1 1
sundevil777

New audible altimeter from Alti-2

Canopy alarms appear to not be included, which is really surprising when the competition is so well established.  Something similar to the VOG would make more sense as a new product, rather than having fewer functions than the $195 Skylife Sirius (like an Optima).  Great to see another audible option in the lower cost range, but is weak for a new product. Of course canopy alarms might be possible in an upgrade to the software.

I have two N3A audibles, the old ones that require plugging in earbuds to work. I have two because I love them so much I want a spare if one dies. It tells me the altitude in freefall and under canopy. Thirteen (thousand)... Twelve (thousand)... It's so nice not to have to look at my altimeter or try to remember "Did that beep mean 6k or 5k? Did I switch from my freefly settings to my RW settings?"

VOGs are on back order but I'd like to try one. I'm hoping Alti-2 or LB really looks at including a similar feature.

13 hours ago, sedsquare said:

It tells me the altitude in freefall and under canopy. Thirteen (thousand)... Twelve (thousand)... It's so nice not to have to look at my altimeter or try to remember "Did that beep mean 6k or 5k? Did I switch from my freefly settings to my RW settings?"

The best altimeter on the planet is...   The Planet.

It's always right there, it never needs batteries, and it never lies.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sundevil777 said:

The Mercury Jade is another version, $60 cheaper and without the canopy alarms.

Very odd product strategy.  They are very small.

If you have a G4 Helmet, which is very tight, you want to have a very small unit. Not everybody wants canopy alarms. 

35 minutes ago, Falli said:

If you have a G4 Helmet, which is very tight, you want to have a very small unit. Not everybody wants canopy alarms. 

Good point about the size. But $60 more for just 3 more alarms, when both products are probably using the same electronics inside, seems a bit much. 

Hopefully there are more interesting devices in the pipeline as they've mentioned these are just the first of a product family.

51 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Good point about the size. But $60 more for just 3 more alarms, when both products are probably using the same electronics inside, seems a bit much. 

Hopefully there are more interesting devices in the pipeline as they've mentioned these are just the first of a product family.

If you read it correctly, the Mercury family has an easy to use Menu system, rechargeable batteries and are lightweight and small. If you ever tried to change the alarms in the plane, you know the advantage of a menu system instead of an App only model. The Crimson has 4+ Freefall alarms and canopy alarms. Also an optional app and both have the GEMINI technology where future altimeters can communicate over an encrypted bluetooth channel with each other.  

35 minutes ago, Falli said:

If you read it correctly, the Mercury family has an easy to use Menu system, rechargeable batteries and are lightweight and small. If you ever tried to change the alarms in the plane, you know the advantage of a menu system instead of an App only model. The Crimson has 4+ Freefall alarms and canopy alarms. Also an optional app and both have the GEMINI technology where future altimeters can communicate over an encrypted bluetooth channel with each other.  

Agreed about the rechargeable batteries - my biggest annoyance with L&B is they didn't use a commonly used battery!

Interesting, I haven't heard about GEMINI, and I haven't found anything on the alti-2 website about it. Are you part of alti-2?

3 hours ago, olofscience said:

Agreed about the rechargeable batteries - my biggest annoyance with L&B is they didn't use a commonly used battery!

Interesting, I haven't heard about GEMINI, and I haven't found anything on the alti-2 website about it. Are you part of alti-2?

Well, in the 21th century single use batteries should be gone as well as most of the plastic packaging. 

A dealer would know about GEMINI... 

2 hours ago, Falli said:

Well, in the 21th century single use batteries should be gone as well as most of the plastic packaging. 

A dealer would know about GEMINI... 

My old Neptune II uses a very common battery, easily had for $4.  The 2325 batteries for L&B products are easily obtained online for $4 a set.  Replacing it twice a year can add up towards significant money after 10 years, but that is a really weak marketing point.  We all know those built-in rechargeable batteries have problems also long term.

4 hours ago, sundevil777 said:

My old Neptune II uses a very common battery, easily had for $4.  The 2325 batteries for L&B products are easily obtained online for $4 a set.  Replacing it twice a year can add up towards significant money after 10 years, but that is a really weak marketing point.  We all know those built-in rechargeable batteries have problems also long term.

Not so sure, whether environment friendly products with rechargeable batteries are "bad" or have "problems". Like all rechargeable products they last 500 charging cycles before the capacity going down. If you charge every 2-4 weeks these products last more than 10 years.

17 hours ago, Falli said:

If you ever tried to change the alarms in the plane, you know the advantage of a menu system instead of an App only model.

I haven't tried the VOG or the FDS ones yet, but I was imagining that pulling out your phone in the aircraft to change alarms is easier than removing your helmet, taking out the audible and pressing buttons on it. Could anyone with one of those audibles share their experience?

17 hours ago, Falli said:

Not so sure, whether environment friendly products with rechargeable batteries are "bad" or have "problems". Like all rechargeable products they last 500 charging cycles before the capacity going down. If you charge every 2-4 weeks these products last more than 10 years.

A used Neptune II is more appealing to me than an N3 because I know the battery is not an issue - how the owner jammed the charger  into the unit like a gorilla which tends to break the circuit board, or whether the owner is selling it because the battery life is awful...of course I realize battery covers break/need to be replaced, but that is not a big deal. 

Rechargeable batteries that can't be replaced are common now because they are mostly reliable, and modern products are usually durable enough to withstand the very real abuse of plugging in a charger, but I think Alti-2's marketing is a bit weak for this application.

Also looking forward to more interesting products than this.  What is the GEMINI reference, I haven't heard of it yet. 

On 5/18/2022 at 2:44 AM, olofscience said:

I haven't tried the VOG or the FDS ones yet, but I was imagining that pulling out your phone in the aircraft to change alarms is easier than removing your helmet, taking out the audible and pressing buttons on it. Could anyone with one of those audibles share their experience?

The FDS SonoAlti 2V is a good piece of kit. It works well and the phone app is easy to use. I tried an external speaker in lieu of ear buds but the power output to the 3.5mm audio jack is not enough to drive the speaker. Honestly, this unit will not work with a Cookie G4. Getting the helmet on without dislodging your earbuds or re-inserting them after the helmet is on isn't worth the struggle. I use a a Cookie Fuel and it works brilliantly.

3 hours ago, olofscience said:

Is there any sort of protection on the bluetooth? What if the guy next to you also had the same audible, would there be a risk that you'll change the wrong settings?

No chance... You first have to manually put the unit into programming mode via a button on the back of the unit. Once you're done programming and exit the app, the handshake is broken.

On 6/11/2022 at 1:18 AM, mtgale00 said:

No chance... You first have to manually put the unit into programming mode via a button on the back of the unit. Once you're done programming and exit the app, the handshake is broken.

Interesting. But what if you and the guy next to you put your audibles in programming mode at the same time? Might happen if you're both in flightline and decide a new breakoff altitude.

6 hours ago, olofscience said:

Interesting. But what if you and the guy next to you put your audibles in programming mode at the same time? Might happen if you're both in flightline and decide a new breakoff altitude.

Yeah... and moon might de-orbit while you're in flight and take out the earth and you'd be able to freefall FOREVER.

On 3/30/2022 at 2:24 PM, sundevil777 said:

Canopy alarms appear to not be included, which is really surprising when the competition is so well established.  Something similar to the VOG would make more sense as a new product, rather than having fewer functions than the $195 Skylife Sirius (like an Optima).  Great to see another audible option in the lower cost range, but is weak for a new product. Of course canopy alarms might be possible in an upgrade to the software.

Another audible has just been announced...the Brilliant Pebbles Bluetooth Edition. https://www.aon2.co.uk/products/brilliant-pebbles-bluetooth

Any thoughts on how this compares?