1 1
Phil1111

Defense Spending

(edited)
On 3/30/2022 at 9:41 PM, gowlerk said:

How much weapon development do you expect to take place in Canada? A nation with a smaller population than Ukraine. We are a development partner with Boeing and other aerospace companies. But we need to specialize.

This is interesting: https://www.investigate-europe.eu/en/2022/arms-exports-a-business-without-an-eu-policy/ It's tangential to our conversation, for sure, and I in no way propose it supports positions either of us has taken. But it is interesting to note how the comings and goings of war materials between nations goes on.

Edited by JoeWeber

On 3/30/2022 at 11:20 AM, JoeWeber said:

What part of our allies signed an agreement to spend more on defense and continue to welsh on it year after year are you having a hard time with? 

You signed an agreement that Ukraine wouldn't be invaded if it gave up their WMD.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

By literal reading, sure. But Joe isn't arguing about literal reading of agreements, but about adhering to the principals of an agreement. 

I am. I am also not blaming Canada alone, or in concert for that matter, for our indefensible defense budget. Rather, it seems to me that removing in some degree the hard right perception that only America can defend democracy might be a step toward arguing that we should start spending a lot less on things military. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

By literal reading, sure. But Joe isn't arguing about literal reading of agreements, but about adhering to the principals of an agreement. 

They didn't break the literal reading or the principle. 

And Joe is arguing about both the literal reading and principle of the Nato defense spending commitments, he's just doing it because he's mad about a different, completely unrelated thing. Which is strange.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

I am. I am also not blaming Canada alone, or in concert for that matter, for our indefensible defense budget. Rather, it seems to me that removing in some degree the hard right perception that only America can defend democracy might be a step toward arguing that we should start spending a lot less on things military. 

While that does represent a major climbdown from your earlier ridiculous comments, it's still ridiculous. You want Canada and the rest of Europe to start spending hundreds of billions more on defense purely to do a domestic political favour to Americans who want a lower defense budget? 

A ) Sounds like a great deal, I'm sure they'll get right on that.

B ) Lol. The day that the US Congress passes a DOD budget cut because 'our allies have got us covered' is the day that Eisenhower rises from the grave.

On 3/29/2022 at 11:18 AM, SkyDekker said:

Joe will be upset that Trudeau had to agree to national dental care in order to get support for increased military spending.

Dental care program for kids under 12 will roll out by end of year: Budget 2022

On 3/29/2022 at 2:29 PM, Phil1111 said:

Canada goes cheap on its military because it loves social programs.

On 3/29/2022 at 2:40 PM, SkyDekker said:

Bullshit. This isn't an either or equation. Never has been. Simple soundbites like that are rather asinine.

Well the budget came out today. Perhaps you can explain to the Canadian finance minister. Why even deficit budgets are not an "either or equation". Money for a new housing program, dental care, native compensation. Nothing for new defense spending.

Whats asinine is people that don't understand that even deficits have limits. That an absence of spending on defense. Has always been an liberal tradition.