1 1
kleggo

Peregrine Falkyn harness / container

I was listening to the Fucking Pilot podcast last night and heard an interesting interview with Peregrine's David Singer.

It seems he takes a forward thinking take on design / engineering. First time I've heard a skydive gear designer extolling the virtues of Solid Works.

His methods speak to my engineering mind set.

Take a look @ time point 40.00 in this video to see their solution to closing a main container.

The video is very long, too long for me to watch at one sitting, but I'll keep working my way through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW9_hx4-NIU&t=2612s

Peregrine's web site

https://peregrinemfginc.com/

I really liked hearing his thoughts on joining nylon via ultrasonic welding rather than stitching them together.

THAT would make a difference in parachute pack volume!

Anyone here jump one?

On 4/1/2022 at 11:42 AM, kleggo said:

I really liked hearing his thoughts on joining nylon via ultrasonic welding rather than stitching them together.

THAT would make a difference in parachute pack volume!

It has been tried on a canopy. Turned out it was impossible to pack.Kinda makes sense if you think about it a little.

On 4/14/2022 at 3:38 PM, padalcek said:

It has been tried on a canopy. Turned out it was impossible to pack.Kinda makes sense if you think about it a little.

Hmm, about 1999 or 2001, someone displayed a welded seam canopy at the PIA symposium. AFAIK is never made it to market and of course no other has. I don't believe the fabric was nylon.  I remember the look of the booth but not who it was. 

4 hours ago, councilman24 said:

Hmm, about 1999 or 2001, someone displayed a welded seam canopy at the PIA symposium. AFAIK is never made it to market and of course no other has. I don't believe the fabric was nylon.  I remember the look of the booth but not who it was. 

Atair?  If so, the seams were sewn, but the fabric was an impermeable composite.  The fabric was cut to size after being manufactured in sheets.  The intriguing idea was that the fabric could be laid up with reinforcing strands imbedded so reinforcing tapes wouldn't have to be added later, although this would require custom lay-ups for each panel.  Very hard to pack, since the sewing perforations were the only way for the air to escape.  

On 4/17/2022 at 6:18 AM, mark said:

Atair?  If so, the seams were sewn, but the fabric was an impermeable composite.  The fabric was cut to size after being manufactured in sheets.  The intriguing idea was that the fabric could be laid up with reinforcing strands imbedded so reinforcing tapes wouldn't have to be added later, although this would require custom lay-ups for each panel.  Very hard to pack, since the sewing perforations were the only way for the air to escape.  

No it wasn't the Atair your posted about.

Atair did do a research and development program with the University of Alberta (?) about custom, non-woven ribs. Instead of traditional load-bearing tapes sewn to a fabric matrix, they laid individual threads along load lines. This sort of construction is used on composite, competition sails, (see America's Cup competition) but is prohibitively expensive for mass-consumption. It allows them to construct sails with molded-in 3D curvature for best possible airflow. They start with huge, 3D plugs, lay threads in successive layers, then bond/glue them all together. None of those wealthy yacht owners seem to care if a set of sails lasts more than one or two seasons.

I purchased a Falcon from Dave.  Over the years I have had many glides and Microns, and when this rig came out I liked some of the features it had to offer.  

Regarding the price, well it's economics of scale.  If you want to have choices in this industry, manufactures have to start small.  Small companies can not offer the same price as a UPT, because they are not buying materials in bulk, and are not turning the numbers ect............  

So I like the Falcon, it's new, and at the end of the day it's really not that much more than my Micron's......  

7 hours ago, kleggo said:

Thanks for keeping this thread alive.  

rjklein, what do you think of the solution they use instead of flap grommets?

Anything else you've found that you love / hate?

I like the D rings instead of the flap grommets, other companies have been using them so it's been tested.

It's nice that the rig has been designed from a clean sheet of paper, ground up.  I feel like there are some very nice features, and the ACE system has saved my ass once and worked very fast, on heading in a nasty spinning mal.

Since there's not a lot of photos out there I'll add the embroidery to this thread. 

The colourful version are the test representation of colour per needle from Peregrine. The green ones are some of my designs using Photoshop. 

Screenshot_20221226-202912__01.jpg

received_2072834112917630.jpg

received_600847741848618.jpg

received_460385382929034__01.jpg

Screenshot_20221222-073145__01.jpg

Screenshot_20221226-203744.jpg

Edited by tabouare
Photo not showing

3 hours ago, rjklein4470 said:

Not sure what you are talking about. These were the pictures I took before I jumped it.  Dave’s riggers packed it at the factory. So can you be more specific?  

Hi 4470,

Re:  I believe that it is supposed to be semi-exposed.

I have to say:  My mistake.

All of Dave's earlier products use a semi-exposed RPC, such as Sunpath's Javelin; where Dave worked for many, many yrs before going on his own.

Enjoy your rig & forget my Senior Moment.

Jerry Baumchen