JWest

Skydiving age and discipline.

Please select your age and the discipline you currently participate in most. Comment any information you feel is relevant.

The purpose of this thread is to investigate the age groups and disciplines that are most represented on this forum.

Yeah, there aren't tandem and instructional options, and it might be difficult to correlate ages to disciplines. That's just the nature of the dz.com poll, where you don't have any sort of conditional logic available for sequential questions.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

your options are wrong
you need to have age and discipline as an option
20 -25 FS
20 - 25 FF etc....

FWIW 50s and freeflier
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

JohnnyMarko

I clicked all the options. Cause if this is like your camera thread, a social experiment, then it really doesn't fucking matter.

Not an experiment. I want information and even bolded and underlined the purpose of the thread so no one would be confused.

I thought about doing each age and discipline but it would have been 63 choices. This will suffice.

Squeak

your options are wrong
you need to have age and discipline as an option
20 -25 FS
20 - 25 FF etc....

FWIW 50s and freeflier

I think the general trend is 'older' jumpers tend towards Rel and younger towards Freefly and then bloody old accuracy!

Obviously there are exceptions and I have friends in their early 20s who do rel and Squeak representing the middle aged crowd in freefly:)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

JWest

Please select your age and the discipline you currently participate in most. Comment any information you feel is relevant.

">55" is too large of a category.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

sammielu

What about VFS and (team) training/competition jumps?

FWIW, 34, Instructor most of the time, then FS and CRW when I'm not working.

I left out video, VFS, and team training/competition jumps fall into one of the main categories. I didn't put instructor because I wanted to know about fun jumps and I assume there are many who mostly huck tandems all day.

Your data set is skewed by your initial bias and the construction of your questionnaire.

I know a load of people who would categorize the instructing they do as fun jumping. I also think you're wrong about video falling into one of the other categories, but given your stance on cameras there's no surprise you've got that wrong too.

What are you trying to prove? What question are you trying to get an answer to?

nigel99

I think the general trend is 'older' jumpers tend towards Rel and younger towards Freefly

I think that old trend is nonsense and not applicable any more.

seems to be a thread just to validate certain people's stereotypes

frankly, I'm a bit sad for people that restrict themselves to just one or two disciplines in this hobby.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

I'm a bit sad for people that restrict themselves to just one or two disciplines in this hobby.

Even more sad when you see students start pigeonholing themselves before they've even got a license. 'I'm going to be a freeflyer!' [:/]

frankly, I'm a bit sad for people that restrict themselves to just one or two disciplines in this hobby.

I don't want to start sucking all over again. That IS sad.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

yoink

***I'm a bit sad for people that restrict themselves to just one or two disciplines in this hobby.

Even more sad when you see students start pigeonholing themselves before they've even got a license. 'I'm going to be a freeflyer!' [:/]

One person's pigeonholing is another person's focus. Leaving aside the rush to freefly without being able to fly and dock stable on their belly, there's some advantages to picking one thing and focusing on it, at least for a while. If you're someone who's never going to jump more than 100 times a year (which, though I don't have hard numbers to back it up, is my gut instinct of what the "average" weekend jumper does), flitting around through a bunch of disciplines means you're not going to build skills in any one of them. 100 jumps a year in a single discipline is probably just enough to make slow progress, but 25 jumps a year in four disciplines will keep things pretty stagnant for most people. If the desire is to progress your skills, "pigeonholing" can be a good thing.

Of course, as you spend more time in the sport, and have that baseline of skills in one discipline it's easier to maintain that when you explore other things. But the new(er) jumper who flits from zoo dive to zoo dive in various disciplines never has a chance to get very good at anything.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I don't disagree with that. Just that picking a discipline to focus on before you know anything about it, or its alternatives is a little backward. For me, that's what the B license is - try everything! Have fun and make friends in all disciplines. Then pick one to focus on...