apday

Skydive Spain - US Skydiver Insurance?

Hey all,

As luck would have it, work is taking me to southern Spain in a few weeks and I'll be finding myself a few miles away from Skydive Spain. I'm thinking about staying through the weekend and jumping, but was curious if anyone had any advice on their insurance policy and how US skydivers have navigated it in the past. Reading on the website, they require "proof of third party liability insurance for skydiving." I've never heard of such a thing. If there's another thread that covers this, apologies -- couldn't find anything searching through the forums.

Also, any suggestions and/or advice regarding the DZ would be awesome!

Thanks for your help!
-Alex

Third Party Liability is insurance that pays if you damage someone/something else. I.e landing on someones car or neck, it would pay to cover their repairs or healthcare.

This insurance is valid for skydives made in accordance with USPA's Basic Safety Requirements and the Federal Aviation Regulations. Most drop zones assure that jumpers have this type of insurance by requiring current USPA membership to jump there. All claims must be brought in the U.S. or Canada. To report a claim, call (866) 585-4590.

So USPA wont cover in spain but it can be bought privately.

thecoolbeans

i just showed my BPA licence when i jumped in Spain a few weeks ago... No probs

are you suggesting that the OP should move to the UK and get a BPA license prior to travelling to Spain ? :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Twist my arm, I'll happily move to London...

As an update for other US skydivers making this trip in the future: I emailed the DZ directly as well and they responded with loads of helpful info. Third party liability insurance is available for relatively cheap (~65 euro) and can be arranged in an hour or so while at the DZ. It lasts a month, so for anyone in the future this may be a great option if you're bouncing around a bit.

Cheers!
-alex

I've never heard of such a thing.

Are you a US resident with a USPA membership? Then you have 3rd party insurance. Whether or not Skydive Spain accepts it is their business tho, or if a specific jump follows the limitation of that insurance.

Really, you should look into what you pay for when getting any membership.
Remster

apday

Third party liability insurance is available for relatively cheap (~65 euro) and can be arranged in an hour or so while at the DZ. It lasts a month, so for anyone in the future this may be a great option if you're bouncing around a bit.

Just wanted to say that 65 euros a month for this sort of insurance is far from cheap. The insurance company is basically printing money.

BMFin

Just wanted to say that 65 euros a month for this sort of insurance is far from cheap. The insurance company is basically printing money.

last time I bought one in Spain, it was around 30€ a month.

In Switzerland we have a temporary one for CHF54 for 3 months

piisfish

***Just wanted to say that 65 euros a month for this sort of insurance is far from cheap. The insurance company is basically printing money.

last time I bought one in Spain, it was around 30€ a month.

In Switzerland we have a temporary one for CHF54 for 3 months

In Finland we get the third party liability insurance (up to 1.000.000€) and some sort of accident health/life insurance (up to 10.000€) as a part of the FAA membership.

FAA membership costs around 70€/year and I would estimate that the proportion that goes to the insurance company is no more than 10€ per member.

I would suppose even then the insurance company is making good profit.

30€ a month for a 3rd party liability insurance is at least 40 times more expensive. If its 65€ a month is ridicilous.

EDIT: BTW. Have you ever heard of anyone who has covered some kind of liability from such an insurance?

BMFin

30€ a month for a 3rd party liability insurance is at least 40 times more expensive. If its 65€ a month is ridicilous.

in Empuriabrava they sell it to you for 85€ :D

piisfish

I Wouldnt be suprised if the DZ is skimming at least half of this.

BMFin

I Wouldnt be suprised if the DZ is skimming at least half of this.

Ask the packers how much they get paid vs how much you pay for a pack job...

I know of somebody hitting a car on landing and damaging the windshield. And I think there was someone else who damaged the ailerons of a parked airplane. I don't know how much they covered, but the skydivers didn't have to pay anything in both cases.
http://www.prostipad.si

apday

Also, any suggestions and/or advice regarding the DZ would be awesome!

If you mean the dz near Seville, it's a great place to jump with fast aircraft that go to 15k, but has a few challenges. We had a very thorough dz brief because the 'off-landing' options are somewhat limited.

Landing is only East-West or West-East (due to significant hazards North and South), depending on wind direction so you can expect cross-wind landings occasionally. The ground is mostly dried earth which is pretty much hard as concrete, so if your landings aren't stunningly good, make sure you know how to PLF and don't be afraid to use it!!
On West-East landings, it's better to land further away and have a slightly longer walk back than be caught out on the downhill slope to the East and end up landing in the ditch. Also, the camera guys, tandems and experienced local jumpers all land at the East end by the check-in point so it can get a bit crowded

Make sure you have the dz office number in your phone before driving over - the gate is sometimes closed and you will need to phone the office to get them to open it remotely unless you get lucky enough to catch up with someone who has a pass going in or out. Even if it's open on your way in, it might not be on your way out!

Have fun :)
A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr