RMURRAY

Kodiak - single turbine

The Kodiak has been in operation at Lippspringe DZ , germany for the last two weeks and has performed brilliantly. The average time from take off to 13,000 to landing is about 23 minutes but we might be able to shave a minute or so off that with more practice. Thats with 4 x 4 way teams + camera men.

good to hear!

you can fit how many jumpers in?

from the numbers from Quest (the Original Post), even fully loaded it should be turning around faster than 23 minutes???

R

The Kodiak has been in operation at Lippspringe DZ , germany for the last two weeks and has performed brilliantly. The average time from take off to 13,000 to landing is about 23 minutes but we might be able to shave a minute or so off that with more practice. Thats with 4 x 4 way teams + camera men.

it fits 20 skydivers ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

23 minute turns with a -34 powered airplane with only 12 jumpers? I am quite honestly not that impressed with the performance. I would rather have a -20 powered Twin Otter, at least then you would have the saftey of two engines too. I can do 18 minute turns with 12-14 jumpers on an -20 otter with only 20-22 gallons of fuel burned. I'm curious what the fuel burn is on the Kodiak. I gotta tell ya though, it is a beautiful airplane. I looks rugged as hell! I would love to fly one to see how she handles.
Airline Transport Pilot, Multi-Engine Land, DHC-8
Commercial Multi-Engine Sea, Single Engine Land
Private Glider

An update on the turnaround of the Kodiak.

I have been flying it all weekend and managed to average 20 mins per lift. One or two were in the region of 18 mins (straight to the top no stops in between) and some were a bit longer (drops at 5k , 10K etc)
We seem to be using about 85lb - 90lb of fuel per high lift depending on how much faffing about goes on.......... its all about the conditions of the day and a little bit of practice...........

An update on the turnaround of the Kodiak.

I have been flying it all weekend and managed to average 20 mins per lift. One or two were in the region of 18 mins (straight to the top no stops in between) and some were a bit longer (drops at 5k , 10K etc)
We seem to be using about 85lb - 90lb of fuel per high lift depending on how much faffing about goes on.......... its all about the conditions of the day and a little bit of practice...........

thanks! yes, I think we are all assuming no low jump runs - just straight up and down as fast as possible. does that convert to 49 liters (13 US gal) of fuel? and is that efficient?

Any Kodiak updates? Has anyone else taken delivery for skydiving ops?

I will ask one more time since there is some discussion of Kodiks on the PAC thread...

Has anyone else taken delivery for skydiving ops?
What is the best turnaround time (wheels up to wheels up) and with how many jumpers and what conditions? how many jumpers can physically fit? Are Quest's rate of climb numbers true (8.5 minutes from brake release to 12k AGL at 157 pounds less than max take off weight). I attached the spec sheet from Quest's website.

R

Any Kodiak updates? Has anyone else taken delivery for skydiving ops?

What he said. A friend spotted one yesterday @ Paine Field (north of Seattle) getting a jump door put on it and a paint job. Tail number shows a temp cert still issued to Quest Aircraft.

Anyone in the U.S. adding one of these to their fleet? Or is this one destined for somewhere abroad?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Back in February, I had a long chat with Sgt. (retired) Bill Sharp (and his Major) - from Bad Lipspringe - about their first season of Kodiak operations.

They were generally pleased with their Kodiak and were hammering out some minor nuisances with seating arrangements, floor mats, seat belts, fumes and floater steps.
The following week I shared my suggestions with the Kodiak factory.

Skydive Tecumseh in Michigan started flying Kodiak SN 0052 full time last weekend. Brand new out of the box

I don't see a camera step, that has to be kinda sucky?
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Skydive Tecumseh in Michigan started flying Kodiak SN 0052 full time last weekend. Brand new out of the box

Nice. I hope this aircraft blows the PAC750 out of the sky. ;)

Why would you hope that?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Nice. I hope this aircraft blows the PAC750 out of the sky. ;)

Why would you hope that?

Sparky

Perhaps because it is built in the USA, and has a higher tail. Does anyone know offhand how it compares in price and interior dimensions (is it a larger cross section)?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am