cocheese

The old AND bold skydiver list

jimmytavino

I shared my "pre-second" Boeing 727 jump with Bob Roach and some of his friends from South Dakota... at Quincy Ill..

friendly and cordial guy.:)

I was on that jump...
It was my REAL 2ND jet jump.
10 way if I remember right, Bob was third in the lineup. I left 2nd with a pack hold on a low time woman in front of me. We flew down to Bob, who must have weighed about 290 at the time.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

jumpwally

....sounds like you needed packing lessons and newer gear....

I learned on jump #5 that I could not pack a Papillion worth a shit..... Looking up at that ball of shit motivated my first cutaway... and I got the reserve kicker plate back.. it was in the ball of shit that was my main.

Lets not overlook Tom Morehead, now 83 who just participated in SOS, and JOS WR this April. On his 80th birthday set a new world record with 81 jumps in 6 hours. And how about Bill Jones?? There are a lot of very active older jumpers who meet the old and bold list.

pchapman

@ Amazon
You were quick on the draw for the kicker plate and main to come together!
Despite the round main, you would have been on 3 rings?

Capewells..J-1 type...I was VERY good at releasing them since my job entailed teaching college boys who flew USAF planes how to use them for years... and by the time I was making my 5th jump at the dz I probably had 50 or 60 water landings under parasails equipped with J-1 Capewells. :D

Oh and I was motivated.... the planet was coming at me kinda fast.