stayhigh

Those who jump without an AAD. Are you okay with dying?

Your poll has too many words in it. Also, it's reductio ad absurdum.

"Those who jump. Are you OK with dying?"

An AAD is not going to prevent you from dying. It's not even going to dramatically reduce your chances of dying. No-pulls are nowhere near the biggest risk skydivers face.

FWIW, I have an AAD, I think everybody should, and I'm not OK with dying - I just think this thread is ridiculous.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

>And those who say, "Oh, we do not like to pick up after your scattered remains." that's
>complete BS.

No, it's not. I won't describe the things that I (and other jumpers) have picked up, nor detail what it's like to deal with the aftermath. Suffice to say you are entirely incorrect.

stayhigh

that's because you choose to go out there.

you made that decision on your own.

no one made you go out there and pick up pieces of wrist watch.

Yup. If you're a cop, expect to deal with gross naked people you have to search. If you're a paramedic, expect to deal with motorcycle crashes. If you're a skydiver, expect to deal with high speed earth impacts. If you have kids, expect to lose sleep while they're up in the middle night crying and shitting.

Every decision has consequences.
cavete terrae.

When Shingdig went in, the loads went on and on, as his body laid out there for 4-5 hours in over 100+ heat.

Tandems made their jump, fun jumpers continued to jump, all the way to sunset.

Only one skydiver was out there picking up his scattered stuff, and he choose to do that.

No one has to pick up the dead body besides the county coroners, and it is their job, and they are good at it.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

grue

***that's because you choose to go out there.

Yup. If you're a cop, expect to deal with gross naked people you have to search. If you're a paramedic, expect to deal with motorcycle crashes. If you're a skydiver, expect to deal with high speed earth impacts. If you have kids, expect to lose sleep while they're up in the middle night crying and shitting.

Um...as a cop I also have to pick up pieces of people sometimes. And deal with motorcycle crashes. Sometimes those are the same call....
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

Are you okay with dying?

It does not matter. Life is nothing but choices except for the one thing we ALL have to do...die.

Kids? Yes...adult now
Pets? Yes
Financially Struggling? impolite question but ...NO.
Secret death wish? If I told you it would no longer be a secret would it?

What factor made you jump out of airplane knowing that if you do not pull you will die 100%

Such a factor as you contend was never a consideration.

Is skydiving more fun that way?

Refer to the previous question.

Ultimate rush comes only by taking the ultimate risk?

Once again, never a consideration.

Whatever my COD is, I'm just as dead right? I have an AAD AND and RSL. i have a lot more jumps to make,simply because I enjoy the sport and the people at the DZ. Skydiving is a wonderful community to be a part of. But to take it one more step, it's also one of the last vestiges of freedom, which means the freedom to have or not have and AAD and/or an RSL configured on your rig. You're choice, your call, your life, and yes your death. The same applies to me.

mcordell

******that's because you choose to go out there.

Um...as a cop I also have to pick up pieces of people sometimes. And deal with motorcycle crashes. Sometimes those are the same call....

Yes, that's part of your job. If you don't want to deal with those things you can work security at Best Buy. If you're a skydiver and expect other people to change to keep your feelings from being hurt, the problem isn't the other people.
cavete terrae.

grue

Yes, that's part of your job. If you don't want to deal with those things you can work security at Best Buy. If you're a skydiver and expect other people to change to keep your feelings from being hurt, the problem isn't the other people.

touche'.

stayhigh

Do you have family to look after?

Kids?

Pets?

Are you financially struggling?

Secret death wish?

What factor made you jump out of airplane knowing that if you do not pull you will die 100%

Is skydiving more fun that way?

Ultimate rush comes only by taking the ultimate risk?

I for one, think that skydiving without an AAD is the "REAL" skydiving. Knowing that it can possibly kill me makes it fun, giving the ultimate high.

Am I hell bent on killing myself? Absolutely not. Every time when I throw my PC that is an act of self perseverance. Every time when I track away that is an act of survival. Checking my gear thoroughly, keeping up with maintenance, wearing sit belt to the dz when I drive, those are an act of survival.

You can wear condom all day long but that doesn't make "REAL" sex. You can't make babies that way.

Hi "High!!,"
Who you tryn' to kid???? Back in the day, we wouldn't let you on an R/W load if'in ya' had one of those "Black Boxes!!" 'Nothin worse than bein' in the middle of a great R/W load and this jerkoff's Black Box shoots off spittin' pilot chutes in everybody's faces!! That was then. 'Didn't bother us to "Not" have one!! Really though, we all did!!! "IT WAS THE ONE BETWEEN OUR EARS!!!!!!!" It's about your "Mind Set!!!" I didn't have a "Black Box." or a "RSL" or what ever!! In spite of "Not Having" these things we had to rely on our "Brain" and we did!!! 'Don't know if Bob Sinclair ever jumped with an AAD, but I do remember at Old Elsinore when everybody on the DC-3 had a "Ram Air" Parachute on except Bob and somebody asked him why he was still jumping "That Round??" He said, I'll get a square when I can't spot anymore!! He eventually got a square but it wasn't because he couldn't Spot!! Speaking of spotting?? So the GPS goes out!! Heaven forbid!, 'Think you can go to the door, look down from 14K and "Spot the load??" "5RIGHT AND CUT!!!!!!!"
As R.L. Tycer would say to people who would obviously be behind the power curve,
"Knowledge is Power,......you dumb ass!!!!"
And then there was Carlos Gene.
BSBD,
III%,
skybill-out
PS I really liked the old Snyder AAD with the 2 wires on the altimeter and the on off switch, ya' turned it on above a grand (where the wires would complete the circuit, and turn it off under canoy!!) Ya' had to use ye noggin!! None of this click it and ferget it!! Ya' could use one of those on a R/W load because it didn't have that "Back up" that would malfunction!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

More skydivers die from canopy collisions with a working AAD than no pulls these days. Jumping without an AAD isnt a death wish although jumping with someone dumb enough to wait on theirs might be. Lots of them out there waiting on their dyter and AAD. Too scared to skydive without an altimeter and a buzzer....??????

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

douwanto

More skydivers die from canopy collisions with a working AAD than no pulls these days. Jumping without an AAD isnt a death wish although jumping with someone dumb enough to wait on theirs might be. Lots of them out there waiting on their dyter and AAD. Too scared to skydive without an altimeter and a buzzer....??????

The reason this is true is that almost all jumpers have AADs. That makes a pretty strong case for them, not against them.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

"The reason this is true is that almost all jumpers have AADs. That makes a pretty strong case for them, not against them."

How about a broader informal poll? Everyone who is really curious about the percentage of jumpers not using AADs can simply ask around at their home DZs in the coming weeks. You might be surprised at how many people don't jump w/one. I know I was when I first started jumping without one. I'd thought I might be the only one on the DZ jumping naked. That turned out not being close to true.

I pack nearly every reserve at my small home DZ. I would say the current ratio here is about 20:1. And those who don't are not frequent jumpers.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

I pack nearly every reserve at my small home DZ. I would say the current ratio here is about 20:1. And those who don't are not frequent jumpers.

OK, that's one small DZ. I know of five jumpers at my main DZ who don't have AADs. Granted, it's a large-ish DZ, but there are probably more that I don't know about. I really don't care to ask. It's none of my business whether or not someone has one tucked in their rig. It just seems that some people here think not having an AAD is pure heresy. Lotsa old dawgs have thousands of jumps without them, & are still w/us.

I only recently added one to my main rig myself. And mostly because I became a dealer. I jump fairly regularly with other rigs that don't have one. So that would bump down the ratio a little.

But just yesterday, when I did so, it bothered me just a little that I did not have one. I think it's a habit. Once you get used to having one you feel just a little naked without it. Same thing when I pack a reserve without one. It just feels a little wrong. It's been a long time since I've seen a newer jumper go without one. And he was the most broke ass skydiver I ever met. He femured badly last year and is not back yet.

"Once you get used to having one you feel just a little naked without it."

Arrg... No time this morning to find that Robbin Williams clip on Youtube: Say Hello to Mr.Happy!! Where he's dancing around bare-butt, waving at everyone :P.

New jumpers nowadays are indoctrinated to think they have to have one. There's a percentage of us that don't agree. There's a smaller percentage of those who took the time to reply to these threads. I suspect that USPA wouldn't want to add the question to their renewal form, as they wouldn't like the answer.

Now, if you'll excuse me. It's time to go wave Mr.Happy :P.

I have my own reasons for not having an AAD. One (minor) reason is that $1500 times 5 rigs is a little expensive.

Due to USPA's raising or the Min. Opening Altitude, I'm currently reassessing my decision. Whatever I decide, I'm comfortable that I've made that decision based on my own experience, knowledge, research, and ability. Thank you for giving me the right to make this decision on my own. B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."