8 8
Erroll

Luke Aikins planning new stunt.

1 hour ago, Pat007 said:

If someone thinks mounting a vigorous campaign to earn votes is a waste of their time then it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Luke got 274 votes in the last election without even campaigning. All write-in candidates got 10 votes. I can't believe that there aren't at least 284 votes of non-Kapowsin jumpers to prevail in a head-to-head election (particularly in light of the fact that only about 15% of USPA members voted). I also don't believe that loyalty to a fellow Kapowsin jumper would outweigh voting for a candidate that offered more to the members than a Kapowsin candidate might. Lastly, I think it's a mistake to limit the field of potential candidates to DZOs. The board will be strongest by having as broad a representation of skydivers as possible - DZOs, fun jumpers, rating holders, etc.

I agree that the field shouldn't be limited to DZO's. In fact I'd agree that DZO's are best left off the ballot and I'd include all family members. That said, vested interests will prevail so that's just reality. I respect your perceptions. But please understand that there are other views that might be borne of more history: personal history that spans decades. 

8 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I agree that the field shouldn't be limited to DZO's. In fact I'd agree that DZO's are best left off the ballot and I'd include all family members. That said, vested interests will prevail so that's just reality.

The main reason most directors are either DZOs or some other industry insider is that no one else is willing to do the job. It is not a plum position, the main reward is social interaction with peers and some self satisfaction for contributing. It is almost all boring tedious administrative chores. And taking criticism. All that said I guess Luke screwed up enough that yes, he should resign.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I respect your perceptions. But please understand that there are other views that might be borne of more history: personal history that spans decades. 

I really do respect your lived experience, Joe. And the only thing we can change is the present and the future. So, if Luke is still on the board when the next election rolls around, and he runs again, and memories are long enough, that would give another candidate the best opportunity to unseat him, if enough people care about it. 

1 hour ago, Pat007 said:

I really do respect your lived experience, Joe. And the only thing we can change is the present and the future. So, if Luke is still on the board when the next election rolls around, and he runs again, and memories are long enough, that would give another candidate the best opportunity to unseat him, if enough people care about it. 

Pat, you clearly care. Let's give you the job. Seriously.

9 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

OK, so let's collaborate and find some poor, miserable, unaware, but cheery and excited victim and set them on the path to greatness.

To find the aggressively social person — it’ll come quite naturally to them. One of the things that conference members like is feeling recognized, so being the person who makes sure that milestones are recognized, who starts a bonfire culture again (and makes it stick), who has a traveling canopy class, coach course, newbie organizing day — that’s who will both enjoy it and very possibly win. Because people will recognize the name.

Wendy P.