air-force-nuclear-micro-reactor-alaska/

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/us-military-oks-prototype-mobile-nuclear-reactor-idaho-84224272

9 hours ago, richravizza said:

Bill, like oil and water you and I.

I was hoping you'd comment on the mass psychosis that drove one to such despair of the future . . .

Which "mass psychosis" is that?  A belief that reducing pollution is a good thing?  If so, you share it according to your post, so perhaps learning to live with that particular psychosis is the smart ticket.   I mean, a lot of us already live with the mass psychoes that diet and exercise is important, that you shouldn't drive drunk and that smoking is, in general, bad for you.

My point, Phills risk to the environment will never be eliminated.

Of course.  Our goal is to reduce, not eliminate, risks to the environment.

9 hours ago, billvon said:

Those seem great. I'm rather a fan of modern nuclear at the moment. In fairness though; Joe was referring to powering vehicles specifically, not remote sites. Those don't seem quite suitable in that respect.

2 hours ago, metalslug said:

Those seem great. I'm rather a fan of modern nuclear at the moment. In fairness though; Joe was referring to powering vehicles specifically . . .

Right.  And you were wondering about how we would power "all those recharge stations on the battlefield."  That's one way.

One of the reason nuclear/solar power is so important to the military is that during the sort of fighting we did in Iraq - lots of bases to supply, not a lot of fighting - the #1 risk to personnel was during logistics operations, because they were frequent and hard to defend.  Removing the need to ship gasoline and diesel would save a lot of lives.

That's why they want it - and that's why they are spending so much money on it.

6 hours ago, billvon said:

... the #1 risk to personnel was during logistics operations, because they were frequent and hard to defend.  Removing the need to ship gasoline and diesel would save a lot of lives.

That's why they want it - and that's why they are spending so much money on it.

The military did a lot of R&D on solar during the Iraq & Afghanistan conflicts.

Those environments had a lot of available sun, and small, portable solar power made a lot of sense.

There was a story talking about it, and one of the more interesting points was that a gallon of gas or diesel cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 once it made it all the way to a forward base due to the transport costs.
If they could use solar to recharge batteries for radios, GPS, NVG, etc instead of generators, they could save a lot of both money and lives

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The military did a lot of R&D on solar during the Iraq & Afghanistan conflicts.

Those environments had a lot of available sun, and small, portable solar power made a lot of sense.

There was a story talking about it, and one of the more interesting points was that a gallon of gas or diesel cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 once it made it all the way to a forward base due to the transport costs.
If they could use solar to recharge batteries for radios, GPS, NVG, etc instead of generators, they could save a lot of both money and lives

And they continue to work on it. Recent success story:

https://newatlas.com/energy/us-navy-beams-1-6-kw-power-kilometer-microwaves/

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

And they continue to work on it. Recent success story:

https://newatlas.com/energy/us-navy-beams-1-6-kw-power-kilometer-microwaves/

That's cool, but they've been doing that since the 1970's - over longer distances as well.  In 1975 they transferred 30kW over a mile for a test of solar power satellites.