Anachronist

Fluid Wings

Cool video released by the new canopy company in DeLand. Fluid Wings Was going to write up a review but there was no option for them on the DZ gear page.

I've demo'd two sizes of their Prime and am primarily wingsuiting a 170, WL 1.5. I've been really happy with it so far, it's in the same category as the Pulse and Pilot (both of which I've owned and really enjoyed flying) but with what feels like a little more "oomph." Snivels somewhere between the Pulse and Pilot and flies a little faster than either, the extra speed seems to give the flare a little more kick too. Haven't had the chance to fly side by side with a Pulse or Pilot at a similar wing loading to compare glide but I do get great penetration into strong winds, and c'mon, who doesn't like great penetration?

I'm not a swooper so I haven't jumped their sub 100 square foot stuff, just btw.

Oh, wow, it's weird to see Scott Roberts after not seeing him for at least 10 years.
He used to jump here at MHS.
He is a degreed engineer.
Good to see him putting it to good use!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The openings on their canopies look pretty nice. I want a skydiving canopy I can catch thermals on and go flying off cross country for half an hour or so. Maybe I should try to get them to cough up a prototype for me!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I have got to say that it's really nice to see that the knowledge gained from paragliding and the new generation of skydiving wings is starting to make its way towards more main stream canopies.

Some would probably disagree, but isn't it amazing that so little has happened over the last two decades that a parachute designed in the early nineties is still one of the most efficient flying machines we jump?

Snowcrash

I have got to say that it's really nice to see that the knowledge gained from paragliding and the new generation of skydiving wings is starting to make its way towards more main stream canopies.

Some would probably disagree, but isn't it amazing that so little has happened over the last two decades that a parachute designed in the early nineties is still one of the most efficient flying machines we jump?

Heh, I borrowed a F111 Raider 2 made in 1990 for a dozen or so jumps. The improvements made since then might not be major ones, but they are definitely noticeable improvements!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

***I have got to say that it's really nice to see that the knowledge gained from paragliding and the new generation of skydiving wings is starting to make its way towards more main stream canopies.

Heh, I borrowed a F111 Raider 2 made in 1990 for a dozen or so jumps. The improvements made since then might not be major ones, but they are definitely noticeable improvements!

Didn't have much of a flair I'm guessing? On the other hand I just got my hands on Stiletto 135 Serial no. 020, that came out of DeLand, FL in 1993. Granted, this particular one hasn't seen many jumps, but I'm willing to bet it would outglide most everything made today.

Snowcrash

Didn't have much of a flair I'm guessing? On the other hand I just got my hands on Stiletto 135 Serial no. 020, that came out of DeLand, FL in 1993. Granted, this particular one hasn't seen many jumps, but I'm willing to bet it would outglide most everything made today.

No flare at all. I never did stand a landing up on the damn thing, usually ended up sliding in on my heels. It also steered rather like a cow. The openings were never terribly hard but they were snappy -- the previous guy had sewn a pocket into the slider. Flying it did give me a new appreciation for my Safire 2, though!

I've suggested that my friend donate the canopy to Mile Hi. They could slap it in a rig and make it the "Mile Hi Challenge Rig!" Maybe let people jump it after 200 skydives. It did do a good job of getting me on the ground and will definitely make you appreciate whatever else you're flying.

So I just spent two weeks flying a friend's Pulse 150 at 1.25 waiting for my Prime 150 to ship. Prior to that every parachute I've ever flown save for demos has been a Pilot.

For the parachute:
I'd say in most every regard the factory new Prime outflies a Pulse in the middle of its lifespan. The flare is more powerful and lasts deeper into the stall. You can surf it further (I surprised myself and got a close to a beer line.). As far as I can discern it has basically the same recovery arc but somehow is easier on fronts. Obviously it is much easier on fronts than the Pilot. The openings have been brisk, but never hard, staged, and always on heading. I prefer these to the longer and sometimes searchy openings of the Pilot. My slider has stuck a couple times, but I've been told that's due to having new HMA lines and that it will pass with time. And since I got the low-bulk ZP, it packs like something between 120 and 135.

For the company:
The customer service has been stellar. I have a background in aerospace engineering, and thought it was really cool to talk to the guy (Scott) who designed and analyzed the thing. During the build they kept me abreast of the progress (e.g. everything is cut now, I-beams are complete, we're lining it today...) and answered all kinds of questions.

I really hope these guys can get their business off the ground!