FatTangerine

Halfway through my AFF and not happy with instruction

My instructor has been a dbag from Day 1. I get it that he's just got a weird sense of humor and he even makes me laugh occasionally, but he is really abusive and answers every question with an insult about how dumb I must be to ask that question. Maybe my questions really are dumb, but I ask them bc I want to know the answers, not to be insulted. I've spoken to the chief instructor and he said that this guy gets all kinds of complaints, but he doesn't have anyone else for me, and I have to stick it out. I'm thinking about switching to another DZ.

I started this for fun. I'm not having fun right now with this guy.

Thoughts? Are my concerns reasonable?

Absolutely switch if you have the option to do so. I've asked a million questions and have never felt that way. Things can go wrong and there is a lot to learn when you're new (I'm only on jump 19). You need to be somewhere where you feel in a safe environment to ask questions. If you hold back questions because this guy makes you feel stupid, you aren't going to ever feel comfortable and you might never ask a question that you really need to hear the answer to. I flew to FL for 10 days to do AFF...... Highly recommend skydive city if you can take some time away to learn!
*If you fail to plan, you plan to fail*
*It's not flair, it's flare*
*Please use "your" and "you're" responsibly*

you should never be afraid to ask any question to your rinstructor, that is his job! he should never ridicule any question that you might have. you should never feel insulted either.
fair play to talking to the Chief instructor, and i am very suprised to hear that he has received numerous complains already and not acted on that! so he is not doing his Job either! if i got numerous complains about an instructor behaviour, i would get rid of him as he is bad for business.
hopefully there is another skydiving centre in your area that you can go to instead.

Do it. I had no idea where you lived when I typed that. If you can drive it, go do AFF there. As a student, you can't jump in over 14 mph winds so I would think with Sebastian being on the coast, you might run into more wind issues?
*If you fail to plan, you plan to fail*
*It's not flair, it's flare*
*Please use "your" and "you're" responsibly*

A instructor should never talk down to you and should always answer any questions. I have been to two different drop zones in Ga and Two in Fla. I had one instructor insult me and I complained and he is the nicest guy to me now! I did my AFF at skydive city and all the instructors will answer any questions you have at any time. They are all super cool! And you can chose another instructor at any time. Sometimes that helps because one instructor may notice something a little different. But they all teach the same way. Good luck but Skydive City is worth the drive!

That is very unfortunate. Believe me most instructors are NOT like that! Don't let it discourage you. If the DZ won't either (a) get you a new instructor or (b) talk with your current instructor to get him to change how he acts, then go to a different DZ. Sometimes I drive past DZ's to get to a DZ that is just fun to be at. You should learn at a place that respects you! Have fun and stick with it, alas with a new instructor ;)

Anal Mike

HEE HAW!!!
http://www.droguedonkey.com

FatTangerine

he doesn't have anyone else for me, and I have to stick it out. I'm thinking about switching to another DZ.

Do that.

Skydiving can be as much fun as the most fun thing that there is... *learning* to skydive is something you only get to do once. If it's not fun, someone is doing it wrong.

You're lucky in that you have choice of DZs where you are, definitely take advantage of it!
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

When I was teaching I used to love students that asked questions! Sometimes teaching becomes a little by the book and interaction with a student was actually appreciated. This guy just may be jaded after teaching for so long but that is no excuse for poor instruction. Since the Chief Instructor doesn't want to do anything speak with your wallet and go somewhere (anywhere!) else. Your paying big bucks as a student and you deserve to get your money's worth.

As others have said - you are in Florida - you have more dropzones within driving distance than practically anyone else in the world :-) Don't put up with this - find another dropzone that will teach you well, and make sure you email the dropzone in question that you left and tell them why.

This guy shouldn't be teaching students from what it sounds like...

FatTangerine

I was thinking about Skydive City. It's a bit further to drive, but it's worth it to me to have fun doing this. Another option would be Cocoa or Sebastian, but they are even further away for me.

I am sure other DZs would be good too, but Zhills is very good both for student and post student jumping.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

As I used to tell my students, and still tell the handgun students, the only stupid question is the one unasked. I agree with the rest here. If this moron can't be civil and actually TEACH you, go elsewhere. Pretty soon, if enough students drop that DZ because of one douchebag instructor (who certified him anyway?), they will get rid of him. They cannot afford the bad word of mouth publicity. Trust me, you will be happier at another DZ with REAL instructors and it will certainly be worth the drive.
If you know how many guns you have - you don't have enough!

FatTangerine

My instructor has been a dbag from Day 1. I get it that he's just got a weird sense of humor and he even makes me laugh occasionally, but he is really abusive and answers every question with an insult about how dumb I must be to ask that question.

Make sure you tell him you're sorry he has a small penis. :D

Maybe my questions really are dumb, but I ask them bc I want to know the answers, not to be insulted.

I love "dumb" questions. Those questions illustrate where my lesson plans may be weak and need improvement. I've been rewriting my syllabus for decades. B|

I've spoken to the chief instructor and he said that this guy gets all kinds of complaints, but he doesn't have anyone else for me, and I have to stick it out.

Sounds like ineffective management there. I've seen others quit the sport because of abusive instructors. When I started, many were former airborne and "hazing" type of instruction was considered normal or even beneficial. It's totally the reason I became an instructor, to try to break that cycle.

i fired AN AFF instructor because that person was a drunk and unable to safely run night jump ops.
Scared me and pissed me off.

Move on, there ARE very good instructors out there.

Get through the training safely and have fun.
It's a great sport with an amazing family.
B|

If you can't teach a student without belittling them for their questions, then you have no business teaching.
Stop.
Especially in a sport that people PAY good money for.
Especially in a sport like ours, that has the incredible power to suddenly make even the best of us feel dumb, let alone beginners.
This is not the fucking army boot camp.

Do what you have to do, your complain, if substantiated, is very reasonable and nobody would criticize you for switching DZ if you can't switch instructor. There are many wonderful options in florida and it's your money and your free time.

One thing, though.
It's a great sport with a wealth of great, fun, loving people, don't make the mistake of letting one "bad apple" scare you away. :)
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

If you're not happy with your instructor, and the DZ can't find you anyone else, get out and go somewhere else. A longer drive is totally worth being more comfortable and happier for jumping, especially when it's driving to Z-hills or Sebastian, I hear nothing but great things about those 2 dropzones. Your instructor sounds like an ass. There is no such thing as a stupid question, especially in skydiving. You're literally jumping out of a plane at 13000 feet, great instructors are those who hear the same question a 1000 times a week and reply to it the same positive way every single time because they know how important they are to this new student and anything they will do or say will stick with that student for possibly a long time.

I had amazing instructors and coaches during my progression, and it made my entry into the sport A LOT more fun, A LOT more exciting, and A LOT less stressful. It boosted my performance significantly jumping with coaches/instructors like that. I could totally see myself leaving the sport early if I had terrible instructors and I didn't know any better.

Trust me, get out and find a place where you are happier, even if it means driving for extra few hours.

Wow, what a rough experience.
I was told before Jump 1: Ask ALL questions. There are NO stupid questions. Everyone learns at their own pace and there is a CURVE that you are somewhere on. If you have a question, it is likely something someone else also does not know.

Many other cliché things.

But nobody was ever felt to have a "stupid" question and every question was answered with kindness and understanding that just because our instructor (she had a few thousand jumps) knew it doesn't mean we should. If we know it all, why be taught?

I teach paragliding, and get some... amateur questions. I teach medical students, and get some as well. I also teach medical residents. I teach paramedics and EMTs. I taught in the military a variety of things that were technical involving land combat. I can say with 100% certainty the worst thing you can do is make a "student" feel disrespected. Then they turn off, and you can teach them nothing of use. And when I would send someone into combat, or into the sky, or off to save lives... I want to feel good about that fact that they are as ready as they can be. They start with vastly different understandings, but they should leave the door (literally and/or figuratively) with the same minimal set of information that will save their lives and/or the lives of others.

Find another instructor. For your safety and enjoyment.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

DrDom

I was told before Jump 1: Ask ALL questions. There are NO stupid questions. Everyone learns at their own pace and there is a CURVE that you are somewhere on. If you have a question, it is likely something someone else also does not know.

But nobody was ever felt to have a "stupid" question and every question was answered with kindness and understanding that just because our instructor (she had a few thousand jumps) knew it doesn't mean we should. If we know it all, why be taught?

I teach paragliding, and get some... amateur questions. I teach medical students, and get some as well. I also teach medical residents. I teach paramedics and EMTs. I taught in the military a variety of things that were technical involving land combat. I can say with 100% certainty the worst thing you can do is make a "student" feel disrespected. Then they turn off, and you can teach them nothing of use. And when I would send someone into combat, or into the sky, or off to save lives... I want to feel good about that fact that they are as ready as they can be. They start with vastly different understandings, but they should leave the door (literally and/or figuratively) with the same minimal set of information that will save their lives and/or the lives of others.

Wow. Where's the "Like" button? :P

Seriously, this isn't "tiddlywinks." Knowing how to do things is important.

Go back and read your waiver. I'm willing to bet very heavily that there is a paragraph about "quality of instruction."
Basically, it says you are satisfied that the instruction given is adequate for you to safely jump.
If you aren't getting that, and the instructor won't give it to you, and the DZO won't ensure that the instructor gives it to you, then walk.

Make damned sure you tell the DZO that you are going elsewhere and taking your money with you.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

DrDom

Fantastic Response!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is dumb...take your money somewhere else. Skydiving - especially learning to skydive - is expensive. Far too expensive to waste it on some shitbag that makes you feel like a goof for asking reasonable questions.

Training - *especially* in the beginning - is critical so that one learns to jump safely. Skydiving can be very unforgiving. I worry, through no fault of your own, that you're being short changed in some critical aspect by this doofus instructor.

ZHills, Deland, Lake Wales, Sebastian, Clewiston...any of these places will give far superior instruction and will probably be generally close based on how much you feel like driving. Plus you can camp at every one. ZHills is my home DZ so I have a special feeling for that place...but I live in Tampa so it is close. Lol. I've been to all the other ones - as have many other ppl on this board - and they will all fit the bill.

I'm pretty sure Cocoa (Space Coast Skydiving...?) is tandem only.

DrDom

Very well put and I hope all students and instructors see DrDom's comments. We, as instructors, are here to build up students; to teach them. We are not here to belittle them or to make them scared to ask questions. The reason behind asking questions is a simple one... it is because we do not know the answer. Period. We are not born with skydiving knowledge or a "skydiving gene" in our body. Many times when a student doesn't know an answer it is because the instructor forgot to teach about the subject in question.

As an instructor I am always happy when a student asks me a question. Why is that? Simple... They are coming to me for answers because they trust me and know I will give them an honest answer, even if it is "Let me find out for you."

Keep asking questions. Never stop learning.
Learn from others' mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all yourself.
POPS 10672