Croc

Should D license requirements be changed?

Okay, but... to get your "D"... lets also ADD:

1) Must perform at least 5 wingsuit jumps.
2) Must perform at least 5 jumps on a canopy loaded at 1.9:1 or more.
Note: 1 & 2 & the Night Jump requirement can be combined, but not recommended.

Been there, done that. What else ya got?:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Been there, done that. What else ya got?

Night water jump, nude on a round, downwind accuracy / hit & chug...after a 12 way head down 19 point sequential...out of six 152's...;)

Did it...only we used Powered Parachutes, and got the FULL 20 points! :P

~ "Pack Fast, Pull Low... and Date Your Riggers WIFE!" ~

LICENSE VS AWARD

It seems the license system is some kind of reward system in the U.S. from what I hear here. I thought the idea of a license system was to improve safety by putting requirements on what you can do at different skill levels. The higher the license you have, the more things you are allowed to do. When you have the B license you are allowed to night jump for example. That's why I think the accuracy requirement is good, maybe the most sensible requirement, it means you can't do demo jumps before you have proven that you can land on target.

The question of whether or not night jumps should be a requirement for D license should focus on what you can do after you get the D license that requires night jumping experience. When you get past the D license you would be deemed experienced enough to decide for yourself what you should and shouldn't do, thus making further license ratings unnecessary. Unless you have a wish to do something that requires a D license there really is no reason for you to get it.

In Sweden where I jump, the reasons for getting a D license is to be able to become an AFF instructor, jump a bird suit, jump without shoes or jump without an AAD. In my opinon, night jumping sounds like one of the more dangerous activities in skydiving, so I think it should require a D license, and should *NOT* be a requirement for anything. However, anyone with the required license rating, should be able to night jump if he/she wishes to. That way everybody are happy, both those who want to, and don't want to night jump.

In my opinon, night jumping sounds like one of the more dangerous activities in skydiving, so I think it should require a D license, and should *NOT* be a requirement for anything.

You should try one before making that recommendation. They're not that dangerous, but they are different. The B requirement is suitable. You don't need 500 jumps to do one.

The D license did lose much of its purpose when the C effectively replaced it.

Really? How so?

Things that used to require a D now require a C/200 jumps. IE, 30k jumps at Davis. AFF is still 6 hours of freefall, isn't it?

In other words, the requirement is 200 jumps, which used to be a D, but now is a C. However, a D license is required to participate in USPA competions, Tandem Rating, Pro Rating, in addition to other ratings.
I'm not clear on how the D license lost "much of it's purpose" when it changed from 200 jumps to 500. If nothing else, didn't it gain purpose?

In my opinon, night jumping sounds like one of the more dangerous activities in skydiving, so I think it should require a D license, and should *NOT* be a requirement for anything.

You should try one before making that recommendation. They're not that dangerous, but they are different. The B requirement is suitable. You don't need 500 jumps to do one.

I have done them and I agree that they should not be a requirement for any license. I agree that there should be a license and skill requirement to do them, but not a requirement for anything. IMO I don't think they make you any better of a skydiver or prove anything other than you can safely skydive in the dark.

I think that a better requirement for your D license woud be a CReW jump, like a 2 stack. That proves that you have a more "advance" concept of how to fly a canopy vs having it fly you, and with all our canopy collisions, and incidents and fatalities, I think it would be good.

Really? How so?

Things that used to require a D now require a C/200 jumps. IE, 30k jumps at Davis. AFF is still 6 hours of freefall, isn't it?

In other words, the requirement is 200 jumps, which used to be a D, but now is a C. However, a D license is required to participate in USPA competions, Tandem Rating, Pro Rating, in addition to other ratings.
I'm not clear on how the D license lost "much of it's purpose" when it changed from 200 jumps to 500. If nothing else, didn't it gain purpose?

INCORRECT. A "C" suffices for all USPA Nationals events, even Open class. Used to be a "D" before the change. Some events (e.g. canopy piloting) need 500 jumps, but not the "D".

All instructor ratings except Tandem can now be obtained with a "C". Didn't used to be like that.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

[
INCORRECT. A "C" suffices for all USPA Nationals events, even Open class. Used to be a "D" before the change. Some events (e.g. canopy piloting) need 500 jumps, but not the "D".

All instructor ratings except Tandem can now be obtained with a "C". Didn't used to be like that.

Then the USPA needs to change the D license exam, and need to change the SIM.

From the SIM

C LICENSE: The third level license issued by USPA. USPA C-license holders may apply when qualified for the USPA AFF, IAD, and Static-Line Instructor ratings, ride as passenger on USPA Tandem Instructor training and rating renewal jumps, and participate in intermediate-altitude jumps and open field and level 1 exhibition jumps.

D LICENSE: The fourth and highest level or license issued by USPA. USPA D-license holders may participate in all competitions at the national level, apply when qualified for all USPA instructional and proficiency ratings, and participate in high-altitude jumps.

[edited to add] the links are to the Glossary in the 2007 SIM. I haven't read the competition manual, as I'm not a competitor. The D license exam also offers the relevant question.
Either way, if the SIM is wrong, so am I.

[

Then they need to change the D license exam, and need to change the SIM.

From the SIM

C LICENSE: The third level license issued by USPA. USPA C-license holders may apply when qualified for the USPA AFF, IAD, and Static-Line Instructor ratings, ride as passenger on USPA Tandem Instructor training and rating renewal jumps, and participate in intermediate-altitude jumps and open field and level 1 exhibition jumps.

D LICENSE: The fourth and highest level or license issued by USPA. USPA D-license holders may participate in all competitions at the national level, apply when qualified for all USPA instructional and proficiency ratings, and participate in high-altitude jumps.

From the SIM on the USPA web site:

4. Persons holding a USPA D license are able to exercise all privileges of a C-license holder, are eligible for all USPA ratings, and must have-

See also page 7 of the USPA Competition Manual which descibes the eligibility requirements.

Also the following RECOMMENDATIONS (not requirements):

2. For high-altitude jumps (20,000-40,000 feet MSL), participants should:

a. hold a USPA C license

b. have made at least one jump from 15,000 feet MSL or below using the same functioning bailout oxygen system

3. For extreme-altitude jumps (40,000 feet MSL and higher), participants should:

a. hold a USPA D license

b. have made at least two jumps from below 35,000 feet MSL using the same functioning bailout oxygen and pressure systems

The only privileges above "C" granted by the current "D" are eligibility for the PRO and Tandem Ratings. So, in essence, it HAS lost a lot of its purpose.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Just for the record I did two night jumps in Flora, Indiana this summer. I no longer have any opinion whether or not they should be a requirement for the D license. I see a trend, however. Considering how difficult it was to find a dropzone willing to have night jumps, I humbly predict that they will go the way of balloon jumps, water jumps and jumping rounds--something offered occasionally and for fun only at boogies.
Flame away.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Well, I'm back to having an opinion on night jumps as a requirement for a D license. I still think the requirement is bullshit. It's like requiring a cross country runner to run in the dark in order to get a letter. No matter that he may hit a tree, fall in a ditch or trip over a stone, even if he is the best runner in the state, he doesn't get a letter until he does it in the dark. A night jump is a fun jump, a kind of a stunt, like a Mr. Bill. I've done several of those. How about we substitute Mr. Bills or some other useless stunt, like landing a stack (done those too) for a night jump?

Oh, I forgot. We have to do night jumps because we might accidentally get on a plane at night. At least with a Mr. Bill you wouldn't have to drive all over the place trying to find a place to do it.:P

Flame away.

"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

You can get a "restricted" D license but you have to show cause why you can't do the night jumps and the Board of USPA has to vote on issuing it. In normal circumstances it's not going to happen. I don't have a problem with the license requirements themselves but I do have difficulty with understanding why the license is tied to the issuing of achievement awards such as Gold Wings and Freefall badges. One doesn't have anything to do with the other and excludes the recognition of achievements of the average fun jumper which oftentimes takes years to achieve.

Night jumps requirement is not that big of a issue.

If you don't want to do them don't do them.

You can easily log it in your log book, and get someone to sign it.

Jumping at night is retarded and taking so much unnecessary risk. I'm not getting in the airplane with bunch of 50 jump wonder, yeeehaaas.

To get A license, don't you have to declare a target and land within x-meters? Which DZ enforces that? They all go, Oh, if you land somewhere in the dropzone safely will give it to you.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016