airdvr

Killer Wind Power

(edited)
1 hour ago, billeisele said:

Do you normally take a specifically stated set of parameters and alter it to create an argument?

The post was clearly talking about vehicles of the same SIZE. But thanks for letting us know that a F450 would squash a Miata, a fact that no one, except you, could have possibly known.

Oh right, it’s a good thing that out in the real world you only ever get hit by the same size vehicle as you drive. Thanks for pointing out those very relevant parameters.

Both the outrageous size and aesthetic design choices of modern pickup trucks make them far more dangerous than a car of any size. If very heavy luxury electric sedans become cool enough to take some sales away from the vast numbers of trendy trucks out there then the roads (and even driveways) will only become safer as a result.

https://slate.com/business/2022/02/suvs-pickups-heavy-huge-deadly-dont-buy-em.html

Edited by jakee

7 minutes ago, billeisele said:

They have done a ton of work to lighten the trucks and improve the engines to hep met CAFE standards. My 2012 gets 18 mpg with the V-6 eco boost engine. The GMC 1500 with the V-8 gets 12-13, with the 3.0 diesel it gets 26-29.

Jesus I hope none of you ever complain about gas prices. I’ve got a petrol powered estate car big enough to camp in the back of and I get over 50

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jakee said:

Jesus I hope none of you ever complain about gas prices. I’ve got a petrol powered estate car big enough to camp in the back of and I get over 50

But does it do 0 to 60 in 3 seconds and top out at 130mph+. if not most americans wont want it. but theyll still bitch about the gas prices.

5 hours ago, Stumpy said:

Since when has anyone ever cared about that?

I do get a kick out of the conservative take on this.

Before EV's - All I know is that the heavier vehicle is going to 'win' in a crash.  So I'm going to get that Ford Excursion - for safety.  My family comes first!

Today - EV's are a lot heavier and will do more damage.  That's a bad thing!

Cool first -

For the first time ever, wind generated the second most amount of electrical power of all sources in the US over the course of the day.  On Tues Mar 29, wind generated over 2000 gigawatt-hours of energy, more than nuclear, coal or hydro.  It was second only to natural gas, which generated 3270 gigawatt-hours.  It's the equivalent of about 40 large nuclear power plants generating energy.

Further, it tends to generate the most from about 4pm to midnight, the high-peak-load time when solar is dropping off - making it a useful peaking power source as well.  Land based turbines tend to peak around 10pm to midnight; off shore turbines tend to peak around 5-7pm.

https://news.yahoo.com/in-a-first-wind-power-is-second-leading-us-source-of-electricity-in-one-day-220541187.html

13 minutes ago, billvon said:

Cool first -

For the first time ever, wind generated the second most amount of electrical power of all sources in the US over the course of the day.  On Tues Mar 29, wind generated over 2000 gigawatt-hours of energy, more than nuclear, coal or hydro.  It was second only to natural gas, which generated 3270 gigawatt-hours.  It's the equivalent of about 40 large nuclear power plants generating energy.

Further, it tends to generate the most from about 4pm to midnight, the high-peak-load time when solar is dropping off - making it a useful peaking power source as well.  Land based turbines tend to peak around 10pm to midnight; off shore turbines tend to peak around 5-7pm.

https://news.yahoo.com/in-a-first-wind-power-is-second-leading-us-source-of-electricity-in-one-day-220541187.html

That blows.