lintern

Looking for video of reserve deployment on aircraft step (RSL/Skyhook snag)

I remember watching a video (some years ago) where the first shot starts with a skydiver filming from inside the aircraft whilst another skydiver climbs out onto the step / strut of the aircraft. The skydiver on the step snags their RSL/skyhook, the reserve canopy deploys and pulls the skydiver off the step. The reserve canopy hits the aircraft tail/stabiliser becomes and the reserve becomes a ball of crap.

The next shot shows the skydiver with the tangled reserve canopy above his head, desperately trying to fight to fix the reserve but theres no chance of that. After sometime he then throws his main pilot chute and his main cleanly deploys.

Does anyone know where I can find this video ?

Your question sounds suspiciously like those asked by trolls and lawyers.
I am allergic to lawyers.

Seriously, it is difficult to snag a Skyhook type RSL because only an inch is exposed above the right shoulder. A good rigger can tuck in the RSL so that is invisible.

The original video proves that clumsy skydivers are always more inventive that parachute designers, because clumsy skydivers invent malfunctions that never crossed the designer's mind .... in his worst drunken nightmare!

If you are a lawyer, you will have to start litigation by admitting "user error" and admitting that your client is clumsier than 99 percent of skydivers.

P.S. Skyhook was invented by the "Uninsured Relative Workshop."

Haha I wish I was a lawyer (instead of an engineer) then I would be able to afford to use the Windtunnel and progress [:/]

The video was shocking and showed what can happen and how things could have ended very badly but fortunately didn't.

The reason for trying to find the footage again was because when I was jumping with friends yesterday, myself and someone else noticed that one of the jumpers in our group had the metal housing (where the cables go through) hanging out because it seemed too long. I told them about this footage where the rsl snagged and deployed the reserve but none of them had seen the footage. So I wanted to show them the footage for learning purposes.

Always like to be watching out for others especially those I am jumping with.

Thanks medic0079, unfortunately thats not the video I was talking about but I appreciate you taking the time to look.

The video I am looking for starts with the shot from inside the aircraft (like the one you posted) but the skydiver climbed out onto the step of a wing strut like this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wWUsAQ55Sg

Whilst hanging onto the strut, the right side of his rig (where his rsl is fitted) gets caught on a part of the aircraft. Maybe the probe used to measure air speed or something?. The snag dislodges his rsl causing his reserve to deploy and dragged him off the strut. His reserve canopy then hit the tail of the aircraft and was tangled and ripped.

The next part shows the shot from his point of view, in free fall with nothing but a tangled ball of crap (his reserve canopy) above his head. He tries desperately to get his reserve to open, tugging on lines and risers etc but with no luck. Eventually he throws out his main pilot chute and luckily his main canopy opens without any problems.

The other point I was highlighting to my friends is that if he had performed his emergency procedures (cutaway and pull reserve) he wouldn't have survived. His reserve was a mess but his main and not performing the standard emergency procedure saved his life.

riggerrob

Your question sounds suspiciously like those asked by trolls and lawyers.

If only there was some way to find out a person's posting history and other behaviour on the forum, in order to figure out if they're likely to be a long-time jumper or not.

(I remember this video too. Possibly from skydivingmovies.com? Might explain why I can't find it on youtube either, though most of its content got mined out and posted illegally at some point.)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I found the original dropzone.com thread, but the video seems to be gone:

http://www.dropzone.com/forum/Skydiving_C1/Gear_and_Rigging_F6/Skyhook_RSL_snag_on_door_handle,_at_pin_cover_flap_P3645850
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

lintern

Thanks medic0079, unfortunately thats not the video I was talking about but I appreciate you taking the time to look.

The video I am looking for starts with the shot from inside the aircraft (like the one you posted) but the skydiver climbed out onto the step of a wing strut like this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wWUsAQ55Sg

Maybe this is a little bit off-topic - but am I the only one who thinks that somebody who climbs to the strut like the guy in the video should have no business even thinking about going there?
Nice words are not always true - and true words are not always nice.

I have a video downloaded that has the original title plus my notes:

"Fucking_manija (Skyhook RSL catch on door, pop reserve, shredded, pull main).flv" ~10MB, file date 11 August 2009

I think that is the one you are thinking of?

If you can't find it with the original title, I could probably post it somewhere.

(Screw "the cloud". Always download the good stuff in case it disappears!)

pchapman

I have a video downloaded that has the original title plus my notes:

"Fucking_manija (Skyhook RSL catch on door, pop reserve, shredded, pull main).flv" ~10MB, file date 11 August 2009

I think that is the one you are thinking of?

If you can't find it with the original title, I could probably post it somewhere.

(Screw "the cloud". Always download the good stuff in case it disappears!)

Thanks pchapman, that sounds like the one :)
I've trawled the internet looking for it but cant find it anywhere so had given up.

If you could post it somehow that would be great and very much appreciated :)
Maybe on something like dropbox or I will PM you my email address (I assume yahoo email will accept a 10Mb attachment?)

Many thanks

john

Thanks pchapman.

It looks like the original victim snagged on a handle on the inside of the door. It sort of looks like the Cessna-stock window latch. ... difficult to tell exactly because of the lens. Why the window latch was still installed on a jump-door .... is a mystery to me. Opening the window inflight is no longer relevant, but the window handle increases the snag risk.

Judging from the original video, the victim climbed out too high and rubbed his reserve container across the underside of the door as he struggled to hang in front of the step.
His buddy noticed the problem and tried to clear the snag, but it was too firmly snagged.
Trying to blame this malfunction on any single component (e.g. Skyhook) is pointless, because any time you grind a reserve container -that hard -against the underside of a wing - you risk damage or pre-mature deployment.

Caveat: lawyers are free to quote my dz.com postings as long as they pay me $100,000 per word.

pchapman

At the very end of this video, it looks like he is pulling in he reserve to prevent it from getting tangled with the main. Is that correct. I wish this video went a little longer, to see what he did with the reserve. I'd like to learn what he did with the reserve while steering the main.

Does anyone know some facts about that part of the skydive?