12 12
Erroll

Luke Aikins planning new stunt.

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

So take off in a plane... and land in a plane.

So not a skydive then.

It is skydiving. It is not parachute landing. lol

I know Luke very well. He's a brilliant stunt engineer and an amazingly talented guy. I have no doubt he and Andy will nail this one.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, chuckakers said:

I know Luke very well. He's a brilliant stunt engineer and an amazingly talented guy. I have no doubt he and Andy will nail this one.

You knew Tom Noonan as well, didn't you? Your admiration and confidence will make zero difference in the end.

10 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

You knew Tom Noonan as well, didn't you? Your admiration and confidence will make zero difference in the end.

My snark alarm is ringing.

Sounds like you think Luke is foolish or naive to the dangers involved in his stunts. He is not, and he accepts the dangers as a tradeoff in his chosen career. Luke is a meticulous engineer, does everything by the letter of the law, and never cuts corners.

We all have our own acceptable levels of risk. Yours is apparently somewhere short of Luke's.

1 minute ago, chuckakers said:

We all have our own acceptable levels of risk. Yours is apparently somewhere short of Luke's.

As is nearly everyone's. I'm fine with him taking personal risk. I'm not so sure about the two pilotless aircraft that will land somewhere. Of course his plan is sound, nothing unexpected ever goes wrong when "experts" are involved. They always think of everything. This appears to me as an example of every stunt needing to be even more impressive than the last one. Which inevitably leads to biting off more than can be chewed. I would not be surprised if this one either is abandoned or becomes the one we all remember as the last one.

1 hour ago, chuckakers said:

It is skydiving. It is not parachute landing. lol

It's not an accident that he's done the stunts he's accomplished. But it is a dangerous activity.

9 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

As is nearly everyone's. I'm fine with him taking personal risk. I'm not so sure about the two pilotless aircraft that will land somewhere. Of course his plan is sound, nothing unexpected ever goes wrong when "experts" are involved. They always think of everything. This appears to me as an example of every stunt needing to be even more impressive than the last one. Which inevitably leads to biting off more than can be chewed. I would not be surprised if this one either is abandoned or becomes the one we all remember as the last one.

They are doing the stunt out over the ocean. So unless there is an unlucky fishing boat!!! Just kidding I assume they are going to clear the stunt area.

5 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Wow, you're a real bucket of sunshine today. I've actually seen some of the training jumps and they make it look easy.

The planning included the FAA, so I'm sure they have a specific location with wide margins for a possible empty-plane crash, much the way the "car skydivers" get specific location permission from the feds to let cars smash into the turf.

Yes, this stunt has an element of danger. So does your next skydive.

39 minutes ago, chuckakers said:

My snark alarm is ringing.

Sounds like you think Luke is foolish or naive to the dangers involved in his stunts. He is not, and he accepts the dangers as a tradeoff in his chosen career. Luke is a meticulous engineer, does everything by the letter of the law, and never cuts corners.

Hi Chuck,

Re:  Luke is a meticulous engineer

What engineering specialty did he get his degree in?

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Chuck,

Re:  Luke is a meticulous engineer

What engineering specialty did he get his degree in?

Jerry Baumchen

I have no idea if Luke has a degree of any kind, but I do l know his body of work and it's loaded with engineering - the verb, not the title.

You guys can pee on the parade all you want. Luke has proven his abilities over many years in skydiving, aviation, stunt coordination and performance, film work, and project consulting (including Baumgartner's record jump). He's as solid as they come, and people in his industry know it.

He's in a risky business. If you think he's foolish, so be it.

1 hour ago, sundevil777 said:

I hope they will not do a full rehearsal, that it will be the first time when they do it for the live event.

I'd guess a dozen rehearsals where they trade planes with pilots in both a/c.Boats in the water and rigs on their backs  Chuck does have a point in that he is not that nutjob that crashed his Champ for a You-tube minute of fame.

But it is dangerous.

Foolish? I never said that. You are putting words into my mouth. I'm sure the Gods of Red Bull and Pay Per View will be fine. Until they aren't. Hey Evel Knievel died of natural causes in the end. The show must go on.

I have no idea if Luke has a degree of any kind, but I do l know his body of work and it's loaded with engineering - the verb, not the title.

You guys can pee on the parade all you want. Luke has proven his abilities over many years in skydiving, aviation, stunt coordination and performance, film work, and project consulting (including Baumgartner's record jump). He's as solid as they come, and people in his industry know it.

Hi Chuck,

Re:  the verb, not the title

Yet, you used it not as a verb but as a noun.

Re:  If you think he's foolish, so be it.

I would prefer that you not put words into my mouth.

Re:  You guys can pee on the parade all you want.

I am definitely not trying to do that.  Andy & Luke are very gifted skydivers with an insane amount of experience.  I think that if anyone can pull this off, these two can.

I wish them well.

I just do not like the term 'engineer' being tossed around willy nilly.  Some of us worked very hard for that title.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 2

Must be running out of 'net' money.

-------

Okay, that was a bit snarky, but the following isn't. Genuine, curious questions...

2 hours ago, chuckakers said:

l know his body of work... Luke has proven his abilities over many years in skydiving, aviation, stunt coordination and performance, film work, and project consulting (including Baumgartner's record jump). He's as solid as they come, and people in his industry know it.

Other than the net jump and Baumgartner's jump, what else has he worked on?

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

I'd guess a dozen rehearsals where they trade planes with pilots in both a/c.Boats in the water and rigs on their backs

Are they planning to not wear rigs on the actual stunt?

38 minutes ago, dudeman17 said:

Must be running out of 'net' money.

-------

Okay, that was a bit snarky, but the following isn't. Genuine, curious questions...

Other than the net jump and Baumgartner's jump, what else has he worked on?

Are they planning to not wear rigs on the actual stunt?

Good question. The promo videos I have seen make that unclear. The CG sim shows wingsuits with no visible rig. But that is not stated and likely because the whole point is to make it appear as risky as they possibly can in order to get as many viewers as possible.

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

I just do not like the term 'engineer' being tossed around willy nilly.  Some of us worked very hard for that title.

Jerry Baumchen

There does seem to be at least one person on the project who is a real engineer.

"Paulo is renowned Brazilian aeronautical engineer Paulo Iscold,"

6 hours ago, chuckakers said:

I know both Luke and Andy personally. I don't doubt for a minute that they have the abilities to pull off the stunt.