JWest

Skydiving age and discipline.

NWFlyer

Of course, as you spend more time in the sport, and have that baseline of skills in one discipline it's easier to maintain that when you explore other things. But the new(er) jumper who flits from zoo dive to zoo dive in various disciplines never has a chance to get very good at anything.

I'm more speaking to agreement with your comment here than anything else. I don't want to spend too much time even commenting on 'part timers' or 'short timers'.
Or even low currency jumpers - that's a totally different discussion and you make the obvious point there quite well.

I'm a big fan of trying to be excellent (focus) in one discipline, and being decent in several others. I'll leave the zoo-divers to their own fun - nothing wrong with that, but it's not for me.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

JWest

Please select your age and the discipline you currently participate in most. Comment any information you feel is relevant.

Hi Janet. I noticed you aren't posting every other post like usual, so I'm thinking this must be another social experiment, as you put it......:S

The purpose of this thread is to investigate the age groups and disciplines that are most represented on this forum.

Life is short ... jump often.

I noticed you modified my response. You can not get proper info without combination questions, as stated by others. ie : 20 to 30 doing accuracy or 40 to 50 doing XRW. Both of which are of course relevant and pursued by those age groups Janet.
Life is short ... jump often.

rehmwa

***I think the general trend is 'older' jumpers tend towards Rel and younger towards Freefly

I think that old trend is nonsense and not applicable any more.

seems to be a thread just to validate certain people's stereotypes

frankly, I'm a bit sad for people that restrict themselves to just one or two disciplines in this hobby.

As I said initially a generalisation. I'm 40 and am one of the younger rw jumpers in my state.

I don't have the budget to do more than one discipline. I'm quite happy watching the amazing talent the VFS guys have.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

yoink

Your data set is skewed by your initial bias and the construction of your questionnaire.

I know a load of people who would categorize the instructing they do as fun jumping. I also think you're wrong about video falling into one of the other categories, but given your stance on cameras there's no surprise you've got that wrong too.

What are you trying to prove? What question are you trying to get an answer to?

People can get proper info from this. I can tell the most dominate age group and the most dominate discipline. I was not intending to find the most dominate age group in each discipline. I could do another one of those later because it seems like people are interested in it.

I can easily be wrong but the way I look at it, filming RW means you are part of an RW jump. Filming FF or VFS you are part of a FF jump. Filming CRW you are part of a CRW Jump. Yes Camera flying it it's own discipline but filming RW doesn't mean you can film FF. I'm interested in the type of jumps being carried out not whether or not they are filmed.

JWest

People can get proper info from this. I can tell the most dominate age group and the most dominate discipline. I was not intending to find the most dominate age group in each discipline. I could do another one of those later because it seems like people are interested in it.

DominANT. DominANT. Jeez!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

DominANT. DominANT. Jeez!

Yeah... I suck.