1 1
kallend

Daylight shifting time

10 minutes ago, Bigfalls said:

Chickens have it figured out, they start crowing at sunrise and roost at sunset and they don't even have clocks.

Around here skydivers generally go from 9 AM till sunset. They aren't as ambitious as chickens.

9 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Around here skydivers generally go from 9 AM till sunset. They aren't as ambitious as chickens.

Well, the bigger DZ I jump at starts up at 8 in the summer. That means show up at 7ish.

In June & July, they keep sending loads until well after 8. 

They'd lose an hour of evening daylight (it would be light for longer before anyone showed up)  if there wasn't daylight savings (I know that's not the proposal).
Or they'd have to start up at 7, show up at 6ish.

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

I should have known that when you said OK, you didn't actually mean OK. That is the only way this becomes a strawman.

I'm OK with quite a few things that I neither promote nor recommend.  I expect you are too.

Interesting detailed analysis of the physiological issues associated with time changes::

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphys.2019.00944/full

DST is simply a work-time arrangement, nothing more than a decision to go to school/work an hour earlier. As such, it is not a decision that should be made by the world, by unions of countries (e.g., the EU), or by individual countries, neither at the federal nor the state level. Work-time arrangements are decisions that a workforce could decide at the company level. Therefore, anyone who wants to spend more time at home in daylight after work should convince his/her company and co-workers to advance their start time during certain months of the year or even better: introduce flexibility for individual workers where possible to accommodate differences in personal biological and social requirements.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Interesting detailed analysis of the physiological issues associated with time changes::

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphys.2019.00944/full

DST is simply a work-time arrangement, nothing more than a decision to go to school/work an hour earlier. As such, it is not a decision that should be made by the world, by unions of countries (e.g., the EU), or by individual countries, neither at the federal nor the state level. Work-time arrangements are decisions that a workforce could decide at the company level. Therefore, anyone who wants to spend more time at home in daylight after work should convince his/her company and co-workers to advance their start time during certain months of the year or even better: introduce flexibility for individual workers where possible to accommodate differences in personal biological and social requirements.

Are you still going on about this?

That's it, I've just about had enough of this. If they make standard time permanent, I'm starting a civil war*! We clearly cannot work as a society and therefore the only recourse is to start killing each other. We all need to pick sides and fight it out to see who wins. Instead of calling it 'North vs. South' or 'The War of Northern Aggression' since those names have already been taken we will call it 'Right Side vs. Wrong Side'.

Those on the Right Side who believe like me should believe:

• Daylight Savings Time all year
  • Vaccines Saves Lives and should be mandated when appropriate
  • Masks do help prevent the spread of disease and should be mandatory when appropriate
  •  Abortion is a woman's right and not dictated by others
  • The world is a sphere and therefore needs different time zones
  • Religion should lose its tax exempt status and abolished in any political or legal discussion

Those on the Wrong Side should believe:

• Standard Time all year
  • Vaccines are used to control your thoughts
  • Masks are tyranny
  • Woman should be convicted of murder charges whenever a pregnancy is terminated including miscarriages
  • The world is flat and therefore why do we even need time zones - oh and only 6,000 years old because, reasons
  • American Taliban? Yes sign me up please

* I'm not literally starting a civil war, but you do you, boo. I'll sit back with some popcorn and watch - but only if it is not on pay-per-view.

19 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

That's it, I've just about had enough of this. If they make standard time permanent, I'm starting a civil war*! We clearly cannot work as a society and therefore the only recourse is to start killing each other. We all need to pick sides and fight it out to see who wins. Instead of calling it 'North vs. South' or 'The War of Northern Aggression' since those names have already been taken we will call it 'Right Side vs. Wrong Side'.

• Masks do help prevent the spread of disease and should be mandatory when appropriate
  • Religion should lose its tax exempt status and abolished in any political or legal discussion

• Standard Time all year
  • Masks are tyranny
  • Woman should be convicted of murder charges whenever a pregnancy is terminated including miscarriages
  • The world is flat and therefore why do we even need time zones - oh and only 6,000 years old because, reasons

* I'm not literally starting a civil war, but you do you, boo. I'll sit back with some popcorn and watch - but only if it is not on pay-per-view.

Hi X-1,

Re:  we will call it 'Right Side vs. Wrong Side'.

As long as you include which side of the road we drive on, I'm in.

Jerry Baumchen

30 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

• Standard Time all year
  • Masks are tyranny

You forgot that knives should go sharp end down in the dishwasher.

44 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Here I am going on about this. Morning prayers. As good a reason as any.....

https://apnews.com/article/religion-prayer-congress-a9cfba79b5786d369e6894b94bd1ca9a

I sincerely hope they win. I'm even O.K. if the win includes the rest of us being forced to participate in morning prayers, by Zoom if necessary. No amount of logic or reason has worked to convince the religious to leave the rest of us alone so lets up the ante by forcing a completely ridiculous accommodation on everyone.