1 1
Rio Santonil

Recommendation: Hook Knife, Sheath and placement

During the recent USPA Safety day, I attended the seminar on mid-air collision and entanglements. The presenter suggested "Bench Made - Hook Knife". I'm leaning towards Bench Made but I'm open to other brand recommendations that you may be aware of or use with your rig for comparison purposes. Also, where do you place your hook knife on your rig or do you place it in jump suit or pants? 

https://www.benchmade.com/7-hook.html

https://www.benchmade.com/7-hook.html

(edited)

These knives are great! Made of a SINGLE piece of steel (meaning, blade is NOT a seperate piece).

Big one:

71yj6lcLeNS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Small one:

BE5BLKW_01_benchmade-rescue-hook-be5blkw

I have both models. Bigger one under mud flap, smaller one under front leg strap cover (above the legstrap hardware). One high, one low. One on the right, one on the left. Just in case one of your arms is broken, or you cannot reach high or low in a canopy wrap.

See below:

obraz.png.fe38ca040873b8060e7407058c104977.png

Edited by skydiverek
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chuckakers said:

Same here. I suggest using a large-handled knife (like the Ripper) and placing the pocket on the front of the thigh on your strong-arm side.

Ripper knife handles are made of cheap plastic that distorts and allows lines, etc. to get trapped between blades.

You would be wiser to buy the stiffer knives with fiberglass or metal handles.

See the CANPARA article on hook knives that I wrote back in 1984.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, riggerrob said:

Ripper knife handles are made of cheap plastic that distorts and allows lines, etc. to get trapped between blades.

You would be wiser to buy the stiffer knives with fiberglass or metal handles.

See the CANPARA article on hook knives that I wrote back in 1984.

Ordering

There is also Gerber Crisis hook (long type) and Gerber strap cutter (short version) that are similar to the Benchmade ones.

What ever you get carry 2 and in different places if possible, in case you drop the first one or if access is one is blocked by fabric of a canopy wrapped around you.

On 3/29/2022 at 6:29 PM, countzero said:

There is also Gerber Crisis hook (long type) and Gerber strap cutter (short version) that are similar to the Benchmade ones.

What ever you get carry 2 and in different places if possible, in case you drop the first one or if access is one is blocked by fabric of a canopy wrapped around you.

I seem to remember one of the 'crusty old guys'* suggesting carrying 3. One to drop, one that you won't be able to get to and one that you'll be able to use.

* - I believe it was AirTwardo, but I could be misremembering. Open to correction if anyone knows for sure.

4 hours ago, mtgale00 said:

For reference: Cut to the Chase

Knife Rule No. 1: 2 is one and 1 is none.

A knife with a ground steel cutting surface is the only real knife. The value of a hook knife that uses a utility blade(s) for skydiving is always arguable.

Good point.

We knew about this problem 40 years ago when I wrote an article for CANPARA Magazine. Back then some one suggesting adding a piece of cardboard to a hook knife sheath to prevent the two blades from "chewing" each other.

Also consider that cheap plastic handles are liable to allow the two blades to separate and jam around a piece of webbing - or suspension line.

Far wiser to invest in a knife with a solid fiberglass or metal handle.

A cheap, plastic hook knife is a huge improvement on nothing, but wise jumpers invest in hook knives with metal handles.