jeffrey27rj

leg strap pain

Hey guys....I'm new here and do a search on this topic and found a few threads but they were all from like 2008. Just wanted to see if there were any new thoughts out there.

I'm 6'0 220 lbs and using the student gear (on jump 15). I'm getting a ton of pain from being under canopy high on my groin (no, not because the boys are getting smashed). Under canopy, my legs are spread really wide apart and it's hard to bring them together and the leg straps are causing a lot of pain on the inner groin/high thigh area. I included a zoomed in picture my girlfriend took of my position under canopy.

Any suggestions on what is causing so much pain? Do I need to be putting the straps in a different position, are they too tight, too loose? Is it just that I can't expect this stuff to fit me too well? Any remedies outside of biker shorts or seat belt cushions?

Thanks for the feedback!
*If you fail to plan, you plan to fail*
*It's not flair, it's flare*
*Please use "your" and "you're" responsibly*

The joke about student gear is 'one-size-fits noone'.... :(

Unfortunately all student gear I've used is pretty uncomfortable.

The best advice I can give is this:

When gearing up make sure the legstraps are all the way up your legs. Really make sure of that.

Next, make sure they're well tightened. They shouldn't be cutting off circulation, but you don't want to be able to slip fingers between the straps and your legs. There should be a little range of motion if you sit down with them tightened - if there isn't, it's overly tight.

Next, after deployment, do your canopy checks and have a look for traffic, then take hold of the risers on each side before they split and do a little pull-up (just to take pressure off the legstraps, not a full 'haul yourself up' thing) and then wiggle your butt. As you're doing that you should be able to cross your feet easier and the legstraps should come a little way down. (Only about an inch)
Do not go crazy and try to get the legstraps far down your legs.

That position will hopefully be a bit comfier for you.

Remember though - comfort is secondary to safety. Make sure you're in clear airspace and have done what the jump requires (including planning your landing) before getting comfy. Don't fuck around with stuff like this below your hard deck. Priorities are important to remember. :)

Once you get off student gear it'll be a whole other world. :)

May I make one more suggestion?
Ask your local instructor how to check leg strap fit during your "last chance check."
About 5 minutes before exit, you should be patting all your handles and buckles and fine-tuning the fit on your goggles. Now is a good time to double check that your leg straps are still riding high in your crotch.

Your jumping gear that's not built for you and your new to jumping. I remember having bruises on my inner thighs when I first started. I was jumping Dolphin containers and they really weren't built for comfort. If and when you get your own sport rig it shouldn't be a problem. If it is then you have bigger issues.

Hi,

Once you are off student gear, even used equipment is usually more comfortable.

Try the padded biking shorts. You can get them with butt and thigh padding. A bit goofy, but will spare your thighs and Man bits at the end of the day.

They are also good for preventing the dreaded "nut under." Prevention is key, because once you have one, you will automatically regret all of your life choices.

Mirage has a "wide saddle" option for leg pads, and they are dreamy. Something to think about when you are looking to buy gear.
"I love when humans fly,"

I actually found rental gear to be much more comfortable due to the amount of use vs when I first got my new gear which was quite stiff for awhile. It helps in comfort if you twist the pad part between your legs out toward your hip before cinching it down.

Leg ad width is very much a personal choice. I have skinny thighs (long distance runner) s prefer narrow leg pads. I still have the original rolled-edge pads on my 1997 Talon, because they are comfortable on my skinny ass. With a well-fitted harness, I don't even need leg pads ... just ask the army.
Hah!
Hah!
OTOH, I hate the extra-wide leg pads installed on Vector 2 Tandems because they scratch my scrotum.

Mirage has a "wide saddle" option for leg pads

For the OP, some other mfgs have such options, it isn't just the Mirage.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

thank you all for the advice. I guess I just have to get through this student gear and in the meantime try to remedy as much as possible with extra padding however i can find it. My upper legs are pretty big so that's probably what's causing a lot of this and when I can get something that fits me better, hopefully that will take care of it all. Gives me motivation to get that A license and get cheaper jumps plus better fitting gear!
*If you fail to plan, you plan to fail*
*It's not flair, it's flare*
*Please use "your" and "you're" responsibly*