welshKat

Any Oman skydivers here?

Hey!
Are there any skydivers from Oman here? I heard of one or two guys that go to Umm Al Quwain to jump; I'll be in Muscat from November (probably for a couple of months) and would love to hear from anyone in Oman who skydives & is up for trips to the UAE!

Kat x

Kat,

I not long returned from a 10 year spell in the Middle East.

Yes, Umm Alquwayn is your best bet. Their Caravan was badle damaged not long ago but they're expecting a King Air from Sth Africa to arrive any time now.

In the meantime they have a 182 hauling jumpers to 10 grand. But it's pretty hot this time of the year - so things will improve upon the arrival of the Kingair, when 12 or 13 grand gets to the cooler weather so much quicker.

They have a 120 way comp coming up shortly, with a boogie running parallel.

Also February is the traditional boogie time when pete Marsden organises jumpers to fly in from UK and europe. Always a fun week with exotic aircraft to play with.

At the end of the runway, by the ocean is the Baracuda hotel - I always stayed in one of the Cabanas, self catering and cheap - but not 5 star. At least they have a bottle shop there - and passable food - so you don't have to go too far from the DZ if you just want to jump, jump, jump and have a few beers.

Email me and I'll give you a number of contacts there.

Blue Skies, fergbird B|

We have a few civilians here in Kuwait that are planning to go over there as well. I think they too are waiting until it cools down a bit. They have a web site (UAQ Aeroclub) but I'm sure you've already found that!B|

Katie

The local jumpers have a forum site also - but sadly it isn't used too much these days. I din't know how to do the clicky thing - but cut and paste the following and enter as a guest to get an idea as to how things are there:

http://login.prospero.com/dir-login/index.asp?webtag=skydiveuaq&lgnDST=http%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Edelphiforums%2Ecom%2Fskydiveuaq%2Fstart

If you are in Kuwait, you'll have an understanding that not all happens in the muiddle East with the efficiency of europe, the US, etc. So you'll appreciate that the good old Murphy Factor is hard at work in the area.

That being said, there's some keen jumpers at UAQ and they make it happen as much as circumstances allow.

So enjoy your time in the Middle East and have fun when you eventually make it to UAQ.

fergbird;)

[url "http://login.prospero.com/dir-login/index.asp?webtag=skydiveuaq&lgnDST=http%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Edelphiforums%2Ecom%2Fskydiveuaq%2Fstart"] clicky attempt

I live in Muscat now and there's not a single dropzone. I wonder what happen to the dropzone that people talked about in 2003. Does anyone have any idea? I would like to know what happened. Is it an issue with government and regulations or something else? I can't believe there's no demand for skydiving in this country.

StepInRace

I live in Muscat now and there's not a single dropzone. I wonder what happen to the dropzone that people talked about in 2003. Does anyone have any idea?

I take my words back, I believe those people were talking about a dropzone that is north from Dubai so there was never a dropzone in Oman. Anyways the question is still opened and I want to find out if someone know a reason behind it.