Deimian

Sabre 2 vs Volt/Magellan/Lotus/?

So I'll start hunting soon for a Sabre 2 135, which I will load at 1.35~1.4. I'll make the transition at the beginning of next season, after some warm up days at the DZ, so I have time to think and choose wisely.

I'm aiming for a slow introduction to landings with induced airspeed. That's why I am interested in Sabre 2 and similar canopies. Pilots and Safires seem to dive a bit less and have a flatter trim, so I am not really interested in them, and neither I am in more aggressive canopies like Katanas.

Also, 135 is the absolute smallest my container can fit, so I would be more interested in a canopy that packs big, than in one that packs small.

Keeping that in mind, I have a few questions, so input to any of them would be appreciated:

-How do the recovery arc and the "trim steepness" of the Volt/Magellan/Lotus compare to the ones of the Sabre 2? I have seen the flight characteristic descriptions, but comparable input instead of the usual marketing wording would be interesting.

-How do these canopies pack with respect to the Sabre 2? Larger or smaller?

-Any other canopy that I should consider?

Just for information: I've demoed a Nitron 135 and a Crossfire 139 (as well as a Sabre 2 135).

I've discarded the Crossfire because it fits very loose in my container (more than the Sabre 2) and because I don't like the superlong openings.

I've discarded the Nitron because I want my next container to fit a 120 tight, which wouldn't allow me to put a Nitron 120 on it, since it packs pretty big. If I go for a Nitron now I can't go for a Nitron 120 later. That would mean that I either change to Sabre 2 again, which is not a very consistent progression, or I look for an elliptical canopy that packs smaller than a Nitron, and whose characteristics fit my needs (not overaggressive and not superslow openings).

Another reason to discard these 2 canopies is to avoid rushing into fully elliptical territory. I enjoyed using them, I didn't have any problem, and I think I can handle them without issues, but I don't want to allow my ego to dictate my canopy progression :P. My current plan is Sabre 2 class 135 -> Sabre 2 class 120 -> Crossfire 2 class 119 -> ?. But that's far in the future so it might change.

I fly a magellan 170 myself and I like it a lot. Has great range and swoops pretty decent too. Compared to sabre 2 it is pretty similar, maybe slightly steeper trim. Easy on rears and not too bad on fronts...

No idea about pack volume but I expect about the same as sabre 2 or alike. One interesting fact is that you can get either 140 or 130 size magellan.

Oh, it's also way cheaper than sabre 2 so you dont have feel bad about dropping a size or two after a season.

I can only speak of Lotus vs Pilot. The Lotus has a steeper trim, is a faster canopy and has a shorter toggle stroke. It does have pretty high front riser pressure.
About 6" of toggle will plane out the canopy and it has an awesome glide. I had a Pilot 188 ZPX which was a loose fit in my Icon I6. My Lotus 170 is a tight fit after I lengthened the closing loop. (It was shortened for the Pilot) Love my Lotus :-)

Blis

I fly a magellan 170 myself and I like it a lot. Has great range and swoops pretty decent too. Compared to sabre 2 it is pretty similar, maybe slightly steeper trim. Easy on rears and not too bad on fronts...

No idea about pack volume but I expect about the same as sabre 2 or alike. One interesting fact is that you can get either 140 or 130 size magellan.

Oh, it's also way cheaper than sabre 2 so you dont have feel bad about dropping a size or two after a season.

From my experience Magellan is less steeper than Saber 2. It's closer to Safire 2.

I did not find a Nitron packs any bigger than a Sabre2 of the same size. Now, a Nitro made with the SA Gelvanor fabric does pack about one canopy size larger. My Nitro 135 packs the same size as my Nitron 150.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

monkycndo

I did not find a Nitron packs any bigger than a Sabre2 of the same size. Now, a Nitro made with the SA Gelvanor fabric does pack about one canopy size larger. My Nitro 135 packs the same size as my Nitron 150.

You are totally right, I mixed up the names. I meant Nitro, not Nitron.