cocheese

The old AND bold skydiver list

Jim Hickey, hands down. Eike Hohenadl.
Then me, most likely.

THAT IS WHY I LIKE U SOO MUCH!! hahha

you gonna be around 'snore tomorrow?? if so you got a w/s I could borrow? I realize it is just to inflate your ego but humor me plz!!
:D:D:D
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

We used to have a guy regularly jumping well into his seventies, but I guess that's not so unusual. I wouldn't have called him especially bold, either.

Don't think we have any septuagenarians now - certainly no octagenarians. And as far as I know, no Rastafarians. Possibly some Bulgarians, but none of them is a septuagenarian Bulgarian.

the BOLD ones seem to be the youngsters of the sport.. I.e. under 5- 10 years... Their chronological age may not matter..
it's more about the self perceived skillz. and How much they are willing to flirt with the edge of the envelope...That's the bold..:| But i don't fault them... :| to each his own and we've all had a part of our lives where we were full of energy imagination and enthusiasm... and accomplishing certain things, led us to want to accomplish more...

Oldsters, who happen to have taken up the sport in their later years.... don't automatically qualify as " Old in the Sport"
They are just of advanced age, and have larger disposable incomes...:P hahaha

The true OLD ones, are the ones who have Made skydives, with a chest mount reserve, verified by logbook entries. imo
and who MAY have flirted with the Bold Side,, during the 60's 70s' or early 80s'....
If they were TOO bold.. they may not still be IN the sport .[:/]
If they kept the "wild & crazy" to a sensible level.. or gradually reduced that aspect of their skydiving,,, then they could qualify as Old skydivers today.:)IF a jumper has had a cutaway On shot & a halves.... then they automatically Qualify...!!
and If they've deployed a cheapo reserve, without a Pilot chute, by throwing it, "down & in the direction of the spin".. They are the " Kings of the Castle ".
Our club has a couple of jumpers , who started in the mid to late 60's and a few from the early 70's....
I may be Bold,,, in other areas of my life..and may have had that approach to skydiving, a long time ago.... but Nowadays, i leave THAT stuff, @ Home... when i head to the DZ..:o:)
i've been skydiving for more than 66% of my entire life... so that could qualify me as OLD.. even though i'm still "just a kid at heart"...;)

NOW... to properly answer the original question
It's likely someone UNDER the age of 35...
who has really good abilities,,,is safe and capable and Does work,, the edge of the envelope . Maybe in the sport for a while thousands of jumps... Knowlwdgeable enough to be Both Old... and Bold...
could simply be,,, that they have Yet to experience
"that skydive which Humbles"...
may we ALLL never have such jumps...:|

jt
A 3914
POPS 3935
nscr 1817

I recently attended a couple of events which were full of them - the POPS World Record Big-Way Attempts and the National Skydiving Museum Hall of Fame Induction, both at DeLand. There were so many Old and Bold skydivers at these two events, it was mind-boggling.

There have been times when I remember feeling Bold, and just about every morning getting out of bed, I feel Old. But being around folks that I have heard and read about for years, was truly humbling. Ours is an exceptional sport, and I never tire of the exceptional people who are drawn to it, both young and old.

Kevin K.

The true OLD ones, are the ones who have Made skydives, with a chest mount reserve, verified by logbook entries. imo
and who MAY have flirted with the Bold Side,, during the 60's 70s' or early 80s'....

And

IF a jumper has had a cutaway On shot & a halves.... then they automatically Qualify...
and If they've deployed a cheapo reserve. without a Pilot chute, by throwing it, "down & in the direction of the spin".. They are the " King of the Castle ".

I guess that means I'm on the list..... LOL however the HD reserve was in my FJC training, but by the time I used one we had pilot chutes by then and used our shot 1/2's or tape wells.

Some of us were still doing that shit in the 90's & 2000's for shits and grins....:D

"those guys were so low you could count their fingers & toes"
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

That was a true quote, heard it muttered from the crowd as we were picking up our PC's in the LZ and waiting for the rest of the round load to land, the "kids" pulled around 4K.... Richmond "the" Boogie 2004 all round load.:)

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I think you nailed it...B|

I was extremely 'Bold' the first 5 years or so in the sport, I kept hearing the "There ARE no Old~Bold skydivers" line, I finally looked around and realized that there WERE no old guys doing the shit I was doing...I made the correlation.

I still sometimes hear that I'm a bit crazy doing 'some' of the things on demos that I do...but in comparison to the ole-dayz, it's really not. :$

Now....I'm just OLD, and that's fine with me! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I would venture that time in sport makes up the "old" part. And since the "tourist" qualifier is only lifted after 10 years, I would venture that to be considered an old skydiver, you should have at least twice that, so 20 years in the sport.

Damm. That makes me old.
Remster

During the SOS and JOS jumps, some of these guys would go scary low.
On the last JOS jump, the base kept going after breakoff and I stayed with them to keep snapping.
They finally broke off well below "the deck."
On the ground, I asked one of them why they went so low and he replied "Because it was a lot of fun and we might not get to do this again."

The oldest boldest skydiver I've ever had the pleasure of jumping with is Bob Sinclair. I got to jump with him about 5 years ago, when I had less than 100 jumps. :)
More about Bob here.

If he doesn't qualify as an old bold skydiver, I'm not sure who does!

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Check.

IF a jumper has had a cutaway On shot & a halves.... then they automatically Qualify...

Check

and If they've deployed a cheapo reserve. without a Pilot chute, by throwing it, "down & in the direction of the spin"..

Check

Sparky
POPs - 2408
SOS - 1024
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/FirstrigElsinore.jpg
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Re : going scary low...

Yikes...
J O S ??? last thing you'd wanna see THERE is a "senior moment"...:|
we would justify such silliness in the years before AADs, by pointing out that we " exited so Low, (7,500 ) that we NEEDED the bottom end.":S;)

to get out,,over 14 grand and Then hold the base til the CameraMan flinches!! :ph34r:
That sure DOES sound like some old timers...!

keep On keepin' ON!!
jmy