1 1
sundevil777

Using an Apple watch for a canopy tracker?

This story from Nashville caught my attention:

https://www.idropnews.com/news/police-arrest-man-for-stalking-girlfriend-by-attaching-his-apple-watch-to-her-car/183461/?utm_source=tapp&utm_medium=tapp&utm_campaign=04082022&utm_term=tapp

The use of a smart watch didn't occur to me.  Wouldn't it be a pretty good solution for canopy tracking? It seems like used apple watches are at a competitive price to the newer generation of dog/car/child/whatever trackers out there.  

Edited by sundevil777

I use an Apple AirTag in both my rigs.
Though android offers similar devices, there the handycap is that only people with the specific app installed help track the units. Where with apple, anyone with an IOS product walking 60 meter within a canopy, helps update the location for you.

I dont have it in the Dbag (sewn in) as much for finding it after a cutaway, but more for when its taken/stolen after a cutaway, and (weekly) when traveling on airlines with my rig, seeing where it is.
Ive already once recovered my lost luggage due to the tracker in the rig.

For the 30 dollars an Airtag costs, its well worth having one in your gear as a rig tracker..

(edited)

Dear McCordia,

What are the external dimensions of your Apple AirTag?

"1.26 inches in diameter, similar to a half-dollar coin."

Which rigger sewed on the tracker tag pockets?

Did he/she sew them to the main D-bag?

What about sewing a pocket to a reserve D-bag?

Yes, I know that might infringe on a TSO, but a harness/container manufacturer can easily advise you on where a pocket will least influence reserve deployment. My first guess is at the point where the bridle meets the free-D-bag.

Edited by riggerrob
add a sentence

2 hours ago, riggerrob said:

Dear McCordia,

What are the external dimensions of your Apple AirTag?

"1.26 inches in diameter, similar to a half-dollar coin."

Which rigger sewed on the tracker tag pockets?

Did he/she sew them to the main D-bag?

Yes, I know that might infringe on a TSO, but a harness/container manufacturer can easily advise you on where a pocket will least influence reserve deployment. My first guess is at the point where the bridle meets the free-D-bag.

Hi Rob,

That is my first guess also.  IMO that is the least likely location to cause any problem; virtually none.

Jerry Baumchen

No matter what the price of a potentially lost reserve D-Bag is, but it can not be worth potentially complicating the function of the reserve deployment by adding additional sewing/volume and edges that could snag a line.

On the main Dbag, there are plenty of places where (even non permanent) a tag can be added without complication on inside or outside. But I would strongly advise to not to add anything to the reserve Dbag, as there is no real reason to do so..

When we did testing for the RI MOJO, every jump was an opportunity to lose the prototype device sewn to the reserve bridle.  I added a pocket for a Tile, and it came in handy a couple times.  No effect on packing or deployment.  Of course, on a production freebag/bridle, this would be an alteration requiring FAA or manufacturer approval.

06FE865D-F6ED-45EB-A7FA-0708C155A60A_1_105_c.jpeg

67542F64-9019-4656-BCBD-423801910787_1_105_c.jpeg

06A6DD64-1EB1-484A-9256-0A7E20284547_1_105_c.jpeg

3045C705-EC6C-4FDB-82E5-A347BF339B3F_1_105_c.jpeg

A35FC701-EC5D-4EBB-BACD-66C70E4573CC_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

On a related note, why do a few D-bags have those triangular "aprons" but not all?

It looks like an apron would help open container flaps and stabilize the D-bag as it lifts off your back.

Hi Rob,

Based only upon my having made both types; the non-apron is easier to build & only takes on piece of fabric.  The 'apron' bag takes two pieces of fabric.

IMO there are plusses & minuses to both types; although I prefer the 'apron' type as a builder.

Jerry Baumchen

On 7/2/2022 at 12:49 PM, riggerrob said:

It looks like an apron would help open container flaps and stabilize the D-bag as it lifts off your back.

I can't remember what rig, but I have seen a manual where it is called an "anti-twist flap". Possible the latest Wings manual.