RMURRAY

Kodiak - single turbine

I saw a classified looking for a small turbine plane and emailed Quest Aircraft about the Kodiak. Here is what I got back. Looks like it will be rivalling the PAC750......

Hi Rob,
Thank you for your interest in the KODIAK! There will be a 'parachute' version of the KODIAK as we have depsitors that plan to use it for that very purpose. The details of the modifications have not been finalized. I have attached a preliminary parachute specification list for your interest. Please let me know if I can provide anymore information or be of further assistance.
Sincerely,
Sarah Gates
Sales Assistant
[email protected]
208-263-1111

Do you know how jumpers it will hold? By load rating it should be able to hold about 15, but with only 8 normal passenger seats possible, perhaps they won't fit (using the example of a twin otter that can have 20 seats and holds 23 jumpers).

The tail is definitely higher/better than on the PAC.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I don't know if they show a price somewhere else on their site that's more current, but in March of 2006 an article in the press section of their site says "The plane’s current base price is $1.3 million includes a three screen Garmin G1000 avionics suite."

That would be about the same price as a PAC750, but I would be very surprised if the price hadn't gone up over the last year. Also that's not the price for a plane outfitted for skydiving, which I would hope would run a little cheaper.

Dave

Any idea how this plane compares to a PC-12, Turbo Beaver or a Caravan? Thinking about price, payload, fuel etc... Also, how well they operate as jumpships?

From my knowledge, the above listed planes are all in the same league.

Hopefully someone has some info.

Thanks
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Kodiak is what Cessna's Caravan would look like if it were designed for jumping: bigger engine, bigger wing and smaller cabin.
It looks like Kodiaks will carry about 10 jumpers at a time, ideal for a two-Cessna DZ trying to move up. Tandem instructors will love it because it will carry so many - small - loads per day that they will be able to earn serious money.

Sure, the numbers may say that a Kodiak can carry more weight, but it would be like trying to stuff 17 into a PAC 750. (Last week at the PIA Symposium) Ray Ferrel assured us that PACs could carry 17, but 12 ... maybe 14 ... looks far more comfortable and practical.

Kodiak looks like the perfect size for small DZs that are growing: 10 seats, fixed gear, etc.

Kodiak is what Cessna's Caravan would look like if it were designed for jumping: bigger engine, bigger wing and smaller cabin.
It looks like Kodiaks will carry about 10 jumpers at a time, ideal for a two-Cessna DZ trying to move up. Tandem instructors will love it because it will carry so many - small - loads per day that they will be able to earn serious money.

Sure, the numbers may say that a Kodiak can carry more weight, but it would be like trying to stuff 17 into a PAC 750. (Last week at the PIA Symposium) Ray Ferrel assured us that PACs could carry 17, but 12 ... maybe 14 ... looks far more comfortable and practical.

Kodiak looks like the perfect size for small DZs that are growing: 10 seats, fixed gear, etc.

so it would most likely be flying "light" and the climb rates would be better. nice. What about the rear stabilizer - is that high enough and far enough away for comfort?

rm

What about the rear stabilizer - is that high enough and far enough away for comfort?

Looks pretty high to me, much better than a PAC or King Air, not as high as a Twin Otter.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The PT6 is probably up in the most reliable engines out there.

But ours quit mid flight, without warning last summer. Just a few hundred hours after the overhaul. Don't know the bells and whistles, just that beginning of january the DZO was still waiting for the report of P&W.

Happily the engine quit at 8k, so everyone made it out alive, and the great cessna grand caravan is a great glider, the pilot told me... :D
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Any idea how this plane compares to a PC-12, Also, how well they operate as jumpships?

do you know a PC12 jumpship ?? WHERE WHERE WHERE :o:)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Any idea how this plane compares to a PC-12, Also, how well they operate as jumpships?

do you know a PC12 jumpship ?? WHERE WHERE WHERE :o:)

I'm no expert but the PC12 has retractable landing gear. The Kodiak is designed from the ground up to be a tough bush plane - i.e. a modern replacement for the DHC-2 Beaver and the DHC-3 (single) Otter. Once they are in production, I will ask if they could install the new Trace Engines V8 turbo (600HP), then maybe we could afford one up here in the great white north...

rm