kanyewest

My neighbor's tandem accident

Is it normal for the skydiving company to be completely ignore any accident? Once she showed me the video and heard what happened, now I'm completely turned away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMqkHlf9GFI

How does this happen? and how can I avoid this kind of malfunction? Just don't wanna die next week.

You can clearly hear the kid say, "Mom flipped". Moms are specifically instructed NOT to flip. Apparently Mom decided to flip anyway, putting her and her instructor at risk, and it affected their trajectory. Mom should be banned from ever skydiving again.

JohnnyMarko

I'm sorry this happened to your neighbor.

Now get out of here.

I must be missing something here. This person posts a video of a tandem instructor flying a passenger into a chain link fence and the answer is "Get out of here"?

Yes shit happens sometimes but this is an incident in my book.

Now to the OP. Was your neighbor hurt? I'm guessing they didn't just act like nothing happened at the time. Does your neighbor want their money back? Do they want to sue? What's your position in this other than being "put off"? Which for the record I couldn't give a damn about.

I could be wrong, and most likely am, but the post just screams lawyer/ulterior motives to me.

There's 5,230,089 other skydiving accident videos on YewToob that could freak a first timer out, why choose this one? Asking if the company is ignoring it? What could have been done differently?

Like I said, could be wrong, but I smell fish.

ETA one letter

kanyewest

Is it normal for the skydiving company to be completely ignore any accident? Once she showed me the video and heard what happened, now I'm completely turned away.

How does this happen? and how can I avoid this kind of malfunction? Just don't wanna die next week.

Go away, please
What goes around, comes later.

JohnnyMarko

I'm sorry this happened to your neighbor.

Now get out of here.

I think you're being completely unreasonable.

People in this sport need to own their mistakes. Sorry but a TI showing poor judgement in selecting a landing area is a blight on the sport NOT the person who asks what happens.

Joe Average assumes that the danger of a skydive is the parachute not opening, they don't consider that they can be seriously injured through a TI screwing up a landing.

When you take on an instructor role, it comes with an element of responsibility, if you won't accept that then don't do it. The time to push the limits is when you are on your own.

Note: Accidents happen, no-one is perfect. I don't advocate suing people for making mistakes.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

kanyewest

Hi Kanye. How's Kim? You pay your money, you sign your release forms, you take your chances.

JohnMitchell

***Is it normal for the skydiving company to be completely ignore any accident? Once she showed me the video and heard what happened, now I'm completely turned away.

Hi Kanye. How's Kim? You pay your money, you sign your release forms, you take your chances.
I wondered when someone would comment about that ;)

JohnMitchell

***Is it normal for the skydiving company to be completely ignore any accident? Once she showed me the video and heard what happened, now I'm completely turned away.

Would've thought a 'genius' wouldn't have to ask questions. :ph34r:
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

nigel99

***I'm sorry this happened to your neighbor.

Now get out of here.

I think you're being completely unreasonable.

People in this sport need to own their mistakes. Sorry but a TI showing poor judgement in selecting a landing area is a blight on the sport NOT the person who asks what happens.

Joe Average assumes that the danger of a skydive is the parachute not opening, they don't consider that they can be seriously injured through a TI screwing up a landing.

When you take on an instructor role, it comes with an element of responsibility, if you won't accept that then don't do it. The time to push the limits is when you are on your own.

Note: Accidents happen, no-one is perfect. I don't advocate suing people for making mistakes.

I agree. If that TI worked for me he'd be getting his DCM award...
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Now to the OP. Was your neighbor hurt? ..... Do they want to sue? ....

All skydivers sign waivers to prevent frivolous law suits. Frivolous law suits are exhausting for the wounded.
Sure, personal injury lawyers are all sweetness and love and hale fellow well met and promise to fight for the rights of victims and get them the money they deserve, but behind that glib facade, lawyers love the wounded the same way Afghan drug lords love their tea boys.
Lawyers' primary goal is drag out law suits for the maximum number of billable hours.
Wounded are lucky if they see half of a settlement at the end of many years of legal misery.
The worst part about personal injury lawsuits is the number of times that wounded are forced to recall their accidents over many years. Repeatedly being forced to recall an accident guarantees Prolonged Traumatic Stress Disorder. After lengthy and emotionally-exhausting litigation, no amount of dollars can erase the emotional trauma.

Bottom line: write it off the bad winds and get on with your life. The sooner you allow this awkward jump to fade from your memory, the better.

Oh, hell. I'll play too.

This was a bad landing. They happen.

It could have been a traffic conflict (another canopy in the air) that the TI had to avoid that caused this. It could have been funky winds, a bad spot, or just "operator error."
It's almost impossible to tell from that video.

Was the student (passenger) hurt?

This is not a carnival ride. It's skydiving. There are risks.
When (if) you go, you will be required to sign a lengthy waiver (hold harmless agreement). It's a binding legal document, I suggest you actually read it.
It will say "risk of injury or death" a bunch of times.

Basically it means that you understand that there are risks. That there is no guarantee that it will go as planned. That "Bad Shit" might happen. And you agree to assume that risk, and not blame the DZ if something goes wrong.

There is virtually nothing that you can do to avoid this. You are completely under the control of the TI. If you want to take responsibility for what happens, take the AFF course and do a solo jump. But then you won't have a TI to take care of you.

It is a rare occurrence that something goes bad. The vast majority of students (passengers) have a fun and safe experience. You have to decide if the small but very real risk is worth it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo