aspiringwriter

Is Niagara possible?

aspiringwriter

If I wasn't in Japan, I might, but the idea of getting jump instructions in a language I don't understand well is, well, scary....

Heh heh, is that just an excuse? I've gotten much better at spotting them since I started jumping. I still catch myself making them pretty regularly.

When I tell people I skydive, they almost universally tell me it's on their bucket list. Two of the people who've told me that died in 2013. What that's taught me is it's not a good idea to wait around to have potentially life-changing experiences.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

Heh heh, is that just an excuse? I've gotten much better at spotting them since ...

I don't think aspiringwriter ever said skydiving was on their bucket list, so I don't think we hassle them for not wanting to do a tandem. No excuse is required.

I'm impressed with the amount of research the original poster is putting into this project. If aspiringwrite happen to be near Los Anglese in mid-March it might be worth stopping by Perris on March 14 for the Sisters in Skydiving event. The type of woman that would wingsuit across Niagara Falls would also be at an event like this.

AlanS

***Heh heh, is that just an excuse? I've gotten much better at spotting them since ...

I don't think aspiringwriter ever said skydiving was on their bucket list, so I don't think we hassle them for not wanting to do a tandem. No excuse is required.

I'm impressed with the amount of research the original poster is putting into this project. If aspiringwrite happen to be near Los Anglese in mid-March it might be worth stopping by Perris on March 14 for the Sisters in Skydiving event. The type of woman that would wingsuit across Niagara Falls would also be at an event like this.

True, but I bet if you were chilling and they happened to overhear you were a skydiver, they probably would say something like that! Anywhoo, I don't harass people for not wanting to do tandem jumps. I don't want to do a tandem jump. That's scary as hell! What I harass people for is saying they want to make a tandem jump and then immediately coming up with an excuse to put it off. And I don't actually harass them even then, I just point out that it sounds like an excuse.

When I was doing early jumps, I talked myself out of going to the DZ several times. Initially I didn't realize what I was doing. It's not always easy to realize you're making an excuse. I still talk myself out of making wingsuit jumps on a fairly regular basis. I'd like to at least be honest with myself if I'm going to do that. Otherwise, how would I ever overcome my fear?

So I might come across as a bit in-your-face when it sounds to me like someone's making an excuse, but if they didn't realize they were doing it and are able to be a bit more honest with themselves after I point it out, perhaps that's OK.

One thing's certain, and that's that the skydiving forum definitely has an odd cast of characters.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

If aspiringwrite happen to be near Los Anglese in mid-March it might be worth stopping by Perris on March 14 for the Sisters in Skydiving event. The type of woman that would wingsuit across Niagara Falls would also be at an event like this.

Thanks AlanS! Yes, the type of woman that would do this and lots of other different stunts can be seen most days hanging out at Perris. But he'll have his pick during the SIS event.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Wow, thanks for the continued comments on this, sorry I haven't been back, somehow I quit getting updates and thought the thread had died out. It should soon, you've all been very helpful, and I'm keeping myself busy working on writing this thing out. As soon as the story is in shape, I'll make sure to get some sort of link to it to post up here as a thank you, and I hope that I won't have buggered things up too badly.

Again, thanks to everyone who has commented, this is a very friendly forum you have going here.

-Iain

You are welcome.
We see enough fiction (and hear enough "wannabe" stories) that get the facts so horribly wrong that it's very nice when someone asks "How do I tell this right?"
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo