cocheese

The old AND bold skydiver list

Sky Huminsky is 75, and still makes about 700 jumps a year.

Betty Bennett is XX (unchivalrous to mention the age of a lady), has 2 artificial hips, and does well over 100 jumps a year.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The true OLD ones, are the ones who have Made skydives, with a chest mount reserve, verified by logbook entries. imo
and who MAY have flirted with the Bold Side,, during the 60's 70s' or early 80s'....

And

IF a jumper has had a cutaway On shot & a halves.... then they automatically Qualify...
and If they've deployed a cheapo reserve. without a Pilot chute, by throwing it, "down & in the direction of the spin".. They are the " King of the Castle ".

I guess that means I'm on the list..... LOL however the HD reserve was in my FJC training, but by the time I used one we had pilot chutes by then and used our shot 1/2's or tape wells.

Some of us were still doing that shit in the 90's & 2000's for shits and grins....:D

"those guys were so low you could count their fingers & toes"

Christ that puts me on the list too [:/]... 5 chops on Capewells and that is not counting the .... uh... canopy transfers at reserve repack time including a couple hand deploys for grins.

Nowadays I confine sketchy shit to that which I consider the risks to be manageable.. like the 300 MPH stuff ( ok so I feel the need ... the need to GO that speed)

Edited
Wait.. does jumping the old stuff from the 50's 60's and 70's with capewells and belly warts within the last 5 years mean sketchy stuff too??

I only jump them on WATER jumps.... really:)

Gary Peters is over 65 and has still competes regularly on Redline CRW Team. Some years we make 500 practice jumps! He's on a JFX 96 also.

Not sure how many round jumps he's got, but he does have over 5000 crw jumps over at least 25 years. I'm sure some he ended up on a round!

I think that also qualifies as old and bold!

Jump more, post less!

A friend here in NZ in in his 70s and has been jumping since the 70s. He has developed Parkinsons and has had to change his gear from BOC to a leg pouch because he can't reach the BOC anymore. Legend.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

I won't mention her age, but Carol Clay passed the 17,000 jump mark this year. I'm not sure how much time she spent in freefall, but you would measure it with a calender.

I haven't personally witnessed anything from her that would qualify as really BOLD.

But I have heard stories...

I'll throw out some names not already mentioned.
Pat Moorehead
Handsome Dave DeWolf
Bill Jones
Ray Cottingham

Great guys, great stories.

He'll kick my ass if he finds out I posted this, but Myles Elsing is probably the baddest of the old dudes.(He's not THAT old.)
He skydives, base jumps, and can fly anything that flies. Planes, Helicopters, you name it. And he's a hell of a good guy.

No one tell, please.:P

IF a jumper has had a cutaway On shot & a halves.... then they automatically Qualify...!!

I knew if I kept at it long enough, sooner or later I would qualify for something :)

If they've deployed a cheapo reserve, without a Pilot chute, by throwing it, "down & in the direction of the spin".. They are the " Kings of the Castle ".

Having told others during FJC's to throw it down into the direction of the spin also counts? Or is that presumptuous?

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Plus any list such as this HAS to include "Bill Dellie" (sp?)...(skybill)

Craterpond,[whoever you are??] I appreciate the nomination, however, I'm just "OLD!" 'Lots a names from the left coast so I'll toss out a few from Dixie. Back in the day 'twas a guy named Frank "Major Goodie" Goodman whose antics kept us amused!! From Tejas way back when there was "Carlos Wallace" who definitely fit the "Bold" category. Pat Works was in his part of the woods back then and can probably add some stories!! Also old Leon "Spike" Riche from Hammond and Covington, LA. In some thread, I think "Scary stories from the old days' niki1 tells of spike leaving the Beech in a cardboard refrigerator box. He couldn't get out and pulled his ripcord (PC in a sleeve with spring pilot chute) then threw the p/c up over the top of the box into the slip stream to deploy!! Had it not worked he would have been "boxed up" just nice for the Coroner!!" There are many testamonies, Play on Gypsies, Play on!! Who are you anyway??

PS BTW the name is Bill Deli and a tip of the Hatlo Hat and a Beer on me at Big Harry's if'n ya' know my real first name??
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Sparky, I thought of you, when I read this thread. I haven't been on here much, or I would have definitely posted your name. Yup, you qualify as part of the old and bold, and that's a compliment! Love the photo! B|

Thank you Darlin. :)
You’ve only known me for the old part. In my younger days I could kick up dust with the best of them. 25/30 years ago you had to walk a pretty fine line to be part of old time Air Trash and being welcome in polite company. :P Sometimes on one side and sometimes on the other. Me and the Reaper used to dance on a regular basis. But I guess we all mellow with age, that and watching the carnage being bold can bring. [:/]

Here is a load of the bold in the early 80’s I think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53825637@N06/5391895645/

This is what Perris was like when ships where made of wood and men were made of iron.:P

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53825637@N06/5392494734/

Good to hear from you again. ;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

and If they've deployed a chest reserve, without a Pilot chute, by throwing it, "down & in the direction of the spin".. They are the " Kings of the Castle ".

Done that... And I'm pretty young ;)
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

The true OLD ones, are the ones who have Made skydives, with a chest mount reserve, verified by logbook entries. imo
and who MAY have flirted with the Bold Side,, during the 60's 70s' or early 80s'....

Check, made many jumps with a chest mount including a 4 way.

IF a jumper has had a cutaway On shot & a halves.... then they automatically Qualify...!!
and If they've deployed a cheapo reserve, without a Pilot chute, by throwing it, "down & in the direction of the spin".. They are the " Kings of the Castle ".

Check, 4 cutaways on capewells, one on shot and a halfs and 3 on R-3's Never hand deployed a cheapo but jumped that system, I also taught that method as instructor in the FJC.

I may be Bold,,, in other areas of my life..and may have had that approach to skydiving, a long time ago.... but Nowadays, i leave THAT stuff, @ Home... when i head to the DZ..:o:)

Check, I was fairly bold in my teens and twentys but it seems tame by todays standards. I am glad they didn't have tiny swoop canopies when I was that age, probably would not be here now. The funny thing is the kids today think the stuff we used to do was crazy (jumping rounds, Mr. bills, accuracy CRW, water jumps, etc.)

i've been skydiving for more than 66% of my entire life... so that could qualify me as OLD.. even though i'm still "just a kid at heart"...;)

Same here, my 30 year anniversary is this March but it doesn't seem that long ago. I made almost 400 jumps in 2010, never made that many a year "back in the day"

The planes were slower, the parachutes bigger and took longer to pack, and the landings were burly. Besides that I was broke and lived in a tent at the DZ.

Ah yes, the good old days!
Onward and Upward!

Gary Peters is over 65 and has still competes regularly on Redline CRW Team.

I'm over 65 too. Just returned from the first ever wingsuit 25-way vertical diamond.
www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2108629&id=1310705011&page=5

BEER!!!!:P

Yeah, we drank beer.;)

"Carlos Wallace" who definitely fit the "Bold" category. Pat Works was in his part of the woods back then and can probably add some stories!!

C.G. Wallace, D42, for whom the Godfrog Trophy is named.

Pat Works, SCS#1, is still going strong.

I'll throw out some names not already mentioned.
Pat Moorehead
Handsome Dave DeWolf
Bill Jones
Ray Cottingham

Bob Sinclair probably qualifies for this list. I haven't seen him in a couple of years, but as far as I know he's still kicking about. Only person I've jumped with who never wears goggles or anything. Taking Carson on what I'm told amounted to an early AFF style jump ought to get him a point or two!
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

I feel neither old nor bold, but since there is a picture on FB of me in conventional gear with cheapos (the parachutes, not the other jumpers), about to get on the airplane, I must qualify. I did cut away on R2's, and I have experimented with gear -- do those count?

Scotty Carbone, OTOH, would qualify for both :ph34r:, as would Bill Cole and Bob Sinclair.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Carbone was on the 2004 all round load in Richmond as was a Bill Cole rig and Bob was there watching it all with a smile.....

Some of those old guys were the ones who started the list (as you know) and the only reason their names need posted is for the pups to learn the history.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

BOLDEST: haha Bill Dause, who else?

OLDEST: mike spurgeon probably, 72...or still, and still does tandems all day everyday

theres some other guy who hangs out at lodi who's pretty old and hes got a reallly low 3 digit number to some preUSPA association. hes pretty fun to talk to but i've never caught his name.
Jump more, Bitch less.

So- If I'm watching Richard Pryor, did a cutaway on a round and am super hammered drunk, landed at night under a 24' reserve, and am totally awesome, under age "OLD AS STONE", TRYING TO SEPARATE MYSELF FROM THE 'REGULAR JUMPER', AND not BE A CREEPY OLD COOT WHO POSTS ON DORKZONE for gay therapy and gayness, what does that make me?????

TOTALLY FUCKInG aMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HATE ALL YOU FUCKERS WHO POST On DZ.DORKZONE Your BorINGBORINGNESS.COM

-SHAZZZAMMM!!
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."