0
kleggo

Sunpath Aurora Harness / container assembly

Recommended Posts

If you own / jump one please post your thoughts.

durability?

comfort?

ease (or not) of packing main container?

does your rigger swear at you when its time for I&R?

harness configuration (rings at lateral / leg strap junction or other)?

other?

 

I know some may think WS "specific" rigs may be a marketing ploy, but my shoulder likes the thought of lower pilot chute pull location.

 

Thank you.

Craig

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2022 at 11:29 AM, kleggo said:

If you own / jump one please post your thoughts.

durability?

comfort?

ease (or not) of packing main container?

does your rigger swear at you when its time for I&R?

harness configuration (rings at lateral / leg strap junction or other)?

other?

 

I know some may think WS "specific" rigs may be a marketing ploy, but my shoulder likes the thought of lower pilot chute pull location.

 

Thank you.

Craig

 

Been jumping one for a year now. Love it. 
 

Durability - no issues and I regularly slide in after doing 270s. Does feel like lighter fabric so I’m sure if I slide across asphalt it’s gonna tear. 
 

Comfort - just fine. No huge puffy backpad or leg strap pads but it’s as comfy as any other rig without thick padding. 
 

Packing takes some work to figure out, but you’ll get it soon enough. 
 

Rigger doesn’t care at all, she said it’s essentially the exact same as any javelin 

Didn’t like the adjustable laterals so I had my rigger tack them in place. 
 

BOC is huge, the guy I bought it from had his rigger sew a line right through the center, splitting it into a top and bottom boc. The top one is where I put my pc for storing, but I use the bottom for jumping it. 
 

location of the BOC is amazing, I love how long the rig is. Had a cutaway due to a really fucked up pull because of a bad shoulder so I went with the longest rig I ca. find and I’m happy I did. You basically don’t even need to bend your elbow, the pc is nearly at my full arm length. 
 

don’t think the neoprene collar up around the yoke does much but doesn’t hurt. 
 

prrvious owner also had a rigger sew on a spot for bridle protection but with how I route mine I don’t even use it and I have as good of bridle protection as my standard javelin or any other rig.

 

let me know if you have any other questions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

I have been flying a 3C for about a year and 150 WS flights. This is the largest configuration with an Optimum 193 and Epicene Pro 190. I also own an Odyssey J4K w/ dynamic corners. I, hands down, prefer the Aurora for WS.

It’s constructed from ParaPak which is lighter and creates marginally less drag. It is slightly less durable, but, recognize there are 30-year old ParaPak Odyssey containers still in operation, so, it’s very durable with proper care.

The laterals are adjustable so you can make the rig as tight or loose as you want. If adjusted properly, comfort on the ground and in the air is pretty much the same as an Odyssey. If you have the laterals VERY (too) tight, it will cause discomfort while under canopy as the laterals will dig into your sides (This is true for any harness with laterals that are too short). Like @skydave89 mentioned, you can get them where you want and tack them down. I just put a couple extra retainer bands around the excess webbing. There are no harness rings and the leg straps do not have any padding. I prefer this configuration for WS.

The length of the container and position of the BOC is far superior to my Odyssey. It’s not as important in small wingsuits, but, I believe it is better as it allows for a more natural pull and puts it in a similar location as a BASE rig if WS BASE is in your future.

I’ve also flown my Aurora slick and in two-piece tracking suits. It’s fine for Belly flying, but, not appropriate for sit/stand as the BOC provides enough friction to keep the PC in place at high WS speeds, but, not enough for direct airflow from below. I do not believe altering the BOC like @skydave89’s is necessary as you can simply position the PC high or low and it will stay in place.

Packing my Epicene Pro 190 into the bag is simple and easy. The procedure is slightly different, but, not cumbersome. Packing a WinX, Pilot or other full ZP canopy in this bag will obviously be more difficult, but, not impossible.

Reserve is same TSO as a Javelin Odyssey.

Here’s a video review I did last year. and Here’s a recent video of me flying it with an ATC 3.

Feel free to reach out with any other questions.

Edited by BMAC615

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
9 hours ago, BMAC615 said:

I have been flying a 3C for about a year and 150 WS flights. This is the largest configuration with an Optimum 193 and Epicene Pro 190. I also own an Odyssey J4K w/ dynamic corners. I, hands down, prefer the Aurora for WS.

It’s constructed from ParaPak which is lighter and creates marginally less drag. It is slightly less durable, but, recognize there are 30-year old ParaPak Odyssey containers still in operation, so, it’s very durable with proper care.

The laterals are adjustable so you can make the rig as tight or loose as you want. If adjusted properly, comfort on the ground and in the air is pretty much the same as an Odyssey. If you have the laterals VERY (too) tight, it will cause discomfort while under canopy as the laterals will dig into your sides (This is true for any harness with laterals that are too short). Like @skydave89 mentioned, you can get them where you want and tack them down. I just put a couple extra retainer bands around the excess webbing. There are no harness rings and the leg straps do not have any padding. I prefer this configuration for WS.

The length of the container and position of the BOC is far superior to my Odyssey. It’s not as important in small wingsuits, but, I believe it is better as it allows for a more natural pull and puts it in a similar location as a BASE rig if WS BASE is in your future.

I’ve also flown my Aurora slick and in two-piece tracking suits. It’s fine for Belly flying, but, not appropriate for sit/stand as the BOC provides enough friction to keep the PC in place at high WS speeds, but, not enough for direct airflow from below. I do not believe altering the BOC like @skydave89’s is necessary as you can simply position the PC high or low and it will stay in place.

Packing my Epicene Pro 190 into the bag is simple and easy. The procedure is slightly different, but, not cumbersome. Packing a WinX, Pilot or other full ZP canopy in this bag will obviously be more difficult, but, not impossible.

Reserve is same TSO as a Javelin Odyssey.

Here’s a video review I did last year. and Here’s a recent video of me flying it with an ATC 3.

Feel free to reach out with any other questions.

Why do you prefer no leg strap padding?  You are claiming it comes standard with none?  If true, it should be described as such by Sunpath, as I think it would be a surprise.

Edited by sundevil777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sundevil777 said:

Why do you prefer no leg strap padding?  You are claiming it comes standard with none?  If true, it should be described as such by Sunpath, as I think it would be a surprise.

Sorry, Cloud leg pads are not an option. I prefer the standard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

Good discussion.  Thank you.

bmac, thank you for the links.

 

I'll call Sunpath tomorrow and ask them some questions.

I find the form factor of the Aurora to be a bit strange, but Form following Function seems like a good path forward in this case.

Edited by kleggo
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

I have been doing several hundreds of jumps on it now and am very happy with it. Answering questions below

durability?

No problems, so as any other rig I have owned. 

comfort?

Top notch. This could be the very best feature of the rig. Came from an Icon rig, Aurora is soo much more comfortable to wear. In the air, the deployment flying a wingsuit is a breeze. You can also place the PC in multiple positions, so put it where you like. Personally I put it next to my back, so around the corner towards my back. There it lies well protected and super easy to grip. The neoprene collar up around the yoke is in fact removing air travelling btw the rig and your back - when going fast aka diving. Gives you a more calm ride, at speed, especially at competitions. 

ease (or not) of packing main container?

Packing, you have to learn it, but for me it was quick. Packing is much easier this way I find. Relaxed, spend much less time deflating the canopy, it doesnt matter too much as you will form the bag, once it is closed, with your knees

does your rigger swear at you when its time for I&R?

No, its just a Jav...

harness configuration (rings at lateral / leg strap junction or other)?

Tie downs (hip connection) are adjustable which is not needed really. So I got advice from Sunpath after complaining about them moving having to be adjusted every jump, to let my rigger stich them on a preferred setting. Done. Happy now.

other?

In general I am not a big fan of the Javelin reserve container system; I take issue with the "weak" reserve PC. I like a stronger spring really - get the hell out there. The weaker spring is okay if you are blasting downwards at terminal speed. In a wingsuit situation you are in a different situation completely and so I would have liked to see Sunpath acknowledge that fact. I spoke to them about it of course. Anyway, if Sunpath announces an upgraded and stronger one, I shall order one.

Edited by birdynamnam
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
On 3/29/2022 at 11:22 AM, kleggo said:

Good discussion.  Thank you.

bmac, thank you for the links.

 

I'll call Sunpath tomorrow and ask them some questions.

I find the form factor of the Aurora to be a bit strange, but Form following Function seems like a good path forward in this case.

Did you get what you needed from them? I also realized I wrote that I have an Optimum 193 in the 3C which is incorrect. I have an Optimum 160 in the 3C and an Optimum 193 in my J4K.

Edited by BMAC615

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2022 at 5:25 AM, birdynamnam said:

" ... In general I am not a big fan of the Javelin reserve container system; I take issue with the "weak" reserve PC. I like a stronger spring really - get the hell out there. The weaker spring is okay if you are blasting downwards at terminal speed. In a wingsuit situation you are in a different situation completely and so I would have liked to see Sunpath acknowledge that fact. I spoke to them about it of course. Anyway, if Sunpath announces an upgraded and stronger one, I shall order one."

The Javelin reserve pilot-chute spring is based upon an old Military Specification. A MIL SPEC MA-1 spring is supposed to require 18 pounds to compress it to only 1/2 inch. Some other modern skydiving rigs use stronger springs, but most of them are buried under many more flaps versus only 2 flaps covering Javelin reserve pilot-chutes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, skydiverek said:

 

JAVELIN reserve pilotchute:

 

 

Nice find. Did MARS do any similar testing vids with other rigs for comparison by any chance, to see what vertical distance the PC's get?

Riggers or jumpers often pop reserves to see how it goes, but as you know, not usually in some standardized configuration with the rig nearly horizontal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, skydiverek said:

 

JAVELIN reserve pilotchute:

 

 

I will say it is a rare Javelin where I launch the reserve and it does not go to full bridal extension.  Racers always do too.   The Javelin PC is wimpy compared to a Mirage but it doesnt have to push a crazy amount of flaps out of the way.  In my rigging career, Racers and Javelins (and old Reflexes) consistantly have the best launches.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A reserve pilot chute only has to launch 1.5 meters ... perhaps 2 meters ... to clear the low-speed, turbulent air around a skydiver. Once out in smooth, fast air, it will inflate and pull hard.

I cannot remember the last time I pulled a reserve ripcord and the pilot-chute launched less than 1.5 meters. Most extend most of the reserve bridle before hitting the floor ... more than enough to start reserve deployment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2022 at 8:29 PM, BMAC615 said:

It’s pretty narrow at the top.

Surprisingly, and to their credit, my contact @ Sunpath did not feel Aurora was appropriate for my morphology.

Bravo to them.

They did say a Javelin with dynamic corners would be ideal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2022 at 6:51 PM, kleggo said:

Surprisingly, and to their credit, my contact @ Sunpath did not feel Aurora was appropriate for my morphology.

Bravo to them.

They did say a Javelin with dynamic corners would be ideal!

For what it’s worth, I love my Aurora and also have a Javelin Odyssey with open corners as a backup rig, but for wingsuiting I think the Icon-Long is the next best option if you don’t do the Aurora. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

0