chuckakers

AAD use - let's hear it!

billvon

Well, more like people have $6000 to get the exact rig they want, the exact color main, the exact reserve - but can't scrape together the remaining $1200 for an AAD.

Do try to pay attention. A number of people have already posted that their complete rigs cost them less than a single AAD.

lyosha

My calculations were based on the price of a Vigil.

What did Wicked Wingsuits say?

I wouldn't jump a Vigil, or a Mars2.

Dunno what Wicked Wingsuits would say. I only queried Cloud9 out of curiosity. I don't jump wingsuits, & have no interest in buying an AAD. If I wanted one, I'd have simply bought one years ago.

ETA: $6 per month for 20yrs?? Care to figure the interest on that one :S??

lyosha

So, given that you'll be able to sell your AAD should you want to not use it anymore, and that it has a defined, finite lifetime, you can figure out the monthly cost of AAD ownership. Which is ~$6. You can squirm all you want but that is reality.

No, that's your way of working the numbers to make it sound attractive. Reality is that an AAD isn't paid for monthly unless you involve a third party or have a very generous seller.
cavete terrae.

You can now drive away with a brand new Mercedes Benz,no money down at signing, only 399 a month, we will even add complementary service for first 4 years or 400000 miles which ever comes first :P

Because, You deserve the best, come to your local Mercedes dealers today.

Bernie Sanders for President 2016

PiLFy

*** ...The They in those cases being assholes who think they've the right to impose their views on others.

Not choosing sides on the debate, but to be fair there have been people with arguments pro and con that have been trying to impose their views on others.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

****** ...they being assholes who think they've the right to impose their views on others.

Not choosing sides on the debate, but to be fair there have been people with arguments pro and con that have been trying to impose their views on others.

I'm not trying to force anyone not to use an AAD…

AADs are kinda like alcohol. I can see the appeal, but if someone chooses not to partake, how is that your problem? For the people trying to force others to conform to their views: Don't be an asshole, let them make their own life choices.
cavete terrae.

chuckakers

****** ...they being assholes who think they've the right to impose their views on others.

I got misquoted :S

lyosha

********* ...they being assholes who think they've the right to impose their views on others.

I got misquoted :S

Fixed it for you. I don't think shortening the comment changed the meaning. If so I apologize. It's a direct copy and paste now.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Ok calm down everyone. I will take on the monthly financing of AADs for licensed jumpers through my loft. I will lease you an AAD for only $10 per month. At the end of the year you will own it. Because I ship the device the first month, you will be responsible for the $10 monthly payment plus $1350 in shipping. That means you are only paying $120 for a brand new cypres 2! Now everyone can afford one. Who can't afford $120 spread out over a year?!
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

D22369

skydiving even with all the safety devices could be considered a pretty selfish act, if you have anybody who cares about you or relies on you.

every skydive has the potential to go catastrophically wrong and end your life no matter what safety devices you use.

You really don't make a distinction between quitting the activity altogether, or doing it with a small safety device in your rig? Or free climbing vs. climbing the same rock with gear? I am having a very difficult time distinguishing this from, "I don't want to wear my seatbelt in my car, don't force me, you nanny-stater". It's selfish to force somebody to give up an activity that they love, but also selfish to not take reasonable precautions to make it safer. If anybody doesn't agree, then we're very different people, and I honestly think they don't care much for the others in their life, nor for their own life or the consequences of their death on anybody else.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

PiLFy

*** As has been mentioned, the cost of an aad is $6 a month. There are people who will rent you one for like $20 a month if you don't have a grand of credit left. Still less than one jump ticket a month.

If you can only afford to jump once a month, I think you should consider not jumping. You will never quite be current.

As usual, an awful lot of BS getting spewed by a few people on Dizzy...

Here's your $20 rental fee:

"Thank you for reaching out us at Cloud 9 Parachute Leasing LLC.

We have the following payment options available for Cypres 2 AADs.

(2) month option - $729.89 + tax & shipping

(3) month option - $499.33 + tax & shipping

(12) month option - $164.53 + tax & shipping

These prices are a Lease to Own for new Cypres 2 AAD, at the end of the term you would own the AAD.

Please let me know if any of these plans work for you."

150 month service life for a Cypres comes out to $11.50 per month plus interest.

If you're going to make your argument towards people of marginal means, do it accurately.

Nanny States always start w/a foot in the door technique, because "It's just plain old common sense." Then, they quickly spiral out of control, passing progressively inhibitive laws. The They in those cases being assholes who think they've the right to impose their views on others. That's a Hell of a slippery slope once it starts.

Carry on...

I think I love you man. You nailed it. Personally I can afford an AAD easily....I just don't want one. Perhaps I'll change my mind one day, in which case I'll buy one. It will be my decision, not some do-gooder who's two whole decades on the planet have taught him everything there is to know. Every argument these guys use for having the 'responsibility' to buy an AAD can also be used for NOT SKYDIVING AT ALL. What's on my back is none of your business.

chuckakers

****** ...The They in those cases being assholes who think they've the right to impose their views on others.

Chuck,

The words you've attributed to Iyosha, are mine.

For the record, I haven't tried to impose my views regarding AADs on anyone. I've made no arguments for or against their use. I merely shot down a few false arguments.

chuckakers

A number of people have already posted that their complete rigs cost them less than a single AAD.

Since we typically get what we pay for that's kind of a scary thought.

Agreed. However, apparently they are out there, & riggers have found them to be airworthy.

billindenver

Every argument these guys use for having the 'responsibility' to buy an AAD can also be used for NOT SKYDIVING AT ALL. What's on my back is none of your business.

People are still under some strange delusion that their actions, in this case possible death at a DZ, will affect nobody but themself. I just cannot bring myself to think in that manner, and I have a hard time understanding how anybody can. Would any of you "don't regulate me" people care to go on the threads of the latest no-AAD fatality's friends who are grieving with his death and tell them that it's none of their business that he died? That it was his decision and they're nanny-staters who should just get over it? They seem to be suffering right now, it has clearly affected them.

And again, another person who makes no distinction between giving up skydiving completely, and doing exactly the same skydive with a small safety device hidden in their rig. Completely baffling that it makes sense to some people. We're going to skydive, so let's see what practical and simple measures we can take to improve our safety. Driving? Wear a seatbelt and drive. Riding a motorcycle? Wear a helmet and ride. Climbing? Use ropes and climb. Skydiving? Use an AAD and jump. How do you get from there to giving it up completely?

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

You notice how much you sound like a non jumper speaking about skydiving in general? - to them its pure stupidity to jump from an airplane no matter what.

You will never understand people who just want to live by their own rules.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

D22369

You notice how much you sound like a non jumper speaking about skydiving in general? - to them its pure stupidity to jump from an airplane no matter what.

You will never understand people who just want to live by their own rules.

Roy

Sounds more like you don't care if you live, by your own rules. You're OK with dying for lack of a small safety device, and screw anybody who is left to face the consequences. It's not that you want your own rules, it's that you're making what I consider to be a really incomprehensible decision that shows a lack of respect for your own life and the consequences that your death could bring, all so you can feel good about not having a hidden safety device. My own rules include using that little device, it's an intelligent decision. Making my own rules does not include stupid choices.

Can we please stop with the suggestion that we should all quit skydiving? I cannot understand how you think giving up the activity completely is the same as installing an AAD. Driving without a seatbelt is real driving. Well, if we have to wear a seatbelt, we'd all be safer not driving anyway! Let's quit driving. I get the feeling that it's all-or-nothing for you, and that "compromise" or "finding a happy medium" are not really options in your world. Seriously, you make using an AAD sound like getting castrated. I wonder how you feel about other safety rules that you think affect only yourself, but actually affect others, too.

Edit: I asked my girlfriend, who took AFF but is not an active jumper, about this. We've been all over the world together, skydiving, scuba diving, abseiling, riding in some guy's homemade submarine 600m below the ocean, bungee jumping, etc. She is the adventurous type. My question was what she would think if I decided to jump without an AAD because it thrills me more. She said, "I'd think you're [expletive deleted] stupid, and that you don't care about our life together." Yet she's fine with me skydiving in general.

Edit again: She added later, "What am I supposed to tell people at your funeral? That you chose (to be) stupid? Chose (to be) stupid over me?"

So I can feel good about not having it? That is not in the equation at all.
Nobody at the dz even knows I don't have one unless they specifically ask, and nobody has so I think we can rule out an ego stroke.

Its merely personal preference.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

chuckakers

A number of people have already posted that their complete rigs cost them less than a single AAD.

I am one of those people (although I added a brand new AAD to my rig before I jumped it)

my cheap rig is a javelin container
with a triathlon with around 500 jumps
and a Super Raven all manufactured in 1999 and the previous owner was a master rigger. I am not scared of my rig at all but I feel like I did get a good deal on it. I went the cheap route so I could afford an AAD but my point is there is "cheap" gear that is safe.

but I am a newb so I could be wrong

tred

I am one of those people (although I added a brand new AAD to my rig before I jumped it)

my cheap rig is a javelin container
with a triathlon with around 500 jumps
and a Super Raven all manufactured in 1999 and the previous owner was a master rigger. I am not scared of my rig at all but I feel like I did get a good deal on it. I went the cheap route so I could afford an AAD but my point is there is "cheap" gear that is safe.

but I am a newb so I could be wrong

You're not wrong. Old, inexpensive gear isn't necessarily dangerous. It's just that sometimes it is and that is scary.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Well, more like people have $6000 to get the exact rig they want, the exact color main, the exact reserve - but can't scrape together the remaining $1200 for an AAD.

That comment hit home to me. I just watched a young guy at the DZ get his first rig - was more than happy to spend $3100 on a new container with every single option available (I'll leave the brand out), but wouldn't spend more than $300 on a used reserve. It's that same mindset.

*edited for spelling
=========Shaun ==========