1 1
kallend

Daylight shifting time

So the US Senate, by unanimous consent, approved the elimination of "Spring forward, Fall back".

We don't save any daylight (or lose any darkness) by manipulating the clocks.  All we do is move the nominal time of daylight (and darkness) around a clock face in an arbitrary manner.

The entire concept is stupid.

(edited)
1 hour ago, kallend said:

So the US Senate, by unanimous consent, approved the elimination of "Spring forward, Fall back".

We don't save any daylight (or lose any darkness) by manipulating the clocks.  All we do is move the nominal time of daylight (and darkness) around a clock face in an arbitrary manner.

I hate the time change twice a year. I really would have preferred if they had adopted standard time instead of savings time.

This has been done in the past, it wasn't really a success. Can't say I am looking forward to 9 am darkness.

Edited by SkyDekker

38 minutes ago, kallend said:

Wendy,

Those who live by the clock are welcome to change their timetable anyhow they like.  Why should the rest of us be inconvenienced for their benefit when they can fix their own problem.

Oh come on -- that's right up there with saying "if you don't like your job, just get a  new one" in a tight job market. If you work for someone who uses a clock, you're on their clock.

Wendy P.

38 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Oh come on -- that's right up there with saying "if you don't like your job, just get a  new one" in a tight job market. If you work for someone who uses a clock, you're on their clock.

Wendy P.

Not buying it.

Those who REALLY need to work by the clock use Zulu time anyway.

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

I really would have preferred if they had adopted standard time instead of savings time.

I vote for daylight savings time year round. Like we are going to make this a poll on DZ.com. I just don't understand how Manchin and Sinema couldn't conspire to kill this bill too?

During the energy crisis in the 70's, the State of Georgia decided to go on daylight savings time during the winter, supposedly to save some trivial amount of energy. A couple of weeks later, after a couple of children had been killed by cars when crossing the street in the dark, that was abandoned.

1 hour ago, headoverheels said:

During the energy crisis in the 70's, the State of Georgia decided to go on daylight savings time during the winter, supposedly to save some trivial amount of energy. A couple of weeks later, after a couple of children had been killed by cars when crossing the street in the dark, that was abandoned.

A problem that needn't be solved by making everyone change their clocks twice a year.  Just start and end school an hour later if the community thinks it needs to.

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Not much is going to solve some of the other problems associated with Daylight Savings Time though:

https://savestandardtime.com/sources/#studies

Should have picked Standard time to fix year round.

I'm ok with whatever is picked, but it shouldn't be changed biannually  for a bogus reason to "save" daylight when it does nothing of the sort.   The research you cite suggests that it's the changing that causes the problems.

(edited)
7 hours ago, kallend said:

Hi John,

Since, I think, you are retired, as I am, I think the The entire concept is unimportant.

I only set an alarm clock when I have something important in the morning; such as, a medical app't that I could not get later in the day.

I'm more of a night-person than a morning-person.

Pick one ( I prefer DST ) and stick with it.  After all, it is only numbers on some device.

Jerry Baumchen

Edited by JerryBaumchen

5 hours ago, kallend said:

Not buying it.

Those who REALLY need to work by the clock use Zulu time anyway.

When I began working for networking department for a large multi-national tech corporation, the practice had been to put all the network devices on the local time for where they were located. Using log files from multiple devices in multiple timezones to troubleshoot network issues was a huge PITA!

While I was there, we switched them all to Zulu time, and everyone in the department was on board with the idea.

1 hour ago, NewGuy2005 said:

I would like to see us go to Universal Time.

Eh, if they did that then everyone would immediately get an app on their phone to show local time.  And Google Calendar would automatically translate everything.

1 hour ago, NewGuy2005 said:

I would like to see us go to Universal Time.

As long as we life on a rotating planet revolving around a star giving us night and day we will live our lives by some sort of local time. We are still diurnal mammals.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Not much is going to solve some of the other problems associated with Daylight Savings Time though:

https://savestandardtime.com/sources/#studies

Should have picked Standard time to fix year round.

Agreed. The fundamental principal of the 24-hour clock is that 1200/12am is the middle of the daylight hours, and 0000/12pm/2400 is the middle of the night hours. Permanent DST will mean starting out the winter mornings in the dark which may not have occurred to the proponents.

But whatever timezone is chosen, not fucking around with the clocks twice a year is a huge improvement!

I expect all the ski areas here in CO will be permanently shifting their operating hours by one hour.

15 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi John,

Since, I think, you are retired, as I am, I think the The entire concept is unimportant.

I only set an alarm clock when I have something important in the morning; such as, a medical app't that I could not get later in the day.

I'm more of a night-person than a morning-person.

Pick one ( I prefer DST ) and stick with it.  After all, it is only numbers on some device.

Jerry Baumchen

Jerry - I'm with you. There was a time when I'd wake up and not know what day it was. Then a wise person told me that every day is Saturday except Sunday. No more confusion.

32 minutes ago, billeisele said:

Jerry - I'm with you. There was a time when I'd wake up and not know what day it was. Then a wise person told me that every day is Saturday except Sunday. No more confusion.

Someone once explained the benefit of DST being that one 'got more daylight.'

My response was that the responsibility was too great, that if I set my clock incorrectly the sun would never go down.

He didn't get it.

Going to DST full time reinforces the principle that Congress, in order to fix a stupid policy, must do so by implementing another stupid policy.

BSBD,

Winsor

33 minutes ago, winsor said:

Going to DST full time reinforces the principle that Congress, in order to fix a stupid policy, must do so by implementing another stupid policy.

It is merely another example of people try to have it both ways and not being willing to pay an price in inconvenience.